Do you recommend Norton ?

Do you recommend Norton ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
Yes, and no. Last time I used Norton, the detection was very good and it did protect me from threats, however it wasn't very responsive (the UI) when completing tasks and normal use when browsing the available features. Since the 2010 version, now the 2015 version looks very impressive and promising. I suggest you give it a try and rate it on the following factors:

- Protection (how well does it perform on your custom tests with malware packs?)
- Malware cleaning (how well does it clean and remove malware, and how fast?)
- Speed and reliability (does it stop responding or is it nice and active? How fast is it at detecting known signatures and working with the heurstics?)
- User Interface (how nice is the UI, how easy is it to use?)
- RAM and CPU usage (how light is it and how much resources does it use?)

If you would like, when I have time I can install Norton 2015 on a VM and test it with various malware packs (new ones).

Thanks! :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
i am using Symantec Endpoint and honestly it is damn quite efficient and light. I guess NIS is on the same vein

In my machine it runs better than any other antivirus software that I tried (even faster than Webroot and Nod32).

Reactions: ifacedown

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
If you have internet access most of the time then yes it is a very good product.
But if you travel, or you are not connected to the internet often then stay away ....
The new version is making most of the job on the cloud, so the protection will drop drastically if you are not connected.
I have tried the Norton Antivirus and indeed it was extremely light (even the system start up), but it was very expensive so i moved on to another vendor

Rohugh

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2014
I ran the Norton Beta for a while and quite liked it so gave the NIS 2014 a 30 day trial. Yes it was light and seemed to perform well so I clicked the "Buy" option, was given 1 year for €9.99 which of course I couldn't refuse, and it added the remainder of the 30 day trial on - not expensive at all. :)

alexp79

Level 2
Verified
Jul 16, 2013
Norton is an excellent product for me also, i always like it since 2 years; a good balance between protection, usuability and performances; Sonar is strong, firewall is good and easy to use, settings are rich and simple in same time (and help documents are good), never had any false positive with norton and i always felt it quite light on my system:)

Countryboy_MN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 30, 2013
When I had my Windows 7 laptop it came with Norton installed. I never had any problems with it. Fact is I don't recall any false positives with it or slow downs for that matter. I liked the GUI too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.