Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Integrated Kaspersky Firewall

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rocky

Comodo FW set per cruelsister's recommendations has been bullet proof here. I have two KIS licenses idling away because I believe Comodo FW is just a better option with alot less drama. I agree with one or the other , I wouldn't mix. But if you try CFW this way you probably won't go back to KIS.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Since KIS's firewall is integrated into the suite, unless I had a very compelling reason to not trust its effectiveness, I would not disable it to add some other firewall that may, or may not, offer anything more than what you already have.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm a little late to this debate, but,
What I have heard from many is, Comodo Firewall or Private Firewall. Both are light and very effective choices. :cool:

I did hear that Private is quite easier for a beginner then Comodo. Although Comodo is not too difficult, it just looks at first.

Kapersky's built in "Firewall" could cause slow downs or heavy on RAM, like with McAfee Firewall ? Might be something to consider, if a PC is quicker with Firewall OFF,... I'd use Comodo personally and I do use it! lol. oh yeah?! ;) No slowdown at all.

Sometimes I disable Comodo Firewall (blocked p2p), for Windows Firewall (allowed p2p) and it doesn't effect CIS 8 functions or settings... it's cool like that. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: rocky

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Tony- Use my settings and please share one example. As it "completely fails" this shouldn't be such a burden.

That doesn't seem like an honest assumption does it? :eek: How would a highly regarded Firewall fail completely? lol :p

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For whatever reason Comodo attracts haters almost as much as Windows Defender Attracts malware. A majority of complaints are either about the AV (as if anyone should care), about the HIPS (the first thing I shut off), or some random baseless allegation (installed Comodo and 2 days later my dog died). With the easily made preferred configuration changes the product is as solid and quiet as one can get.

Last edited:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
the 300 million Kaspersky users I think says it all.

those numbers means nothing to me... it is more about marketing and so on... from those 300 million how many of them can really understand what KIS settings are? if there could be any, i think that those guys wouldnt need an AV, it is not about bugs an reputation, it is about how you can control as you wish and how much protection it would offer...

most kaspersky users will left the program with their out of the box configs, so as they arent experts on that you can consider that "huge" number when it comes to a good product

Reactions: rocky

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
While I am used to using Comodo firewall, I would if I were you hang on to KIS firewall. It actually works different than Comodo as cruelsister has enumerated. Why did you have Comodo firewall in mind? Why not a different firewall? Are you looking for something that you are used to having in Comodo that you do not see in KIS firewall? Or your just still uneasy with the KIS firewall....Might you tell us your reason why you feel the need to use a different firewall and why Comodo is your choice?

It might be just you are being overwhelmed of the change or the difference from your preferred firewall...I had that feeling the first time I used KIS (2013). Firewall was different and blocking certain files to access the internet at start was a bit of a challenge. Firewall settings for an application is also based on the rule that you set for the application. If you need help with the KIS firewall the gurus here will more than willing to help you out. Anyway as mentioned take the case of the image attached.

In KIS when you wanna block a browser launch trigger you'd have to do it in the Application Rules>File and System Registry . In Comodo you can do that with a HIPS ruleset>Run an executable. Here in Comodo you can set whatever application or file group that you don't want an application to trigger to run. D+ will block the hell out of it. In KIS you cannot specify that (I think). You just cant put a block in Application Rules>Rights>Process Control>Starting other application. If you do that you'll block all applications not just a browser launch.

tarw4H7.png

Bmbj9qy.png

Well this is just an example but I am no expert here. Both are good (in my own opinion) but If I were you I'd use KIS firewall and let it grow on me. When after a certain time you still do not like it or want something more than, say, what you see in Comodo then it'll be a change definitely. But mind you using Comodo firewall alongside KIS is not advisable and may cause performance issues. If you decide to use Comodo then it might be a good/sound decision to change your AV also and not just the firewall. Just my two cents :)

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I never knew you could configure Kaspersky's firewall in such detail. Thanks, I will look in to it. There would be no performance issue, Kaspersky is not compatible with Comodo, the only software that will work is Emsisoft and Malwarebytes, but Kaspersky does not play well with other software, especially security software.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
While I am used to using Comodo firewall, I would if I were you hang on to KIS firewall. It actually works different than Comodo as cruelsister has enumerated. Why did you have Comodo firewall in mind? Why not a different firewall? Are you looking for something that you are used to having in Comodo that you do not see in KIS firewall? Or your just still uneasy with the KIS firewall....Might you tell us your reason why you feel the need to use a different firewall and why Comodo is your choice?

It might be just you are being overwhelmed of the change or the difference from your preferred firewall...I had that feeling the first time I used KIS (2013). Firewall was different and blocking certain files to access the internet at start was a bit of a challenge. Firewall settings for an application is also based on the rule that you set for the application. If you need help with the KIS firewall the gurus here will more than willing to help you out. Anyway as mentioned take the case of the image attached.

In KIS when you wanna block a browser launch trigger you'd have to do it in the Application Rules>File and System Registry . In Comodo you can do that with a HIPS ruleset>Run an executable. Here in Comodo you can set whatever application or file group that you don't want an application to trigger to run. D+ will block the hell out of it. In KIS you cannot specify that (I think). You just cant put a block in Application Rules>Rights>Process Control>Starting other application. If you do that you'll block all applications not just a browser launch.

tarw4H7.png

Bmbj9qy.png

Well this is just an example but I am no expert here. Both are good (in my own opinion) but If I were you I'd use KIS firewall and let it grow on me. When after a certain time you still do not like it or want something more than, say, what you see in Comodo then it'll be a change definitely. But mind you using Comodo firewall alongside KIS is not advisable and may cause performance issues. If you decide to use Comodo then it might be a good/sound decision to change your AV also and not just the firewall. Just my two cents :)

Kaspersky wasn't giving enough alerts (for me) and i felt a bit insecure. So i gave others a shot, and different forums gave me Comodo as a good choice for security and RAM consuming.

