Question Do you remember these programs? Are they still alive?

Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

tasos83

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
Do you remember any old security programs that have been discontinued or are still in use today?
I remember the following:
  • Spyware Terminator (antispyware)
  • Mamutu (behaviour engine)
  • Ad Aware (antispyware)
  • ThreatFire (behaviour engine)
  • PC Tools Spyware Doctor (antispyware)
  • Ashampoo Firewall (so...stupid)
  • Online Armor ( the best firewall... was purchased by emsisoft but discontinued)
  • Spybot search and destroy (antispyware)
 
I do remember all of them. But the Emsisoft's Online Armor was the only one I truly valued.

I absolutely hated when various software developers labeled their product as "anti-spyware" even though it was just typical antivirus software. The term only confused average users thinking they only block one kind of malicious software and not the others.
 
I do remember all of them. But the Emsisoft's Online Armor was the only one I truly valued.
This firewall was incredible. In addition to HIPS, it had anti-keylogger and banking protection. I used it for a long time, even after it was discontinued. For me, Emsisoft Online Armor and Outpost Firewall were the best firewall products I have ever seen, and I confess that I miss these two products. From what I understand, Outpost belonged to a Russian company called Agnitum, which was later sold to Yandex, and Online Armor was discontinued by Emsisoft. ;)
 
I remember them all. Adaware was bought by a shady company many years and went on to became an antivirus, which was recently discontinued. Spybot is still around, but has not been worth using for years and is literally never discussed on security forums. There's also a paid version, which includes an antivirus using Avira's SDK. But I'm sure it would not be worth using.
Spyware Terminator has been discontinued. I used it when it was first released.
 
This really dates me and my experience with software.

I recall Sygate Personal Firewall, which was highly regarded for its power and configurability before Symantec bought it to strengthen the Norton suite.

The journey of Kerio Personal Firewall was equally complex, as it was passed from Sunbelt to GFI, where it was reborn as part of the Kerio Control business suite. This move effectively killed Sunbelt's own firewall in favor of a new product, VIPRE.

This trend also claimed other big names like Outpost Firewall Pro, which was acquired by Yandex and eventually disappeared.
 
Only Mamutu is still around and popular (even if not called that anymore).
I’m guessing PC Tools ThreatFire to an extent has been integrated within Symantec SONAR.

The rest all disappeared for a reason. It just wasn’t all that good.
AdAware (ex Lavasoft) now does adblocking, privacy software and driver manager/updater.

Ashampoo had an interesting security software journey, they were selling their own anti-malware based on Avira, at one point they were selling Emsisoft rebrand.
I don’t think they do any anti-malware at the moment.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top