Did your upgrade to Windows 10 go smoothly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Upgraded a laptop and a desktop, both very smooth and fast, about 30min for the laptop and 20min for the desktop with having the files already on the systems through the reservation process, then did a clean install on the desktop, also very smooth and quick, the laptop is pretty new so no clean install as it didn't have too much on it. Since upgrading on the 29th I have only seen a few freezes from Edge and some quirkiness from Cortana but nothing serious at all, kinda funny actually

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Nope 5 failed attempts, still on Windows 7 here. :(

Hi,

@frogboy How you tried to upgrade, via Windows 10 tray icon or with Media Creation Tool?

I recommend to try out following method:
  1. Close Windows 10 upgrade notification (system tray icon). You can close this process (GWX.exe) with Task Manager
  2. Delete folders and files in Windows updates folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  3. Delete $Windows.~BT folder (hidden folder) on main drive
  4. Perform Disk cleanup
  5. Restart computer and re-close Windows 10 upgrade notification (system tray icon)
  6. Download Windows Media Creation Tool from here
  7. Finally start upgrade via downloaded Tool
At work 2 out of 3 computers failed to upgrade via Windows 10 icon on system tray. Then I followed mentioned steps and upgraded succesfully via Media Creation Tool.

I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hi,

@frogboy How you tried to upgrade, via Windows 10 tray icon or with Media Creation Tool?

I recommend to try out following method:
  1. Close Windows 10 upgrade notification (system tray icon). You can close this process (GWX.exe) with Task Manager
  2. Delete folders and files in Windows updates folder: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
  3. Delete $Windows.~BT folder (hidden folder) on main drive
  4. Perform Disk cleanup
  5. Restart computer and re-close Windows 10 upgrade notification (system tray icon)
  6. Download Windows Media Creation Tool from here
  7. Finally start upgrade via downloaded Tool
At work 2 out of 3 computers failed to upgrade via Windows 10 icon on system tray. Then I followed mentioned steps and upgraded succesfully via Media Creation Tool.

I hope it helps. :)

Regards,
Kardo
Thanks @Kardo Kristal i have tried 2 of the above mentioned methods, i plan to attempt to use the the media creation tool method next month. I have used to much data this month for another attempt at the moment. ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I tried upgrading with GWX but it stalled during process or the process was taking very long as I waited for 2 hours & then quit. The process was taking very long time on the screen where the circle spins...its the 1st or 2nd step after you hit your upgrade is ready continue.

The best, smooth & fast way to upgrade is ISO/USB IMHO.
Prepare an ISO or Bootable USB.
Use ISO or Bootable USB & run setup.exe within or from inside your current OS to upgrade.
After upgrade completes...check activation is successful.
Now you can perform fresh install i.e Boot from USB & peform fresh install.

I upgraded the system the above mentioned way. After activation was successful...booted from USB & performed fresh install. No upgrade/activation & fresh install/activation prob.

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
Upgraded friends older PC rig with Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it worked flawleslly. On my laptop and desktop PC I made fresh install from genuine copy of OS which I got from college which is in Dreamspark Premium program.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nope :( Total Disaster happened unwillingly have to reset the whole pc and reinstalled everything
What upgrade path did you take? Did you upgrade from Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 Preview build?

Do you have an emergency backup of all your data?

Reactions: Der.Reisende

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
What upgrade path did you take? Did you upgrade from Windows 7, 8.1 or 10 Preview build?

Do you have an emergency backup of all your data?
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 from GWX and upgrade process went flawlessly took about 1 hour coz my laptop is bit old but then their were driver issues and software compatibility issues, system.exe memory leaking problem and most deadly BSOD so I resetted the whole Windows and all problems were gone mainly BSOD and system.exe memory leaking
I have External portable hard which I use as a Backup for all of my media coz I didn't care about my software's

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Had to reinstall Kaspersky on my online banking laptop, was removed silently by Win10, there seems to be an old revision linked on German based PC magazine Chip.de, couldn't install, some .dll was missing (please don't ask me which, forgot, I used Qihoo 360 happily for 2 weeks). Weird thing was that HitmanPro Alert blocked it as malicious?!?
Now found a new (c)-revision of 2015 KIS suite on (also German based) ComputerBild, which could be installed flawlessly on the 64bit machine. It even found the licencing data from the "old" installation, so no further activation was necessary. Installation ran smoothely with exception of above mentioned Kaspersky issue, but took it's time to change from running (and updated) 8.1 -> 10, both Home.

On the virus playing tower (an elderly machine), upgrade ran smoothely (no issue with installed Qihoo, great piece of software), but took its time from running (and updated) 8.1 Pro -> 10 Pro.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
One of my PC upgraded successfully. It got activated and later did a clean install. No problem at all. Other one was also going smoothly, but had a power cut in the middle of the process. After restarting it automatically reverted back to Win 7. I then again tried to upgrade, but this time it said that Windows 7 is not activated. Really funny. But had made a backup just before upgrading, so will try again later on, but I think its going to be not so problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.