You'd recommend another firewall? Stick with KIS? I've installed Comodo and my PC is so much faster now..

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
You need to use one or the other plus you need to remember that you will have 2 firewall drivers installed and these will conflict or cause issues.Remove one of the programs completely and make sure network drivers are removed too.

Reactions: jasonX

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Kaspersky wasn't giving enough alerts (for me) and i felt a bit insecure.

You like the pop-ups huh...some do not like it but after a while they get used to it. "Enough alerts" do vary from user-to-user. When I used KIS 2012 I remember that you can check all the check boxes in Notifications --> Settings.

http://support.kaspersky.com/10965#block3

You should try Online Armor for a change -- do not disable the HIPS, it throws a lot of pop-ups :).

You can add a small AE to your setup like NVT ERP. It is a nifty layer. See here,
http://malwaretips.com/threads/novirusthanks-exe-radar-pro-turns-freeware.40771/page-2

I just decided to uninstall Comodo and with no explanation, after reset, my wifi driver got screwed. Can't log into Internet.

On your connections going poof...it maybe that when you installed Comodo you have opted to use Comodo Secure DNS....It's optional during install but is "opt-in" by default. You may not have noticed it when you installed it...or just missed it. If that was the case, then when you uninstall Comodo it will not revert your DNS settings to your previous state. You can check this out here,

https://help.comodo.com/topic-72-1-...g-or-Disabling-Comodo-Secure-DNS-Service.html

On Kaspersky it also maybe that you have enabled "Load rules from Kaspersky Security Network".

Or have enabled both,

"Trust digitally signed applications"
"Load rules from Kaspersky Security Network".

If so I read somewhere (could not remember where) that KSN will automatically trust programs with legit digital sigs and based from the KSN (users of Kaspersky etc) will adjust the rules you set. If the KSN says that a certain application should be "trusted" and not Low/High Restricted/Untrusted KIS will change it because you have enabled the check boxes. It will do so regardless of what you set.

GW0Hm1H.png

It may be trusting more of your applications based on the KSN, the reason why you do not get some pop-ups(and if you have not enabled all (Screen/Sound) in the Notification settings, you won't get all the pop-ups you wanna see.

KSN.....From hjlbx's post,
If it's not trustworthy software, eventually it will get re-rated as more users restrict/block it and/or Kaspersky rates it as "Known Bad."

There is a complex algorithm that Kaspersky uses in rating files and assignment of rules that includes:

Number of users
What zone they assigned it to - Trusted, Low Restricted, High Restricted, Untrusted
Software vendor
Digital Certificate
Download source

There's probably a lot more to it than that, but that covers the most important.

You may want to check that.

hjlbx max settings post I think you should see.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/kaspersky-trusted-application-mode-tam-maximum-settings.43920/

When I was with KIS 2012 and I set my programs to Low Restricted(with notifications for screen/sound all enabled) I nearly hated it like I first tried Online Armor Premium. It would throw a lot of pop-ups (much like Comodo Firewall ver6). As I see in the image of Raul90 there is a "File and System Registry" tab and then "Rights" tab. I think if you set a program to Low Restricted --> Ask for action(if it's in the KIS 2015 gui -- mentioned that he's using Kaspersky Pure, I think KIS 2015 still has that..), you'll get the pop-ups that you like. I saw in the link below that it looks like this,

QqWNeKg.png

In any case I believe setting restrictions to all your applications as you prefer it and then uncheck "Trust digitally signed applications" alongside enabling all notifications will get you the pop-ups that you need. You can check this out also. I am reading this one but I like hjlbx's post more.

https://cyberraiden.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/kaspersky-internet-security-2015-review-settings/

In my opinion you should not pair KIS with any other firewall as it has built-in firewall driver. It may conflict with whatever you pair it with but in the end it will be you who will decide as you will be the user and it will be "your" preference. All we can give you are some scenarios / info/ advice.

Last edited:

SoundJudgment

Jul 10, 2014
One way or the other, I hope they are BOTH working hard to prepare for use on Windows 10 machines. That's going to become a big issue this Summer, and I would hate to see either group dragging its feet.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I was advised on the Kaspersky forum that if I want to combo Kaspersky 2016 with Comodo firewall free, that is okay. But I should not use Kaspersky Internet Security, instead, it is advisable to use the Kaspersky AV version.
This is because KIS has HIPS, and even if you disable the firewall component, there is still room for conflicts with Comodo HIPS.
But KAV does not have components that overlap and conflict with Comodo firewall free, so it's okay to combo.

I presently am running KAV with Comodo free, and I can see that the HIPS of Kaspersky was more permissive than the HIPS of Comodo is.
For example, in Comodo, even a permitted program is not going to be able to execute something like rundll32.exe, unless you let it. To get that level of restriction in Kaspersky, you have to turn on TAM, and deal with all that it entails.

I have Comodo set to show a minimum of alerts, so I am not bombarded.

Reactions: harlan4096 and Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.