Do you still buy annual renewable security/lifetime software, or rely on freeware?

Security software licensing?

• Total voters

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
for security softwares, I just use freewares or giveaways :D
I don't want to spend any extra money for my laptop because there are always good free alternatives of paid softwares :)
rarely I can't find the alternatives

moreover, we rarely use all functions of the paid softwares so it's a waste I think

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I don't want to spend any extra money for my laptop because there are always good free alternatives of paid softwares :)

moreover, we rarely use all functions of the paid softwares so it's a waste I think
Agree, BTW guys, you can have a good security config without spending a cent and without giveaway.
For example, Avast free hardened mode agressive+EEKit+ZAM free+Sandboxie+of course brain.exe and a little bit of knowledge.:D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Agree, BTW guys, you can have a good security config without spending a cent and without giveaway.
For example, Avast free hardened mode agressive+EEKit+ZAM free+Sandboxie+of course brain.exe and a little bit of knowledge.:D
I agree :D for us it's much easier to use freewares but for novice/default-allow users, it's not easy to find the best for them
my parents don't know much about computer and they can't decide what do to with security prompts. I must install 100% automatic products with low FP rate for them. I use avast: max heuristics, HIPS = 2, HM = off + unchecky + BD trafficlight/avira browser safety. they have been happy for years without infections :D
we live in asia and for sure HM will block all of the softwares we use to manage our business. It's a pain to use HM for asian users like me :(

K

KGBagent47

I think you're correct, but some of us have to arrange Windows PC security for parents who don't even know how to connect an iPhone to the router, or a small business employee who employers hire an IT guy to reset the router password, (without ever asking me to do that, for FREE.)

At this point a paid AV like Bitdefender IS 2017 who makes all the decisions for those people becomes very attractive.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I try a lot of software. I must have too much free time on my hands ;P

Anyway, currently I'm liking Kaspersky Total Security. Couple things I like and use:

-GUI/settings is the best I've found
-Application Control - good stuff
-TAM
-Ad blocker - I'm finding it actually works pretty good (usually use Adguard installer or Ublock Origin)
-Software updater - finds all kinds of apps to update, not just main exploited ones (tip: have to change a setting for it to find more)
- Exploit protection, software cleaner, encryption containers (work simple and well).
...I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there.

2nd favorite subscription based AV would be Norton.

Favorite FREE AV would be Avast w/ Hardened Mode Aggressive.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I try a lot of software. I must have too much free time on my hands ;P

Anyway, currently I'm liking Kaspersky Total Security. Couple things I like and use:
I could go on and on, but I'll leave it there.
2nd favorite subscription based AV would be Norton.
3rd favorite FREE AV would be Avast w/ Hardened Mode Aggressive.

Great!
But why leave Bitdefender in the dark?

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
Great!
But why leave Bitdefender in the dark?

I like Bitdefender. They need to work on their GUI. It's painful to navigate through.

They also need to implement more settings for more control. Nothing wrong with basic, but it's a little too simple.

Bitdefender free is very nice. I've used it recently on client PCs for a simple AV solution. Bitdefender also has an excellent online portal to manage devices too.

Customer support needs a bump again. I recently bought a 10 user license and it took 10 emails and 28 days to receive a refund.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I like Bitdefender. They need to work on their GUI. It's painful to navigate through.

They also need to implement more settings for more control. Nothing wrong with basic, but it's a little too simple.

I could not less agree. I gave up my 3 month Multi-device license. Big issues!
  1. The lack of decision power & interaction with the user
  2. Lack of good configurations, it considers itself the demi-god
  3. High false-positives. Especially after the added Anti-Ransomware module + AI
  4. Heaviness on average systems
  5. WIFi blocking (stealth mode) and FW bugs
Otherwise, I would say that its protection makes it the King of all 'AV's ..

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I will seek out Lifetime purchases, if none are available I will
use the next best that offers lifetime licensing.
I am not a monthly subscriber of anything, and it
irks me having to even purchase yearly, but I will
if I have to.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Don't do lifetime except if the price is stupid(max 10$) and it's one of the apps i don't get mad with weekly. Rest it's either freeware, beta(basically free) or yearly if the price is right.
I will not do overpaid software even to save my life.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I could not less agree. I gave up my 3 month Multi-device license. Big issues!
  1. The lack of decision power & interaction with the user
  2. Lack of good configurations, it considers itself the demi-god
  3. High false-positives. Especially after the added Anti-Ransomware module + AI
  4. Heaviness on average systems
  5. WIFi blocking (stealth mode) and FW bugs
Otherwise, I would say that its protection makes it the King of all 'AV's ..
They have a great AV engine but I found it heavy and buggy on my system!
Shame really!!:(

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Security softwares;
FREEWARE/GIVEAWAYS as much as possible...:)
LIFETIME license if its a good investment...;)
BETA when available...:D

Annually/Yearly why would Io_O?! There a better alternative out there...

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
They have a great AV engine but I found it heavy and buggy on my system!
Shame really!!:(
If it had
  1. user decisions on detection
  2. lesser load
then many people will go with it in the first place. That would have compensated the false positives and lack of configurations too.
And I would purchase its Lifetime License for sure :-D

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Freeware & Giveaways are my first choice. Beta for the softwares, whose free alternatives are not good enough & i like the software enough to wreck my brain with the beta bugs.
I bought one lifetime license in my lifetime that is IDM. No free alternative even comes close to this program.

Yearly, Uh, only one software comes to mind, Kaspersky Total Security. That's it.

Regards.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Buying annual subscription more of supporting their development of the product. If everyone opt for freeware, then who's gonna to compensate the developer. Put that in your shoes. If you develop a software with blood and sweat and everyone complain they want for free, how would you feel? Unless, the fee is so exorbitantly high that it cost hundreds/yr; then that would be different case.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I agree. But the developer also has to understand that the software market is very competitive. Almost every paid software have freeware alternatives & some are even better than the paid ones.

Nobody (at least, not me) is asking developer for free versions, If developer is already giving his/her software for free.
In cases of support, there's always donations (if you can, of course).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.