Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/devjits-work-laptop.86179/

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It is a well known issue, that Windows Defender can cause slowdowns on some computers. There were many posts about this behavior. But on many computers, WD is OK even with small resources and average CPU. Generally, it is also confirmed on AV Labs performance tests.
Consuming 30% CPU resources is not normal. The Quick or even the Full Scan can usually consume about 30% of CPU resources on computers with CPU like the old Intel i3 processor and 4GB RAM. I noticed a better behavior on Windows 10 ver. 1803, because on earlier versions the Full Scan usually consumed 50%. If WD is not scanning, then there should not be any slowdowns.
In my case, I can see occasional slowdowns during Windows Updates, WD updates, and updates from Microsoft store. In most cases, I can see that Windows Defender CPU consumption is simply 0%.
Anyway, if WD is not working, then the light AV + any default-deny setup with script blocking + document protection will be OK.

Agreed. My machine is 8 yrs. old with a HDD and WD runs very well, but of course the Full scan is very sloooowwww! I never notice when it does an automatic quick scan and I'm surprised when I get the notification. I think it does slow browsing just a wee bit though.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I can recommend the below to make the laptop more responsive:
  1. Make a full disk image on the external drive, as a backup solution. Be sure, that you can boot from DVD or the pendrive to restore the old factory system from this backup.
  2. Make a fresh Windows 10 installation.
  3. Let Windows install its own drivers.
  4. Install additional drivers only if Windows drivers do not work.
  5. Do not install the Lenowo, Dell, etc. factory software (bloatware) for computer maintenance.
  6. Do not install registry cleaners, disk cleaners, and other similar software - all are already present in Windows 10.
  7. Do not install 3rd party AV.
  8. Use SysHardener (light SRP) to block scripts and protect against weaponized documents or Hard_Configurator default-deny setup (stronger but requires some learning). Both solutions do not introduce the new drivers or realtime programs - they simply configure in the Windows Registry the built-in Windows features.
  9. Use ConfigureDefender or PowerShell cmdlets to activate Windows Defender ASR.
I made the above on some laptops, that were veeery slow, just after buying from the shop. The difference was as evident, as for the old man who suddenly lost many years to feel as in the prime of his life. The computer will love you, and you will be happy.
Be safe.(y)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I can recommend the below to make the laptop more responsive:...

… I made the above on some laptops, that were veeery slow, just after buying from the shop. The difference was as evident, as for the old man who suddenly lost many years to feel as in the prime of his life. The computer will love you, and you will be happy.
Be safe.(y)

Oh @Andy Ful - you always employ the most beautiful analogies! (y)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I can recommend the below to make the laptop more responsive:
  1. Make a full disk image on the external drive, as a backup solution. Be sure, that you can boot from DVD or the pendrive to restore the old factory system from this backup.
  2. Make a fresh Windows 10 installation.
  3. Let Windows install its own drivers.
  4. Install additional drivers only if Windows drivers do not work.
  5. Do not install the Lenowo, Dell, etc. factory software (bloatware) for computer maintenance.
  6. Do not install registry cleaners, disk cleaners, and other similar software - all are already present in Windows 10.
  7. Do not install 3rd party AV.
  8. Use SysHardener (light SRP) to block scripts and protect against weaponized documents or Hard_Configurator default-deny setup (stronger but requires some learning). Both solutions do not introduce the new drivers or realtime programs - they simply configure in the Windows Registry the built-in Windows features.
  9. Use ConfigureDefender or PowerShell cmdlets to activate Windows Defender ASR.
I made the above on some laptops, that were veeery slow, just after buying from the shop. The difference was as evident, as for the old man who suddenly lost many years to feel as in the prime of his life. The computer will love you, and you will be happy.
Be safe.(y)
Thank you soooo soooo much for mentioning the above points. Last time I did download all the drivers and softwares from the HP Website. This time, I followed your advice and let Windows install all the drivers and update the store apps. I have used SysHardener to block Powershell, SMB, Remote Connections, WSH. For the antivirus I have gone with Avast Free(Hardened Mode set to Aggressive) with a Custom Install, selecting only the four shields and Windows Firewall is set to block all incoming connections. Now my laptop is running as smooth as the wind and it loves me back too :)

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Guys I have one question. Can I use voodooshield Free alongwith Avast Free when Hardened Mode is set to Aggressive?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Probably You don't need it (if SysHardened already), but try by Yourself and let us know how it performs :giggle:

A VPN Service for Web Privacy would be welcome.

Please kindly specify the exact version of Avast Free (in number), thanks.

Reactions: Wraith

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Avast w/ VoodooShield could be fairly overkill as you could set Avast to hardened mode aggressive. Especially if you have Syshardener.

~LDogg

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
UPDATE:
Removed Avast Free
Added Panda Dome Free, Voodooshield Free and OSArmor

Reactions: harlan4096

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Avast w/ VoodooShield could be fairly overkill as you could set Avast to hardened mode aggressive. Especially if you have Syshardener.

~LDogg
Kept voodooshield since I removed avast. I used SysHardener portable as a one time set and forget application whereas I think voodooshield and OSArmor will provide me with Real-time protection.

Reactions: harlan4096

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Kept voodooshield since I removed avast. I used SysHardener portable as a one time set and forget application whereas I think voodooshield and OSArmor will provide me with Real-time protection.
That is correct. OSArmor w/ Syshardener can be all you need sometimes when twinned with an AV.

~LDogg

Reactions: Wraith

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
UPDATE:
Removed Voodooshield since Exe files were taking longer to execute. Now I have Panda and OSArmor and my laptop runs like a breeze. I don't think I need NVT ERP since I have OSArmor(tweaked). My aim is to have a security combo that is light while being effective and layered. OSArmor is a fantastic little piece of software that covers many attack surfaces that most Antivirus miss. Thanks to everyone here for all the suggestions.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
All right guys so I was browsing through the MalwareTips Forums and from the Giveaway section, I got Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 180 days trial version for 3 PCS. I installed BD on my mom's and dad's laptops and all went smoothly. Now I am contemplating whether to remove Panda Dome from my laptop and replace it with BD 2019. What are your suggestions regarding this?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.