Advice Request Do we really need AV on Android?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Google does not directly supply security updates to OEM phones

just one among many reports

Android security is absolutely terrible
researchers have established it many times

Everything said here back in 2015 true today

"We should admit Android is a desperately vulnerable system. "

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

Android only needs an Anti-Virus as much as Windows, it all depends on the user.

Neither my Windows Desktop nor my Android Smarpthone need an Anti-Virus, unfortunally not everyone knows how to behave online like myself (in order to avoid malware).

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Android only needs an Anti-Virus as much as Windows, it all depends on the user.

Neither my Windows Desktop nor my Android Smarpthone need an Anti-Virus, unfortunally not everyone knows how to behave online like myself (in order to avoid malware).
Sadly safe habits won't protect you from the rare case of hacked servers or compromised legit installers, you will need some safeguards.

P.S: you may need to update your config thread ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Reactions: KonradPL

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
Lots of bugs refer to third party apps, so Google is not responsible.

The question of the post is whether AV is needed on Android. You are moving the discussion about bugs and vulnerabilities. An AV does not protect against bugs and vulnerabilities. So going back to the topic, I think an AV is not necessary.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Lots of bugs refer to third party apps, so Google is not responsible.

lulzwut?

Yes, most of the exploits might involve 3rd party apps, but it is Android itself that is exploited. So yes, Google is responsible.

That's why it gets reported to Google so it can fix it.

I asked you not to bother me. But you keep doing it. I'm asking you one last time to stop harassing me.
Thank you

Reactions: KonradPL
F

ForgottenSeer 85911

And clickbait!

Really ?

MalwareTips is full of clickbait fed by MT members that monger clickbait ?

I will stop here as there are literally hundreds and hudreds of post here of Android vulnerabilitys.

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
I asked you not to bother me. But you keep doing it. I'm asking you one last time to stop harassing me.
Thank you

Although your Ego is constantly trying to convince you that you can decide who can talk to you and who can't, I remind you that in real life, as well as in forums, it doesn't work like that.
Even though it may seem impossible, I live very well without you and I don't feel the irrepressible need to talk to you.
We are discussing and if you are mentioned in the discussion is part of the game and life in the forums.
Get over it.

RKRN3

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 6, 2019
AVs do more harm than good in Android. An Average Joe using an old phone for YouTube or WhatsApp will never get infected even if the Android version is old. Like, I have seen many here with phones running on Android 2.3 last year. They never did any shady stuff and their phone were never infected.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

AVs do more harm than good in Android. An Average Joe using an old phone for YouTube or WhatsApp will never get infected even if the Android version is old. Like, I have seen many here with phones running on Android 2.3 last year. They never did any shady stuff and their phone were never infected.

Android AVs are worthless
most use simple application whitelists\blacklists with some fake buttons
however, literally millions upon millions of Android phones are infected yearly
the problem is a huge epidemic
the best Android malware will be undetectable such as FinSpy

but just as Tavis Ormady say "Android will bring the first billion dollar whopper"
meaning he first billion dollar stealing malware will likely be on Android

the issues with Android are systemic and structural
they cannot be fixed unless there is a haulover of the Android licensing system
putting AV on Android is utter waste of time

Outpost

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 11, 2020
Tools like FinSpy are running on Android, Apple and even Windows. They can be installed by downloading malicious email attachments, fake apps, exploits or with physical access to the device. So being cross-platform, it is not a problem specific to Google OS. Apart from exploiting exploits, the rest of the infection path, like the rest of malware, can be easily solved by introducing a security layer called brain.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The rest of the infection path, like the rest of malware, can be easily solved by introducing a security layer called brain.
Brain is only viable for security geeks who have learned to differentiate a fake apps from a legit one.
There is no way for Average Joe to distinguish one from the other, even Google team can't do it properly (hence all those articles of malicious apps), how AJ could...?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.