Advice Request DNS or VPN for shared home internet?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
It seems I'm gonna move to another city and I'm gonna live with others using the same internet.
I will have no access to the router and the WIFI has the default "not so secure" password.
Of course everyone is trustworthy on paper. :D
I use my system for online banking and a lot and I would like to avoid another slowdown which is almost unavoidable with VPN

Which one would you pick VPN or DNS and what is your recommendation or advice?

Thank you.

conditions

Level 1
Verified
Aug 3, 2014
i wouldnt use a vpn for online banking, or purchases.
Maybe you can use your phone hotspot to perform banking on laptop. it should be safer.

As for VPN and DNS, both are different products. As you are using common wifi connection, why not use VPN?
At least your connection is encrypted.
Not sure if it is just me. i wouldnt trust vpn to use it for banking or online purposes where i had to share my details

Thales

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
i wouldnt use a vpn for online banking, or purchases.
Maybe you can use your phone hotspot to perform banking on laptop. it should be safer.

As for VPN and DNS, both are different products. As you are using common wifi connection, why not use VPN?
At least your connection is encrypted.
Not sure if it is just me. i wouldnt trust vpn to use it for banking or online purposes where i had to share my details
Probably safer but with limited monthly data I just can't.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm gonna live with others using the same internet.
I will have no access to the router and the WIFI has the default "not so secure" password
Using a WiFi network with untrusted nodes is the same as a public hotspot. A weak or default password to access the Router settings and WiFi Network puts you at risk.

• A DNS does not protect your browsing sessions.
  • A VPN will hide your traffic to others on the network.

Paid privacy VPNs may be costly on a limited budget. Windscribe offer 10GB Free upon registration for PC and Mobile. Opera VPN via browser is Free and Unlimited, at the cost of Speed and "Opera is Chinese-owned = Automatic Spying and Malware" according to some.

• Internet Banking (browser) is prone to phishing sites, and other nasties on your PC / Network can affect your security.
  • Recommend to switch to Mobile Banking as it's much more secure on a trusted device.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.