Software firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom RTP, Firewall and OS settings
Windows Security - Download and Opening apps both set to Block
AndyFulConfig Defender - High settings
Malware research
No - malware samples are not downloaded
Periodic scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (Lifetime)
DNS
AdGuard
VPN
None
Password manager
Last Pass
Browsers, Search and Addons
Firefox (Primary)
* Last Pass
* UBlock Origin
*AdGuard Browser Assistant
*Free Download Manager
PC maintenance
BleachBit
Personal Files & Photos backup
MEGA
Google Drive
Dropbox
PCloud
1TB External HD
Personal backup routine
Automatic (scheduled)
Device recovery & backup
Windows Recovery
Macrium Reflect (rarely)
Device backup routine
Manual (maintained by self)
PC activity
  1. Browsing the Web
  2. Checking emails
  3. Installing new software
  4. Visiting unknown sites
  5. File sharing
  6. Video games
  7. Photo and video
  8. Streaming content
Feedback Response

General feedback

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Hello everyone,

Here is my 2021 config, Not much has changed, though I did buy and are currently using AdGuard. Any feedback would be appreciated,

Thanks! :)
If you are using AdGuard I don't think you should also use uBlock Origin. One adblocker should be enough.
Maybe you can have a look at Simple Windows Hardening also from @Andy Ful to harden your system:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Hey, I have a personal question: is Ublock Origin better than AdGuard(system-wide) on Windows if you have Chrome as primary.?:unsure:
This is of course also personal. Both are great and AdGuard is system wide, but I prefer no root certificate and the better speed and more info what's connected plus the advanced blocking modes from uBlock Origin. IMO AdGuard is more set and forget and uBlock Origin more for people who want to tinker and get the most speed out of things. System wide adblocking can also (partly) be accomplished by using an adblocking DNS server.

Last edited:

SecureKongo

Level 11
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks for answering @Gandalf_The_Grey, I will stick with Adguard because it suits my needs right now, but I also have Adguard DNS filtering, is that OK, this is both on Windows & Android? o_O
If you use the Windows version you don't need to set Adguard DNS as DNS provider, as it blocks ads systemwide anyway. If you want to get ads blocked across multiple devices, you could set Adguard DNS on a router level and take another DNS provider like Cloudflare or Quad9 in the Adguard Windows app.

SecureKongo

Level 11
Feb 25, 2017
What would you guys recommend privacy wise? Are Privacy Possum or HTTPS Everywhere good? Any other suggestions?
Privacy Possum is outdated and HTTPS Everywhere is redundant as it got integrated into Firefox pretty recently. (You can find HTTPS-Only-Mode in the privacy settings)
Just use the built in tracking protection and set it to strict and maybe add LocalCDN or Decentraleyes. More "privacy" addons won't make you more private. :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for answering @Gandalf_The_Grey, I will stick with Adguard because it suits my needs right now, but I also have Adguard DNS filtering, is that OK, this is both on Windows & Android? o_O
Yes, if it works for you its ok to use AdGuard DNS filtering on Windows and Android. I have it on Android because of the new the new DNS-over-QUIC protocol. On iOS and iPadOS you need it for systemwide adblocking.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 43
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Apr 24, 2016