Question Did I do damage to KTS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
So I'm trying to let thru the original version of Cheat Engine 7.5. I'm still working on it because KTS keeps blocking it.

Anyway I just realized I had accidentally reset the group, subgroup and application settings for all 4 groups: Trusted, Restricted and Untrusted

How can I check if I didn't accidentally damage the security of KTS and thus my system?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
You can check the integrity of your KTS by performing a system scan. If it identifies any threats, follow the recommended actions. Also, ensure your KTS is updated to the latest version. If you still feel uncertain, you can always restore the default settings of KTS.

Mar 10, 2024
So I'm trying to let thru the original version of Cheat Engine 7.5. I'm still working on it because KTS keeps blocking it.

Anyway I just realized I had accidentally reset the group, subgroup and application settings for all 4 groups: Trusted, Restricted and Untrusted

How can I check if I didn't accidentally damage the security of KTS and thus my system?
So you are installing sketchy software, your security is blocking it and you are letting it through? Classic example of security will not save you from yourself. Why bother with tweaking the software to begin with?

• Wow
Reactions: Studynxx

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
So you are installing sketchy software, your security is blocking it and you are letting it through? Classic example of security will not save you from yourself. Why bother with tweaking the software to begin with?
It's not malware, that's the point. The way it works is it reads your RAM and makes changes to it. I only want to use these Cheat Tables for fun. The entire software is open source. Now if it was some non-open-source random thing, sure I'd understand

Mar 10, 2024
It's not malware, that's the point. The way it works is it reads your RAM and makes changes to it. I only want to use these Cheat Tables for fun. The entire software is open source. Now if it was some non-open-source random thing, sure I'd understand
You are capable of reading it to find any malicious code that could be embedded?

Have you run the file through verification, have you researched it online "I did and everyone states it's sketchy" and your security is flagging it, what does this tell you.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
You are capable of reading it to find any malicious code that could be embedded?

Have you run the file through verification, have you researched it online "I did and everyone states it's sketchy" and your security is flagging it, what does this tell you.
I do use HitmanPro latest version to scan such files for a second opinion, it came back clean. Downloaded it from the official source. It's just the way Cheat Engine works.
If you look at the IPs and the domains it tries to talk to, it's clean. Also, on VT, Kaspersky says it's clean as does BitDefender.

I'm having issues with letting it thru tho: Under "Trusted Applications", what do I have to tick in order for it to be able to do what it needs to do so that the installation will be complete and final?

1714173363149.png

Mar 10, 2024
I do use HitmanPro latest version to scan such files for a second opinion, it came back clean. Downloaded it from the official source. It's just the way Cheat Engine works.
If you look at the IPs and the domains it tries to talk to, it's clean. Also, on VT, Kaspersky says it's clean as does BitDefender.

I'm having issues with letting it thru tho: Under "Trusted Applications", what do I have to tick in order for it to be able to do what it needs to do so that the installation will be complete and final?

View attachment 283015
At this point I will not help you chose what to tick in the application because I have not personally verified the file. I suggest before you add any more software "especially sketchy ones" you read up and learn the product thoroughly because adjusting "tweaking" settings wrong can certainly place you in a more vulnerable state. If the application you are allowing through has been known to be sketchy and you make exceptions for it, you are literally allowing it to do what it wants regardless of the security, might as well not have any security installed approaching it that way.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
At this point I will not help you chose what to tick in the application because I have not personally verified the file. I suggest before you add any more software "especially sketchy ones" you read up and learn the product thoroughly because adjusting "tweaking" settings wrong can certainly place you in a more vulnerable state. If the application you are allowing through has been known to be sketchy and you make exceptions for it, you are literally allowing it to so what it wants regardless of the security, might as well not have any security installed approaching it that way.
I did and Kaspersky says it's clean

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
Are you sure, you have created multiple threads today with issues from Kaspersky including this OP above that stated you were having trouble letting it through.
I mean yes because it's trying to move a file KernelModuleUnloader and Kaspersky's not letting it thru even tho I did put it in the Trusted category

So KernelModuleUnlaoder.exe unloads the Kernel Module which you have to do if you wanna play games like CoD otherwise their anti-cheat engines are gonnaban you

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024
I mean yes because it's trying to move a file KernelModuleUnloader and Kaspersky's not letting it thru even tho I did put it in the Trusted category

So KernelModuleUnlaoder.exe unloads the Kernel Module which you have to do if you wanna play games like CoD otherwise their anti-cheat engines are gonnaban you

I understand what it is but am not going to help you make an exception for that and or use cheat codes for games. There is a reason it's deemed sketchy and being stopped by your security.

Just as you need to learn the security before you just tweak it without knowing what the settings do.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
I understand what it is but am not going to help you make an exception for that and or use cheat codes for games. There is a reason it's deemed sketchy and being stopped by your security.

Just as you need to learn the security before you just tweak it without knowing what the settings do.
Learn the security? I have reset it since and re-applied Harlan's changes ie High Restricted for those apps that couldn't be categorized and for those apps that loaded before KTS loaded up, and Do Not Trust Digitally Signed Programs, and added a Master Password for the entire app for anti-tampering KTS. These are all the changes I've made. Nothing else. I don't intend to tweak them any more than that

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
CheatEngine is often detected for two reasons:
1) It's a tool that can be used to effect direct changes to memory and so is very easy to use it to deploy an attack
2) The installer used to have an adware included. It was easy to bypass it by turning off your net connection while installing. I have no idea if the current version still does carry an active adware in the installer.

So be careful to download it only from their home page and be careful while installing it.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
CheatEngine is often detected for two reasons:
1) It's a tool that can be used to effect direct changes to memory and so is very easy to use it to deploy an attack
2) The installer used to have an adware included. It was easy to bypass it by turning off your net connection while installing. I have no idea if the current version still does carry an active adware in the installer.

So be careful to download it only from their home page and be careful while installing it.
yes I skip thru all 3 of those bundled sh#t. I only need CE. From their original homepage, CheatEngine.org.

Can you tell me how to unblock the file? Putting it in Trusted category wasn't enough, KernelModuleUnloader keeps getting blocked during the installation. I just wanna tweak my games for my fun, offline, no multiplayer.

Reactions: Khushal

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
yes I skip thru all 3 of those bundled sh#t. I only need CE. From their original homepage, CheatEngine.org.

Can you tell me how to unblock the file? Putting it in Trusted category wasn't enough, KernelModuleUnloader keeps getting blocked during the installation. I just wanna tweak my games for my fun, offline, no multiplayer.
The most straightforward way I can think of right now would be to set KTS to quarantine the file automatically or ask the user what to do then set it to trusted. It shouldn't disturb you anymore. Don't forget to restore the setting to whatever you were using before.

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Do a drive image of your machine at it's un-infected state.
Uninstall Kaspersky
Install the Cheat
Play the game offline, don't connect the machine online.
When you have finished playing the game, Restore from drive image, then you can resume going online, web browsing, emailing .etc.

• HaHa

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
Well I was kidding. You can go online while the Cheat is installed and Kaspersky is not. Just backup your data and Restore from drive image when you are done with your game. Restoring from drive image protects you from the bad case where the Cheat has some kind of bad effect.

Reactions: Nevi

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
My reply in Kaspersky Community:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.