Advice Request Difference between Kaspersky Security Cloud & Kaspersky Free?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I'm wondering if it will replace their current AV and IS in the future.
Looks like they advertise the premium version as a complete suite for the whole family. It starts from 89.99 dollar :emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful: which is way too much imo.
I have nothing against Kaspersky, but take a quick look at the advertised features through the eyes of the average pc user living in your own street:
Delivers personalized security alerts and tips on how to stay safe
Most computer users don't want stupid ads or security popups when it is totally not necessary to display them.
Removes pop-up ads from your PC so you can enjoy stress-free browsing
A lot of people already have ad-blocking extensions, so this is useless.
Probes your accounts for data leaks and advises you how to fix problems
I highly doubt Kaspersky can fix/scans every possible login page or account service for leaks + I don't want to get kasperksy looking with me in my personal accounts at all...
Automatically turns on secure VPN to let you email privately
The average computer user doesn't even know what a VPN is. More advanced users would like this, but it might slow down your internet anyway. There is no need to use a VPN all the time for most people. But nice ad for their service anyway.
Protects your credit card details by opening a secure browser when you buy stuff online
Never saw the need of a 'secure' browser. I guess an updated Chrome is even more 'secure' than a chromium clone of Kaspersky. People want to use their software they are used to. I still have to see the first one using an AV browser to do banking tbh.
Hides your private apps, calls and texts if someone picks up your Android phone
You mean super fancy face recognition to see if it is you who are picking up the phone?
Pinpoints them on a map and alerts you if their mobile is running low on battery
Seriously??? Why would you even want to know that....
Lets you order pizza quickly and safely by auto-filling your payment details
I'll use my banking app for that, no thanks...
Lets you share security with your loved ones at the touch of a button
I seriously don't know what this means...

And oh yes.... The marketing machine was running too fast, it even forgot to mention in the list of features it is actually an antivirus too...
I see seriously no way why you should pay so much for this...

wdc1

Level 1
Sep 9, 2019
security cloud doesn't work if you are not connected to internet, nothing at all, this is stupid. I installed it and uninstalled it when I discovered this.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
security cloud doesn't work if you are not connected to internet, nothing at all, this is stupid. I installed it and uninstalled it when I discovered this.
right and wrong
Kaspersky cloud only requires internet to register with its account once and for all
after that, it no longer requires internet
I'm long term user of the product. I work offline a lot

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
No, you're totally wrong. Just like the @Evjl's Rain said, it will require internet connection only when module updates occur and when connecting to My Kaspersky Account. It does store the virus signatures locally :)

wdc1

Level 1
Sep 9, 2019
By "not work" you mean it doesn't detect malware?
right and wrong
Kaspersky cloud only requires internet to register with its account once and for all
after that, it no longer requires internet
I'm long term user of the product. I work offline a lot
No, you're totally wrong. Just like the @Evjl's Rain said, it will require internet connection only when module updates occur and when connecting to My Kaspersky Account. It does store the virus signatures locally :)

I installed it yesterday and after reboot the icon stayed gray and the program showed a message saying "the program is disabled", only after I opened it and insert my login and password the program worked, tried several times after reboot, without login to "my kaspersky account" the icon in the taskbar stayed gray and the entire program didn't work at all.

wdc1

Level 1
Sep 9, 2019
As already said, KSCF needs to be logged to "My Kaspersky" service to be registered and activate the free license...
yes, I know, but what I'm saying is that, in my case, after activation the program kept asking to log in every time I turned on my pc, and if I didn't log in the program just stayed disabled.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
You have to keep the activation user/password active in the application, if delete or logg off from "My Kaspersky" service, then of course it will ask again... if this is not the case, then that is not a normal behaviour, I have installed these days 2 KSCFree in 2 systems and working fine and not asking loggin in every system start...

wdc1

Level 1
Sep 9, 2019
You have to keep the activation user/password active in the application, if delete or logg off from "My Kaspersky" service, then of course it will ask again... if this is not the case, then that is not a normal behaviour, I have installed these days 2 KSCFree in 2 systems and working fine and not asking loggin in every system start...
thanks but I found kaspersky free 2020 thanks to this forum and just finished installing it and I'm happy with it, for starters it doesn't ask for any activation or "my kaspersky" login and is far more light than security cloud free. I'll stick with kaspersky free versions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.