Advice Request Do ShutUp10 and WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard) clash?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I experienced an issue with trying to turn on location services, that had to be resolved by applying default settings in WPD.
OK, I'll play around with the settings in both and see if I get a similar outcome. I am cooking our dinner currently so I won't report back right away. I wonder if it could be as simple a thing as enabling location services in one before doing so in the other? Some software can be very fussy! O&O likes to be in charge, a view based on using things like their defragmenter and back-up programs. I have no memory as to which software I set up first though.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

As both doesn't run in background it shouldn't make any problems but I would stay with only one tool.

Anyway watch out, as these tools mostly disable important things and then the repair take long time as user forget they use such tool.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Is 1 app for limiting Microsoft tracking not enough?
Personally I use O&O ShutUp10 and didn't try any other apps.

I have both working on a PC at the moment as an experiment to see if they can exist side-by-side. It was a question a friend came up with in conversation about a week ago, neither of us were sure how it would pan out. We were curious as to which was best, if we needed more than one, if Debotnet | Mirinsoft ❤︎ was any better. This came up after we'd both read Reclaim privacy on Windows 10 with new Debotnet tool - gHacks Tech News
As both doesn't run in background it shouldn't make any problems but I would stay with only one tool.

Anyway watch out, as these tools mostly disable important things and then the repair take long time as user forget they use such tool.

Worthy advice and a warning that should be heeded. I think I'll go back to just the one tool, but am not sure which one at the moment. I'm inclined to go with just O&O Shut-Up, using their "“Enable Recommended”" settings.

Reactions: Venustus

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I experienced an issue with trying to turn on location services, that had to be resolved by applying default settings in WPD.
I normally have all location services turned off. I couldn't turn them on unless I did the same as you, allowing default setting in WPD and in Shut-Up allowing all of the Location Services settings - Cortana, app access to location and Windows Geo-location Services etc This was not a thorough scientific test by any means, just a quick attempt to re-create your issue.

I think that eventually I'll end up just using Shut-Up, unless Debotnet seems better when I've played with it some more.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.