Advice Request Difference between Kaspersky Security Cloud & Kaspersky Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hi, I was wondering what the difference was between Kaspersky Security Cloud Free, and Kaspersky Free Antivirus? Is KSC pure Cloud protection and lighter or something? Also does it include all the features included in KFA?

https://usa.kaspersky.com/free-cloud-antivirus
https://www.kaspersky.com/free-antivirus
They have the same modules, but KSC allows the user to adjust the settings.
KSC is not a cloud only AV, it has to download signatures. I think the word "cloud" refers to the cloud management feature (you can manage from your Kaspersky account what you wanna install: VPN, parental control, Android AV and so on)
I tried it and it was quite good, but I think there is a bug: even if the Free version doesn't have a Firewall, I got a warning on Windows Security Center because Kaspersky Firewall wasn't working... and when I clicked "open Kaspersky Cloud Security for more details", the Firewall options actually opened :unsure:

KFA-KSC.jpg

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I don't see any point in making another same product. Why not integrating that cloud managament into Kaspersky Free then? One of the products will eventually be abandoned after some time, so why not doing it from the beginning? I can't take them serious with their free products.

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
So, is it better to just move from Kaspersky Free Antivirus 2019 to Kaspersky Security Cloud? Are they EXACTLY the same, with the added bonus that you can tweak more settings on KSC?

Reactions: AtlBo and Andrew999

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
So, is it better to just move from Kaspersky Free Antivirus 2019 to Kaspersky Security Cloud? Are they EXACTLY the same, with the added bonus that you can tweak more settings on KSC?
Yes, they have exactly the same functionalities, but KSC gives you the ability to adjust settings.
Anyway, I had problems with both of them:
  • KFA didn't update signatures automatically
  • KSC gave a warning in Windows Security Center about Kaspersky Firewall being disabled (even if the free versione doesn't have a firewall)

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Try to click "open Kaspersky Security Cloud for more details" from Windows Defender Security Center --> Firewall. I did so and I got a popup with the firewall settings... :unsure::unsure::unsure:
yea... for some reason, ksc free registers itself as firewall.

As all the security components are there, most likely they've released a half-baked cookie (network attack blocker).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.