Advice Request Do you log off from a website say MalwareTips after each session?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you log off from a website say MalwareTips after each session?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
So the extension is obsolete ;)
Without the extension, aren't the cookies still there until after I close the browser fully?

Example scenario using Chrome browser:
Watching Netflix and decide to check Gmail on another tab. I'm done with Gmail so I log out and close the tab. Then I decide to browse for some electronics on Amazon. Done with browsing and I log out from Amazon and close the tab. I continue watching Netflix.

Questions:
Wouldn't Google and Amazon cookies still be there until I close the browser fully?
Would my Amazon session be able to obtain data from cookies from Google and Netflix? In the same line of thought, Google would have had access to Netflix cookie, and Netflix would have access to Google's and Amazon's cookies.

At least that's my train of thought.

I do know there's Strict Isolation in Chromium based browsers but haven't read up on the feature fully.

Firefox has container functionality but I don't think there is a similar concept in Chrome/Chromium.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Without the extension, aren't the cookies still there until after I close the browser fully?
Yes but that doesn't make any difference. (Device-crossing) fingerprint is the current way for tracking instead of Cookies.

Example scenario using Chrome browser:
Watching Netflix and decide to check Gmail on another tab. I'm done with Gmail so I log out and close the tab. Then I decide to browse for some electronics on Amazon. Done with browsing and I log out from Amazon and close the tab. I continue watching Netflix.

Questions:
Wouldn't Google and Amazon cookies still be there until I close the browser fully?
Would my Amazon session be able to obtain data from cookies from Google and Netflix? In the same line of thought, Google would have had access to Netflix cookie, and Netflix would have access to Google's and Amazon's cookies.

At least that's my train of thought.

I do know there's Strict Isolation in Chromium based browsers but haven't read up on the feature fully.

Firefox has container functionality but I don't think there is a similar concept in Chrome/Chromium.
For that the Chromium Isolation exists. If you block Third-Party-Cookies they can't track you this way :)
Chromium' Isolation is browser wide while Firefox' extension is only per Tab which mean one compromised Tab is enough getting whole Browser session.

Site Isolation is a security feature in Chrome that offers additional protection against some types of security bugs. It makes it harder for untrustworthy websites to access or steal information from your accounts on other websites.

Websites typically cannot access each other's data inside the browser, thanks to code that enforces the Same Origin Policy. Occasionally, security bugs are found in this code and malicious websites may try to bypass these rules to attack other websites. The Chrome team aims to fix such bugs as quickly as possible.

Site Isolation offers a second line of defense to make such attacks less likely to succeed. It ensures that pages from different websites are always put into different processes, each running in a sandbox that limits what the process is allowed to do. It also makes it possible to block the process from receiving certain types of sensitive data from other sites. As a result, a malicious website will find it much more difficult to steal data from other sites, even if it can break some of the rules in its own process.
Site Isolation - The Chromium Projects

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Yes but that doesn't make any difference. (Device-crossing) fingerprint is the current way for tracking instead of Cookies.

For that the Chromium Isolation exists. If you block Third-Party-Cookies they can't track you this way :)
Chromium' Isolation is browser wide while Firefox' extension is only per Tab which mean one compromised Tab is enough getting whole Browser session.

Site Isolation - The Chromium Projects
i find this extension very helpful
it has also automatic notification to remind you to clear your data if you kept it for long time :) :)
1608673456992.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.