Advice Request Disk Cleaners - Which one would you use?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 77591
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Wise Disk Cleaner. It finds a lot of junk to clean, is to safe to you and you can schedule it to do automatic cleans. Another plus, is that it includes no registry cleaner.

You usually never need to clean the registry and the registry cleaners in CCleaner and Wise Care 360 will sometimes delete needed registry keys.

TRS-80

Level 1
Aug 16, 2019
Cleaning the registry does not improve your device's performance..on the other hand you may bork the system!

G'day @BadToad ,

All I can suggest is use your inbuilt system tools for cleaning the majority of the time.

Further, I want to reinforce @venustus comments quoted above. Repeat, repeat....... If you don't know what you're doing with the registry, request assistance. You don't need a “bricked” system.

There are many pieces of useful information supplied by all members who have responded. We all need to understand that there's no “magic bullet” as such.

Programs such as TFC were great prior to Windows 10. I have run TFC on Windows 10 machines with mixed results. Should be okay for Windows 7-8(?)

Always make a full disc image or, system image + backup, prior to using such tools. *Note that backup may not be capable of copying all files. My preference is a restore point + full disc image. Don't forget to create a Windows Repair Disc too!

Best of luck,

@TRS-80

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If you're not in desperate need of disk space I really see no reason to bother with cleaners.
It is about a computer maintenance. Many issues in Windows are caused by corrupted files and Windows fixes include cleaning caches and such.

You can clean teeth daily or your can wait till they go bad and then visit a dentist, but it will never be the same afterwards. Ever since I started to clean regularly, I have not seen BSOD, crashing explorer or other common issues. I did not start using cleaners because I was bored, they helped. Not to mention, that malware tends to run from Temp/internet cache folders after restart, so turning off of a computer with CCleaner might help.

Cleaning the registry does not improve your device's performance..on the other hand you may bork the system!
I have seen several cases, where it helped, an old entry prevented a software from installing or caused it crashing, also some serious driver issues. Windows 10 update once failed, because of an empty registry entry, MS released an update, which cleaned registry to fix it.

But many registry cleaners reviews are done by people, who have not even seen them. They just say, what they have heard. It is true, that in the past, there were bad/fake ones, but these days, they create backups/system restore points, but the stigma still stays, just like with Internet Explorer.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.