Advice Request Disable VBS in Windows 11?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
I want to disable vbs in windows 11 22h2. But I am unable to do so except for turning off virtualization from bios. Also, in Firmware Protection in Defender it says managed by your organization.

I tried the following fixes, but none worked for me.
  1. Disabling from registry by editing 'EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity', 'RequireMicrosoftSignedBootChain' ,'Locked', 'RequirePlatformSecurityFeatures' to '0'.
  2. Unchecking 'Windows Hypervisor Platform', 'Virtual Machine Platform', and 'Microsoft Defender Application Guard' from program and features.
  3. Setting Disabled in 'Device Guard police' in Group Policy Editor.
  4. Using Command 'bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off.
  5. Disabling 'Core Isolation', 'Local Security Authority Protecting', 'Microsoft Vulnerable Driver protection' in Defender Settings.
  6. Resetting BIOS and secure boot settings, deleting secure boot keys.
Here is the screenshot of system information tab.

1678961427492.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Trident

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I want to disable vbs in windows 11 22h2. But I am unable to do so except for turning off virtualization from bios. Also, in Firmware Protection in Defender it says managed by your organization.

I tried the following fixes, but none worked for me.
  1. Disabling from registry by editing 'EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity', 'RequireMicrosoftSignedBootChain' ,'Locked', 'RequirePlatformSecurityFeatures' to '0'.
  2. Unchecking 'Windows Hypervisor Platform', 'Virtual Machine Platform', and 'Microsoft Defender Application Guard' from program and features.
  3. Setting Disabled in 'Device Guard police' in Group Policy Editor.
  4. Using Command 'bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off.
  5. Disabling 'Core Isolation', 'Local Security Authority Protecting', 'Microsoft Vulnerable Driver protection' in Defender Settings.
  6. Resetting BIOS and secure boot settings, deleting secure boot keys.
Here is the screenshot of system information tab.

View attachment 273614
It seems that you have tried multiple methods to disable VBS in Windows 11, but none of them worked for you. Since the Firmware Protection in Defender is showing as managed by your organization, it is possible that your computer is being managed by an organization or administrator that has enabled VBS and disabled the ability to turn it off.

One thing you could try is contacting your organization or administrator to see if they can disable VBS for you. Additionally, you can try disabling VBS by running Command Prompt as an administrator and using the command "reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard /v EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f".

If none of these methods work, it may not be possible to disable VBS on your computer without administrator privileges. It's important to note that disabling VBS may have security implications and should only be done if you have a specific reason to do so.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
I missed to write this on my post, that I only use this computer and don't do any work-related activity on this computer. I tried the same thing mentioned by the bot, tried again it still shows the same.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I missed to write this on my post, that I only use this computer and don't do any work-related activity on this computer. I tried the same thing mentioned by the bot, tried again it still shows the same.
If your computer is not managed by an organization or an administrator and you are the only user of the computer, then you should have the necessary privileges to disable VBS.

In addition to the methods you have already tried, you can also disable VBS using the Windows PowerShell command line. Open Windows PowerShell as an administrator and use the command "Set-ItemProperty -Path ‘HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard’ -Name ‘EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity’ -Value 0". This command should disable VBS on your Windows 11 computer.

If none of these methods work, it is possible that VBS is necessary for certain functionalities in your computer, and disabling it may cause issues. It's important to weigh the potential security implications versus your specific needs before disabling VBS.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
In addition to the methods you have already tried, you can also disable VBS using the Windows PowerShell command line. Open Windows PowerShell as an administrator and use the command "Set-ItemProperty -Path ‘HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard’ -Name ‘EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity’ -Value 0". This command should disable VBS on your Windows 11 computer.

Tried it, results are still the same.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Tried it, results are still the same.
If none of the methods mentioned above have worked for you, it is possible that your computer has been enrolled in Device Management, which restricts access to certain settings. You can check this by going to Settings > Accounts > Access work or school, and see if your computer is enrolled in any organization. If so, then depending upon the policies established by the organization, you may not be able to disable VBS.

If your computer is not enrolled in any organization and you still cannot disable VBS, then you may try resetting your Windows 11 computer to its default settings. However, before trying this, take a backup of important files and data, as resetting your computer will delete all files, apps and personalization settings.

