Question Do you remember these programs? Are they still alive?

Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.
It's while reading this thread that I realize I'm old: I used A-Squared (by Mr. Haas), which became Mamutu, then incorporated into Emsisoft. I used WinPatrol for years, Online Armor (great); ThreatFire, Spybot, PC Tools Spyware Doctor, spyware terminator as well, and others I can't remember. Long gone are the days when I was assembling my ZX81 followed by Alice32 (Tandy MC-10) ... and when I discovered my Amstrad 1512 with Gem... Nostalgia, when you hold us!
 
No mention of Outpost Firewall? It was very similar to OA? I guess I'm old.

I was a moderator for the outpost firewall users forum for a few years. Great firewall with built-in application behavior monitoring. The Russian development team even sent me and the other moderators some nice gifts around 2010, I think it was. Check it out. Nesting, wooden Russian dolls. There was a fanny pack included :D We were also given a lifetime license for the firewall. Too bad they folded :( They were obviously a talented team.

BTW @n8chavez, I'm also old, or at least getting there :D
 

Attachments

  • dolls.png
    dolls.png
    351 KB · Views: 170
I was a moderator for the outpost firewall users forum for a few years. Great firewall with built-in application behavior monitoring. The Russian development team even sent me and the other moderators some nice gifts around 2010, I think it was. Check it out. Nesting, wooden Russian dolls. There was a fanny pack included :D We were also given a lifetime license for the firewall. Too bad they folded :( They were obviously a talented team.

BTW @n8chavez, I'm also old, or at least getting there :D
I was Moderator at Lavasoft's AdAware Forums and also did my lions share of guiding members with the removal of tough malware, toolbars and viruses (file infectors were the worst) (often 24 hour stretches responding to complaints). Suggesting and helping them use HiJackThis and other tools. We had some great staff, Winchester73, SpyDie, and Corrine just to mention a few of the many there.

Coolwebsearch had the corner on attaching to users computers.

A blast from the past for sure!
 
I was a moderator for the outpost firewall users forum for a few years. Great firewall with built-in application behavior monitoring. The Russian development team even sent me and the other moderators some nice gifts around 2010, I think it was. Check it out. Nesting, wooden Russian dolls. There was a fanny pack included :D We were also given a lifetime license for the firewall. Too bad they folded :( They were obviously a talented team.

BTW @n8chavez, I'm also old, or at least getting there :D
Latest version of Agnitum Outpost still work on Windows 11 hehe

~Tachikoma
 
I liked outpost, was that Cypriot?? Though in the beginning of Windows there was no firewall or router even, the output from a even FTTC (here ADSL) went into USB from the thing that looked like a stingray Alcatel first Broadband I had, but before that dial up can't even remember how I connected that up maybe into a network card? Zone Alarm free was the first relevant firewall that then got worse & worse..


Alcatel USB Broadband.jpg
 
Last edited:
Outpost Firewall Pro is a discontinued personal firewall developed by Agnitum (founded in 1999 in St. Petersburg, Russia)...On December 9, 2015, Yandex acquired Agnitum in order to use their technology in the Yandex Browser. Valid license holders were given until January 31, 2016 to exchange their license keys for a 1 year license of Kaspersky Internet Security.<a href="Outpost Firewall Pro - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>9<span>]</span></a>
maybe someone knowledgeable should update wikipedia, unless no misinfo here... :unsure: I used it once upon a time, until I didn't.

 
I was a moderator for the outpost firewall users forum for a few years. Great firewall with built-in application behavior monitoring. The Russian development team even sent me and the other moderators some nice gifts around 2010, I think it was. Check it out. Nesting, wooden Russian dolls. There was a fanny pack included :D We were also given a lifetime license for the firewall. Too bad they folded :( They were obviously a talented team.

BTW @n8chavez, I'm also old, or at least getting there :D
Matroska dolls 🙂

Unfortunately a lot of talented dev teams disappeared.

I was Moderator at Lavasoft's AdAware Forums and also did my lions share of guiding members with the removal of tough malware, toolbars and viruses (file infectors were the worst) (often 24 hour stretches responding to complaints). Suggesting and helping them use HiJackThis and other tools. We had some great staff, Winchester73, SpyDie, and Corrine just to mention a few of the many there.

Coolwebsearch had the corner on attaching to users computers.

A blast from the past for sure!
Aaah I remember MyWebSearch or something? It was a very annoying toolbar and very widespread.
 
Pctools acquired by Symantec, Hijackthis acquired by TM, Lavasoft Adaware, Norman AV, Dr Solomon AV,Fprot.Many others I'm trying to recall

I remember PC Tools. It was a meh product, but after Symantec acquisition it became really good and better than Norton for a while (as a dual engine product) before Norton decided to kill off the entire product line.

Earlier versions of PC Tools AV used Kaspersky engine but later they made it use their own engine + Norton's (Symantec). This was the only product I know of that used the cloud for whitelisting and not just blacklisting. Many false positives would simply not occur if internet access was available.

Norman Antivirus was also a meh product that was just about good enough to pass tests but had a good sandbox and heuristic engine. It later turned into a BitDefender clone, which turned out to be a bad idea as no one liked the product after this decision. Ergo they ended up being sold to AVG Technologies, which later merged with Avast to become Gen Digital and finally put an end to Norton/Symantec's acquisition spree.
 
I remember their antivirus, but can't remember their anti-malware software, although most likely I used it at some point.
I used the AntiVirus. It was an interesting product with Avira SDK, a very nice interface especially compared to Avira at the time. But, the product did not keep up with time. Eventually, discontinued. Ashampoo tried a second coming with a rebrand of Emsisoft Anti-Malware but ended up discontinuing that too.
 
Sorry for bringing this thread back to life, but i remember all of those, a few were favorites of mine at the time
like Threatfire (I still wish there was a good free independent configurable Behavior blocker) I actually still have a installer for it
Eset now detects it as unwanted app 😁
 
Around the time Win 95 came out RAM was very expensive especially considering wages back then there were several programs such as 'SoftRam' that claimed to give you RAM, this was found out to be complete rubbish but many fell for it myself included, there were others similar, I don't think any worked though, I remember buying 16 Meg RAM in the end for over £200 UK Pounds in 1995/1996 o_Oo_Oo_O
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top