Do you use security reg tweaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Wow, they teach computer science now at GCSE (didn't in my day, but then I did finish mine in 2000)

@Andy Ful I think that in schools instead of the students being educated on how to use Microsoft Office products (which they most likely can already use very well) and the similar, they should crack down on educating people more about cyber-security and how they can keep themselves safe when using a computer altogether - at least educate them on some basic good security practises, such as making sure to use an ad-blocker to reduce the chances of them being a victim of malvertising, validating digital signatures, scanning new downloads on services like VirusTotal (you'd be surprised - many people won't even know of these services or now how to use them/understand the results), working with sandboxing/virtualisation and reverting with snapshots, etc.

As an addition to this, I think that workplace companies should start enforcing their employees (who have access to the systems) to take a custom cyber security/computing education course within the company itself which will be more advanced and focused on making the employees general knowledge on cyber-security much tougher, but also focusing on other topics such as social engineering.

I remember when I was still at school last year finishing my GCSEs and in computer science we were forced to study a bunch of rubbish; instead of wasting time and testing us on things which don't matter that much, they could have started educating people on important topics such as cyber-security. Since if you get a job at a company and do not know what you are doing, all it takes is the attacker to send one e-mail and if the user opens this e-mail he/she then becomes vulnerable to the social engineering and can potentially end up compromising the systems by handling one of the e-mail attachments (just added this part as a base example). Whereas, if they were trained properly and were stronger in cyber-security, they may have either not opened the e-mail at all (or deleted it), or opened it and then reported it for spam/untrusted purposes and left the attachments alone, not resulting in the systems becoming compromised.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

W

Wave

Wow, they teach computer science now at GCSE (didn't in my day, but then I did finish mine in 2000)
They teach "computer science" but it's not the stuff you'd want to be learning. They taught a bit about hardware (very basic things) and some VB.NET; I actually kind of failed because I refused to spend my time doing it as I had studied this years beforehand and at the time I was already developing device drivers and doing these sorts of things.

For someone who wants to go into computing as a software engineer or the such, they will want to study computer science at University as opposed to school/college; chances are you'd be studying languages like C, C++ and x86/x64 Assembly. With school/college for computer science I think you'd just be wasting your time as you can achieve better results from home at ease.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
"Prevent programs from loading untrusted fonts (only Windows 10):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\MitigationOptions]
"MitigationOptions_FontBocking"="1000000000000"

Is this number right?

W

Wave

"Prevent programs from loading untrusted fonts (only Windows 10):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\MitigationOptions]
"MitigationOptions_FontBocking"="1000000000000"

Is this number right?
Yes, however make sure to have a backup of the registry at all times no matter how small the change you are making say on case; it's always good practise to be able to revert back at ease and safely.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I also noticed problems with loading igfx tray module (Intel HD Graphics)... when command prompt is disabled
that's an interesting fact. I have noticed that after installing certain security softs, namely Kaspersky Internet Security or COMODO, that there is a problem with the igfx loading right.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you can disable CMD and powershell and wscript, etc, in Kaspersky Application Control, or make a block rule in Emsisoft or in COMODO.
You can also do this in Process Lasso (although I had an issue with it forgetting my rules)
If you block these processes through your security softs, it is a lot easier to renable them when you need them...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
you can disable CMD and powershell and wscript, etc, in Kaspersky Application Control, or make a block rule in Emsisoft or in COMODO.
You can also do this in Process Lasso (although I had an issue with it forgetting my rules)
If you block these processes through your security softs, it is a lot easier to renable them when you need them...
You can also disable CMD via Process Lasso ;)
Like I said, I have a ton of RegTweaks but most of them are being made obsolete because
you can do so much more with software these days, if you know which software to use ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.