Last updated
Jun 18, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Windows Security - Download and Opening apps both set to Block
AndyFulConfig Defender - High settings
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium (Lifetime)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox (Primary)
* Bitwarden
*AdGuard Browser Assistant
*Free Download Manager
*SponserBlock
Secure DNS
AdGuard
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
BleachBit
File and Photo backup
MEGA
Google Drive
Dropbox
PCloud
1TB External HD
System recovery
Windows Recovery
Macrium Reflect (rarely)
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Nice config, but I would recommend using Hard_Configurator to harden OS + Firewall (Configure Defender included). Also, why are you using UBlock Origin while using Adguard Windows?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello everyone,

Here is my 2021 config, Not much has changed, though I did buy and are currently using AdGuard. Any feedback would be appreciated,

Thanks! :)
If you are using AdGuard I don't think you should also use uBlock Origin. One adblocker should be enough.
Maybe you can have a look at Simple Windows Hardening also from @Andy Ful to harden your system:

DJ Panda

Level 30
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah, thanks. I think the reason why I had added UBlock was that AdGuard either broke a site or didn't start. At one point WD refused to update AdGuard as well. I'll see if hard config works.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hey, I have a personal question: is Ublock Origin better than AdGuard(system-wide) on Windows if you have Chrome as primary.?:unsure:
This is of course also personal. Both are great and AdGuard is system wide, but I prefer no root certificate and the better speed and more info what's connected plus the advanced blocking modes from uBlock Origin. IMO AdGuard is more set and forget and uBlock Origin more for people who want to tinker and get the most speed out of things. System wide adblocking can also (partly) be accomplished by using an adblocking DNS server.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks for answering @Gandalf_The_Grey, I will stick with Adguard because it suits my needs right now, but I also have Adguard DNS filtering, is that OK, this is both on Windows & Android? o_O
If you use the Windows version you don't need to set Adguard DNS as DNS provider, as it blocks ads systemwide anyway. If you want to get ads blocked across multiple devices, you could set Adguard DNS on a router level and take another DNS provider like Cloudflare or Quad9 in the Adguard Windows app.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
What would you guys recommend privacy wise? Are Privacy Possum or HTTPS Everywhere good? Any other suggestions?
Privacy Possum is outdated and HTTPS Everywhere is redundant as it got integrated into Firefox pretty recently. (You can find HTTPS-Only-Mode in the privacy settings)
Just use the built in tracking protection and set it to strict and maybe add LocalCDN or Decentraleyes. More "privacy" addons won't make you more private. :)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks for answering @Gandalf_The_Grey, I will stick with Adguard because it suits my needs right now, but I also have Adguard DNS filtering, is that OK, this is both on Windows & Android? o_O
Yes, if it works for you its ok to use AdGuard DNS filtering on Windows and Android. I have it on Android because of the new the new DNS-over-QUIC protocol. On iOS and iPadOS you need it for systemwide adblocking.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
What would you guys recommend privacy wise? Are Privacy Possum or HTTPS Everywhere good? Any other suggestions?
With AdGuard Stealth Mode and Firefox HTTPS-Only Mode there is no need for those extensions:

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
With AdGuard Stealth Mode and Firefox HTTPS-Only Mode there is no need for those extensions:
Would you say that your statement is also true for Chrome? Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.