App Review Do not choice Panda ! (Panda Dome Free vs Panda Dome Complete)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to this test of Panda!
Panda is a Spanish antivirus, focusing on the 100% Cloud.
Intended for novices, Panda has unfortunately never passed one of my tests, always making a very infected system.
In this test, we compare the free and the paid version of Panda (Panda Dome Free and Panda Dome Complete) with the settings at maximum.
And unfortunately, it went very badly....

Panda Dome Free :

Panda Free presents itself as an easy-to-use and ready-to-use antivirus. It does not have web protection.
On the URL test, Panda wins the test by blocking all downloaded files. However, I don't understand that you have to run the file for Panda to react...

On the pack, there it is a disaster!
Only the anti-malware engine of Panda is very low compared to the competition, the protection provided by Panda is very bad or even non-existent ...
Panda catches too few threats and leaves the machine at the mercy of threats.
A Ransomware is triggered in the middle of a test and encrypts my files forcing me to stop the test.

Panda Free is not recommended.

Panda Dome Complete:

The interface of Panda Complete is identical to Panda Free. It has more protection like anti-ransomware, firewall, advanced system protection etc. I activated everything for the test.
Panda Complete does not have web protection (why?) and behaves like Panda Free.

On the package, it is also a disaster.
For your information, when Panda alerts me on the execution, I authorize only once and I block the other actions.
Even if Panda did not have an encrypted system because its anti-ransomware was able to block, the machine is still very infected.
A NanoCore RAT is present, followed by several infections and Kaspersky even detects a malware in a process in memory!
Not recommended

As you can see... whether it's the free or paid version, Panda Dome is by no means an antivirus that will protect you. I don't recommend you to rely on it for the protection of your computer.

@toto , @bellgamin request

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Why call an Antivirus after such a lazy animal? I would like my AntiVirus to provide active protection and you can't really call Panda's 'active' considering ..

<post edited by mods :) link to article of NewYork Times removed, explaining why Panda's are so passive>

@Shadowra maybe you should feed the Panda's only one malware sample per year?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hmmm. Has anyone tried to contact support and see how they would respond to these tests?

Thanks @Shadowra for the test.

Let them come here, I am open to discuss with them :)

@Shadowra maybe you should feed the Panda's only one malware sample per year?

Angry Kung Fu Panda GIF

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I don't know about the leaves that this panda was eating. as to whether they make the bear 'spaced out' due to the oils contained in the leaves, but I saw a Koala experience a similar rapid return 'back to earth'. This was on Magnetic Island, Eastern Australia, the animal went to maneuver up the tree, towards a few more juicy leaves and the branch taking most of its weight snapped off. The Koala ended up sat in a similar position to the panda, with a very bemused Koala expression on its face, it stayed quite still for about 5 minutes and then climbed back up the tree. Locals told us later that they'd seen similar events, the animals can get 'high' on the chemicals in the leaves, forget about their health and safety training, and reach for those juicy leaves that are just out of reach. Hopefully this panda lived to munch happily for many more days.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
and in the AV-C July - Oct 2022 real world protection test panda got 2 stars blocked 99.7% with 36 false+. :unsure: I guess that's one reason MT (@Shadowra), @cruelsister, and others do REAL real protection tests. I need to read the fine print, does AV-C (& others) have disclaimers so they don't get sued by infected viewers? Or something like "for entertainment purposes only"

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I don't know about the leaves that this panda was eating. as to whether they make the bear 'spaced out' due to the oils contained in the leaves, but I saw a Koala experience a similar rapid return 'back to earth'. This was on Magnetic Island, Eastern Australia, the animal went to maneuver up the tree, towards a few more juicy leaves and the branch taking most of its weight snapped off. The Koala ended up sat in a similar position to the panda, with a very bemused Koala expression on its face, it stayed quite still for about 5 minutes and then climbed back up the tree. Locals told us later that they'd seen similar events, the animals can get 'high' on the chemicals in the leaves, forget about their health and safety training, and reach for those juiy leaves that are just out of reach. Hopefully this panda lived to munch happily for many more days.
So are you implying that Panda was drunk when @Shadowra tested it? Now we know why it did badly in the test.

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Panda is useless. Whole MH community is well aware. Always been a mediocore av when they were independent.

Guess they were acquired by Watchdog, making the situation even more worst.

I get laugh particularly with this vendor AV-C results, it ties up there with TOP vendors results everytime.

Instead of buying out testing authorities results, false advertising their product : even if they have just invested 20% of it to R&D and genuinely worked to improve it's core modules would have shined.

There are reasons why MT Hub is built here, and testers rigrously test every product. This is it !!

"PANDA DEMISE"

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.