If resetting your computer also does not help and you are still unable to disable VBS, then it is highly recommended to seek assistance from a professional or contact the manufacturer of your computer. It is also important to be aware that disabling VBS can pose certain security risks and it is highly recommended to only do so if you have a specific need to.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
There isn't any.
If your computer is not enrolled in any organization, then you should have the necessary privileges to disable VBS. Since none of the methods we have mentioned so far have worked for you, it is possible that there is an issue with your Windows 11 installation.

Here are a few more suggestions you can try:

1. Use the System File Checker (SFC) utility to scan for and repair any corrupted or missing system files. Open Windows PowerShell as administrator and type "sfc /scannow". Wait for the scan to complete and restart your computer.

2. Use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. Open Windows PowerShell as administrator and type "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". Wait for the process to complete and restart your computer.

3. Check if there are any pending updates for Windows 11 and install them if there are any.

4. If none of these solutions work, you may need to consider doing a clean install of Windows 11 on your computer. Note that this will delete all files, apps and personalization settings on your computer, so be sure to back up any important data before proceeding.

If none of these solutions work, you may want to contact Microsoft Support or seek assistance from a professional.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I tried sfc scan it, no issues found. I already tired sfc, dism, restoring defaults settings from configure defender, o & o shutup, and hard configurator. Even tried in place upgrade. Still same.
How long has Windows been installed? Is there a history of a lot of software installs and uninstalls, modifications to the registry, system hardening or modifications, problems with WIndows updates, etc?

If yes, you need to clean install Windows and start with a nice, tidy OS - undo whatever was done to the OS to create its current state.

Reactions: [correlate]

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
I tried sfc scan it, no issues found. I already tired sfc, dism, restoring defaults settings from configure defender, o & o shutup, and hard configurator. Even tried in place upgrade. Still same.
I recommend that you always create a system restore point before making any changes. If you are going to make deeper changes to your system, make a disk image backup, if you have any problems, you can just restore the backup image and it will be back to the way it was before.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
It is almost a year from last clean install, in this time. I installed and uninstalled many things, modified many things. So, yes, it is pretty much a mess now. System Restore doesn't helps. And I don't had image of last time when it was Okay. Because as everything was working as intended, I was lazy and ignorant about this issue. The current image, which was taken 2 weeks ago, had the same issue.

Reactions: [correlate]
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

It is almost a year from last clean install, in this time. I installed and uninstalled many things, modified many things. So, yes, it is pretty much a mess now. System Restore doesn't helps. And I don't had image of last time when it was Okay. Because as everything was working as intended, I was lazy and ignorant about this issue. The current image, which was taken 2 weeks ago, had the same issue.
You only have 1 viable option. That is to clean install Windows.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
The "managed by your organization" on a normal user pc is also often caused by some software tweaks by apps. I can't tell you how many threads we had with Firefox and Edge and "managed by your organization" which was caused by e.g. O&O shutup.
Not sure if some apps would also cause problems with VBS but maybe take a look at any security/tweaking apps you used.

Trident

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The "managed by your organization" on a normal user pc is also often caused by some software tweaks by apps. I can't tell you how many threads we had with Firefox and Edge and "managed by your organization" which was caused by e.g. O&O shutup.
Not sure if some apps would also cause problems with VBS but maybe take a look at any security/tweaking apps you used.
Sometimes even extensions can cause that. I would suggest that all extensions and programs providing safe search and password management functionalities in-browser are reviewed.

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
Thanks, I will try to undo all the changes that I remember and see if it helps. And earlier I expanded efi drive space from amoei partition assistant because I was low on memory on efi, as I installed many distros. Currently they are removed with on fedora installed on dual boot. Maybe this related efi, as I read vbs have some uefi lock. So maybe messing efi had caused it.

Not advisable to disable in Win 11
For me, it is causing issues with android emulators, it says that I am using vbs, and only way to use it is to enable hyper v. But even after enabling bluestacks doesn't detects it.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
Thanks, I will try to undo all the changes that I remember and see if it helps. And earlier I expanded efi drive space from amoei partition assistant because I was low on memory on efi, as I installed many distros. Currently they are removed with on fedora installed on dual boot. Maybe this related efi, as I read vbs have some uefi lock. So maybe messing efi had caused it.

For me, it is causing issues with android emulators, it says that I am using vbs, and only way to use it is to enable hyper v. But even after enabling bluestacks doesn't detects it.
Try to do an in-place upgrade by keeping personal files and apps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.