• No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I do not use a VPN service

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Total voters

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Choosing and using a particular VPN service involves more "trust" ( or blind faith ? ) than just about any other online activity
I can think of .
By their very nature , all VPN providers are secretive businesses .

OK , there is plenty of good quality work being done on leak testing , and that helps us to make an informed choice ,
but the very thing I want to know is not visible or "measurable " .

VPN providers give details of what logs are kept (if any) the format and purpose of those logs , and usually the jurisdiction
and server locations involved.
But nearly all of that is on their word alone , and unknowable to the rest of us , and untestable.

ANY online business is going to need reliable bulk data logs on server loads , traffic analysis etc , just to keep functioning
but then we get the stuff that is written for the advertising blurb , the "fuzzy talk" about privacy and logging policy .

We only discover the real stinkers after their dirty deeds are done , eg Hola VPN , who were talking quite a good game ,
until the facts emerged , and got the better of them :)

The good quality VPN services are acutely aware of this "trust gap" , and many use the Warrant Canary system .
It doesn't seem to get much mention when discussions come up about choosing ( and "trusting" ) a VPN service ,
but it's a whole subject on it's own .... and interesting.
[Maybe a good topic for a new thread ? ]

This is a good article for a quick informative read (it relates to Reddit rather than VPN , but the idea is the same )
What is a warrant canary? - BBC News

So , to answer the thread question -
No , I probably do not trust my VPN services

I usually choose from what I call the "Solid Six" , mentioned on this testing site .
I reckon I trust them to not intentionally screw me over , but more than that ....

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Why u use a vpn where u need tricks and only ipv4 to have no leaks? i would not use anything that have some leaks or doesnt support or block ipv6 connections automaticaly.
It was an ironical manner to say I discovered the leak and IPV6 problems only several days after have begun to test this tool ;)

It was DN leaks and IPV6 leaks.

- DNS leaks => because of DHCP => easy to correct
- IPV6 => just had to put my connection as IPV4 only (IPV6 really not very useful currently, for me)

=> 20 euros : unlimited,VPN fast and secure, now, 18 countries​

Have you tested your VPN on above links ?
You could be surprised :)

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 67
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
It was an ironical manner to say I discovered the leak and IPV6 problems only several days after have begun to test this tool ;)

It was DN leaks and IPV6 leaks.

- DNS leaks => because of DHCP => easy to correct
- IPV6 => just had to put my connection as IPV4 only (IPV6 really not very useful currently, for me)

=> 20 euros : unlimited,VPN fast and secure, now, 18 countries​

Have you tested your VPN on above links ?
You could be surprised :)
CG passed it :)

omidomi

Level 67
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
I am on the same boat, I trust my VPN more than my ISP achieving complete anonymity online is extremely difficult if not impossible. VPN will get you 90% there, however the last 10% entirely depends on the user.
yup , for choosing the best privacy I use VPN service that they have server in those country who have great Data Center law and internet freedom, same as IceLand,Netherland,Germany,Romania and so so Canada :)
and important thing is where is the base of VPN HQ :D (personaly I do't trust USA base VPN company :rolleyes: )

omidomi

Level 67
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
This tool is very powerful, curious to see if some people here have already tested it.
Yes , But freegate is too slow in my country :(, and so you have no choice for choose your server...(many of FG server in USA :confused: )
CG and Kaspersky get you a wide Range of handful server :p and also they are Respected Company...;)
I 100% trust Kaspersky and CG :cool:
another VPN emm 90% , If their HQ base not in USA :D

Reactions: Svoll and DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
Yes , But freegate is too slow in my country :(, and so you have no choice for choose your server...(many of FG server in USA :confused: )
CG and Kaspersky get you a wide Range of handful server :p and also they are Respected Company...;)
I 100% trust Kaspersky and CG :cool:
another VPN emm 90% , If their HQ base not in USA :D
The problem I have with Kaspersky : it only creates a 100 MB/s virtual network ... My ISP connection is near 300 MB/s.... so it limits mine :D

Reactions: Svoll and omidomi

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Trusted
Malware Hunter
:eek: 300/MB:eek:
what the speed with another software? Windscribe,CG ?
Kaspersky VPN creates a virtual Network at 100 MB/s max (my real Network card is 1000 MB/s) but the connection speed stays at 80 MB/s download - / 90 MB/s upload :( (293 MB/s download - 118 MB/s upload when testing now without the VPN)
Have not tested with other tools, for the moment.

Last edited: