Do I have to install Java runtime environment?

breathejustice

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Oct 18, 2014
As far as I know, java runtime environment(JRE) is only used when a webpage needs java.
But, I think most of webpages do not use JRE nowadays.
Stand-alone-software such as SPSS, SAS, and Matlab use java, but SPSS, SAS, and Matlab installers have their own java packages that are different from JRE.

So, I don't think JRE needs to be installed (e.g.,http://java.com/en/ )
Am I correct ?

rocker_geek

Level 1
Oct 23, 2014
I don't use it. The only somewhat useful website which used Java was a Youtube video grabber. It is a security risk and a pain in the ass in updating anyway.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
remove it as it gets exploited quite often on windows so it poses a security risk.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
You will use this for certain reasons like Libre Office or Open Office on some features.

If you want to make a program in Android then likely need to this application.

Or the video software called Screen O Matic needs Java to work.

But if none of the above mentioned to use Java then better not to install besides of vulnerabilities.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.