Advice Request Do we really need AV on Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Honestly, I really don't think so. I just don't see the benefit. As long as you don't sideload sketchy cracked apps/visit sketchy websites promising you a mail order bride from Russia in exchange for one of your kidneys, I think most people don't need an AV on Android

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

No.

Android isolate Apps and also AVs doesn't have enough rights to realy protect you. They only increase the attack surface.

To stay safe, use the following:
# Don't install Apps outside of Google Store & F-Droid while F-Droid is more secure and trustworthy
# Keep all your Apps & Android itself always up2date. Use automatic Updates if possible
# Check manually all Apps permission and keep a eye on that
# Use Apps which need less as possible permissions & don't need network - if possible , instead of Apps full of permission
# (If GAPPS/ Google Services are installed) check your device regularly with PlayProtect under "my Apps" in Playstore

# don't root your system as ROOT destroy a lot of important security features like Verfied Boot
# don't use Custom ROMs with need unlocked Bootloader (GrapheenOS works with re-locked!)

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hello :)

Like in the title of thread, Do we really need AV on Android? What is your opinion about that? :)
Do you do heavy surfing? Dangerous surfing? I don't because it's not convenient, so I only use built-in Play Protect or Bitdefender Free (no web protection, scan only). If you answer yes to question #2 then you might want a full AV. I bet a lot of members here use built-in.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Honestly, I really don't think so. I just don't see the benefit. As long as you don't sideload sketchy cracked apps/visit sketchy websites promising you a mail order bride from Russia in exchange for one of your kidneys, I think most people don't need an AV on Android
I would give it my Heart as Russian bride will be mine 😂😉
Oooooooh baby

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Not really, only thing i have installed on family members is family link to allow installing of applications or deny them and set-up an firefox with ublock origin + trafficlight ,never ran into any issues

Well youtube kids sometimes has some spooky videos but not an av will help me in that case

Yes common sense is the way to go, only people that will run into issues are people rooting and not knowing what they are even doing....if youre unsure about if you need an antivirus on your mobile phone theres handfull of them to pick from

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
When renewing the license of emisi, the price difference was small, so I purchased a mobile version license.
I've been using it for about two months, but to be honest, I don't feel much need.

"Security is important! We protect you for free!"
There are a lot of security software from unknown vendors that appeal like this. Watching this trend, I feel that it is more dangerous to install such software easily.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
Do we really need AV on Android?

Recently i installed Sophos on an old Android 7 because it lacks android security updates. I felt i needed to keep some apps untouched
# Don't install Apps outside of Google Store & F-Droid
Would you consider Blokada and DNS66 on that "list"?

F-Droid is more secure and trustworthy
Why?

Android itself always up2date
The problem is with my old smartphones... some of them are already without update cover.

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I personally don't use an antivirus on my phone. I rely on Google Play Protect (built-in to Android) to filter the apps that I have installed. Stick with reputable developers and always pay attention to the developer name when installing an app to differentiate between the actual app and clones of it.

Another thing to do is make sure to turn off installation of apps from outside Google Play.

Like @security123 mentioned, it's important to pay attention to the permissions that an app requires.

I used to use Bouncer to help automate and manage temporary permissions to apps.
Besides that, common sense will keep you in the clear.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Bromite with integrated Adblocker ;)
Yandex is also decent, wich allows you to play with chrome flags + install extensions, personally im using firefox preview nightly for now ( has ublock origin as built in extension) and moving into firefox preview stable when the ublock origin support is out. You can also play with about:config in current nightly, to set up it as you like

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't have an Android phone/pad/tablet or my other half (iPhones/iPads) but do have a Sony Android TV, with few apps on - I have the free ESET scanner, but a couple of months ago obtained a Gryphon router & that keeps an eye on things with ESET - Not totally sure what my other IOT devices run on but assume some are Android based - Visitors bring an assortment of phones to my network - So I do get a little concerned about unknown devices being connected (Jail-broken etc)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.