Do you recommend Norton ?

Do you recommend Norton ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
I have Norton Antivirus activated for 6 months and i wanna see is norton any good ? I'd like to try it but i dont know is it good.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Thread author
Well Norton is a good AV, used to use too much system resources but i've installed it on my system about 3 months ago to test it and it was really light with only 2 processes and used about 10-15 MBs of RAM when the Chrome was opened (now i use Firefox). It's protection is good but if you can switch to Bitdefender or Kaspersky or Emsisoft than do it. Currently i use BD Internet Security and i really like it. You can use Bitdefender AV free edition with Comodo Firewall, a very solid combo IMO.

Reactions: MalwareT

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Use it...nice and light AV...and add Malwarebytes (just in case) for occasional scans.

Reactions: MalwareT

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Which Norton version are you talking about?
Norton it's a good product, actually all AV is a good products to me :D (except the fake one)
But seriously on older version of Norton, it's buggy and bloatware, the UI freeze a lot, but the 360 version is good and I don't feel any slow down or freeze like the older version did (I forgot which version, I'm sorry)

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Thread author
Use it...nice and light AV...and add Malwarebytes (just in case) for occasional scans.

Why did you said this?:eek: The behaviour blocker of Norton(called SONAR for Symantec ONLINE network for advanced response) uses the cloud in order to protect from new threats for which there are no defs). If you want something to use on a PC without internet then Bitdefender or Emsisoft is the right choice with Active Virus Control and Mamutu, technologies which work without the cloud. They do have also a cloud features but they are really the better choice for offline PCs.

EDIT: Oops, the wrong quote here, sorry Nedim:p

M

MalwareT

Thread author
Which Norton version are you talking about?
Norton it's a good product, actually all AV is a good products to me :D (except the fake one)
But seriously on older version of Norton, it's buggy and bloatware, the UI freeze a lot, but the 360 version is good and I don't feel any slow down or freeze like the older version did (I forgot which version, I'm sorry)

Norton Antivirus 2014.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Correct me if I wrong, but norton Av 2014 is using the same engine like norton 360 2014 (the difference only on features) so the "buggy and freeze issues" should already fixed.

Yes. @Nedim I didn't wanted to read all :D, but i read some of them. Best solution is VBox. Anyway, i'll install Norton on my laptop and if i dont get satisfied then i'll switch to BullGuard.:)

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i dont recommand it
Really... why not?

Norton in recent years, since they've been listening to user feedback it has improved. It's far more effective on CPU and optimised it's memory usage. With advanced options for the more experienced users, yet simple enough for the average user with it's install and forget.

It's behavioural guard (SONAR) improves on every new release. File Reputation is useful and is used when you download a file or program from the Internet. Smart Definitions to stay current without hogging your Internet bandwidth. Other features etc.

Reactions: vrb93 and Oxygen

randj89

Level 4
Verified
May 7, 2014
It's great! Its very light on system resources... I had Kaspersky before and its heavy was making my daily computing a snail... With norton everything is running perfect.

Reactions: vrb93 and Oxygen

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
yes i do
however sometimes norton freeze , that is only problem i got .
install & forget

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Norton Antivirus is an excellent product but I don't recommend it because it is quite expensive and the community watch is very aggressive detecting safe files (false positives). I don't know if they ever fixed the problem where you can bypass the community watch detections, the last time that I used it was on one of my customers systems. It continued to keep quarantining the same safe user files and it had no settings to stop the actions. All you can do is disable all active protection to keep the files from getting quarantined. If you moved the files back to the system from quarantine then Norton would move them back once you tried to access them. As the result this customer changed to another AV that could exclude these detections.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: XhenEd and Manzai
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.