Advice Request Do you trust your VPN service 100% ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you trust your VPN service 100% ?

• Yes

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I do not use a VPN service

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Choosing and using a particular VPN service involves more "trust" ( or blind faith ? ) than just about any other online activity
I can think of .
By their very nature , all VPN providers are secretive businesses .

OK , there is plenty of good quality work being done on leak testing , and that helps us to make an informed choice ,
but the very thing I want to know is not visible or "measurable " .

VPN providers give details of what logs are kept (if any) the format and purpose of those logs , and usually the jurisdiction
and server locations involved.
But nearly all of that is on their word alone , and unknowable to the rest of us , and untestable.

ANY online business is going to need reliable bulk data logs on server loads , traffic analysis etc , just to keep functioning
but then we get the stuff that is written for the advertising blurb , the "fuzzy talk" about privacy and logging policy .

We only discover the real stinkers after their dirty deeds are done , eg Hola VPN , who were talking quite a good game ,
until the facts emerged , and got the better of them :)

The good quality VPN services are acutely aware of this "trust gap" , and many use the Warrant Canary system .
It doesn't seem to get much mention when discussions come up about choosing ( and "trusting" ) a VPN service ,
but it's a whole subject on it's own .... and interesting.
[Maybe a good topic for a new thread ? ]

This is a good article for a quick informative read (it relates to Reddit rather than VPN , but the idea is the same )
What is a warrant canary? - BBC News

So , to answer the thread question -
No , I probably do not trust my VPN services

I usually choose from what I call the "Solid Six" , mentioned on this testing site .
I reckon I trust them to not intentionally screw me over , but more than that ....

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Why u use a vpn where u need tricks and only ipv4 to have no leaks? i would not use anything that have some leaks or doesnt support or block ipv6 connections automaticaly.
It was an ironical manner to say I discovered the leak and IPV6 problems only several days after have begun to test this tool ;)

It was DN leaks and IPV6 leaks.

- DNS leaks => because of DHCP => easy to correct
- IPV6 => just had to put my connection as IPV4 only (IPV6 really not very useful currently, for me)

=> 20 euros : unlimited,VPN fast and secure, now, 18 countries​

Have you tested your VPN on above links ?
You could be surprised :)

Last edited:

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
It was an ironical manner to say I discovered the leak and IPV6 problems only several days after have begun to test this tool ;)

It was DN leaks and IPV6 leaks.

- DNS leaks => because of DHCP => easy to correct
- IPV6 => just had to put my connection as IPV4 only (IPV6 really not very useful currently, for me)

=> 20 euros : unlimited,VPN fast and secure, now, 18 countries​

Have you tested your VPN on above links ?
You could be surprised :)
CG passed it :)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
I am on the same boat, I trust my VPN more than my ISP achieving complete anonymity online is extremely difficult if not impossible. VPN will get you 90% there, however the last 10% entirely depends on the user.
yup , for choosing the best privacy I use VPN service that they have server in those country who have great Data Center law and internet freedom, same as IceLand,Netherland,Germany,Romania and so so Canada :)
and important thing is where is the base of VPN HQ :D (personaly I do't trust USA base VPN company :rolleyes: )

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Some people have tested : Freegate ?
yes I tested it.
I trusted my VPN (Kasperky tool) 100 %, after a trick to block VPN leaks and using IPV4 only.
If Kaspersky add Bitcoin payment for charging and buy VPN service I really Trust Kaspersky more than the other company,hope to add it...

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
yes I tested it.
If Kaspersky add Bitcoin payment for charging and buy VPN service I really Trust Kaspersky more than the other company,hope to add it...
That is why I keep using it and paid for one year.
I don't remember how I paid, maybe using my Paypal account.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
This tool is very powerful, curious to see if some people here have already tested it.
Yes , But freegate is too slow in my country :(, and so you have no choice for choose your server...(many of FG server in USA :confused: )
CG and Kaspersky get you a wide Range of handful server :p and also they are Respected Company...;)
I 100% trust Kaspersky and CG :cool:
another VPN emm 90% , If their HQ base not in USA :D

Reactions: Svoll and DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Yes , But freegate is too slow in my country :(, and so you have no choice for choose your server...(many of FG server in USA :confused: )
CG and Kaspersky get you a wide Range of handful server :p and also they are Respected Company...;)
I 100% trust Kaspersky and CG :cool:
another VPN emm 90% , If their HQ base not in USA :D
The problem I have with Kaspersky : it only creates a 100 MB/s virtual network ... My ISP connection is near 300 MB/s.... so it limits mine :D

Reactions: Svoll and omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The problem I have with Kaspersky : it only creates a 100 MB/s virtual network ... My ISP connection is near 300 MB/s.... so it limits mine :D
:eek: 300/MB:eek:
what the speed with another software? Windscribe,CG ?

Reactions: Svoll and DardiM

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
:eek: 300/MB:eek:
what the speed with another software? Windscribe,CG ?
Kaspersky VPN creates a virtual Network at 100 MB/s max (my real Network card is 1000 MB/s) but the connection speed stays at 80 MB/s download - / 90 MB/s upload :( (293 MB/s download - 118 MB/s upload when testing now without the VPN)
Have not tested with other tools, for the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.