Does disabling UAC in Windows 10 affect other features,functions and protection.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
My previous OS was Win 7 64. And with Comodo Internet Security installed I use to keep UAC disabled i.e Never notify.

Now on Win 10 64 too I am planning to install CIS & keep UAC disabled i.e Never notify.
So I want to know if disabling Win 10 UAC disables any other Windows protections/features/functions, etc... too or not?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
How to change the title of the thread?
I go to thread tools - edit thread fields - but cannot edit the title?

Reactions: Logethica

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
May have to wait for a more experienced member to reply to that one my friend. PeAcE

EDIT: Click on "edit" then look up top for "Thread Tools" dropdown list, select "edit title"
If thats not working you may have to message an admin

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Disabling UAC in Windows 8 or higher has a different affect, so yes, you will lose some functionality / features on Windows 10.

For example:
No access to Windows Store apps on Windows 8.

Whether or not these restrictions apply to Windows 10, is for you to discover. Try Google, or toggle the settings on your system.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
How to change the title of the thread?
I go to thread tools - edit thread fields - but cannot edit the title?
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.06_19h03m33s_001_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.06_19h04m23s_002_.png

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Turning off the UAC should make all application to access very high without your permission/ you've click to execute it, based on my experience; no other connected features should include for deactivation; just don't turn off SmartScreen Filter.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
SmartScreen Filter
In my last test, SmartScreen screened nothing of the few hundred malware samples, so I'm not inclined to put a whole lot of faith in it.
Besides, isn't it only applicable to IE? (which I haven't used since...like IE4...whenever it was that or NetSc[r]ape).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Rolo

Windows Smartscreen was introduced onto Windows 8 OS. While IE Smartscreen was introduced on IE 8.

It's therefore present on both Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11 and Edge.

Check Wikipedia.

Reactions: Martin_C

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rolo: There are some case that if you use IE/Edge Smartscreen Filter, the detection from one part may acted repeatedly from built in Windows SSF.

e.g: IE SSF detects it as unknown from a downloaded file with a message use at your own risk. When execute, same pop up should cover.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Clicking Thread Tools gives me only 2 options Poll & Edit Thread Fields.
Clicking on Thread Fields gives me only Title & Save & Cancel. I cannot change the title i.e cannot erase it, cannot edit it...clicking on Title..nothing happens.
I will look into it but in the meantime what do you want to edit and I will do it for you.

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
UAC on Windows 10 has seen a lot of improvement.
Especially if you are coming from the ancient Windows 7.

Major parts of the UAC bypasses are now blocked.
Remaining can be dealt with through the use of limited accounts.

Also the sandbox in appcontainer are hardened. All Universal Windows Apps including Edge run in these sandboxes.
You will lose these benefits if you disable UAC completely.

The entire OS are built from the ground up to protect system from user.
No small third-party program will suddenly reinvent the wheel here and accomplish the same.

In general I don't think it's wise to disable native security features, since sooner or later you will find that disabling one severely handicaps or breaks another.
Usually where you least expect it.

Reactions: Nightwalker and Ink

Martin_C

Level 1
Verified
Mar 10, 2015
In my last test, SmartScreen screened nothing of the few hundred malware samples, so I'm not inclined to put a whole lot of faith in it.
Besides, isn't it only applicable to IE? (which I haven't used since...like IE4...whenever it was that or NetSc[r]ape).

You will need to update your experience on that.
As Huracan writes further up in this thread, then Windows SmartScreen has been systemwide since Windows 8.0

It targets phishing sites, malicious downloads and since spring this year it also targets PUPs and advertising that does not follow Microsoft's very clear guidelines.

As said systemwide.
Browser, desktop, apps - they all screen using SmartScreen.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I will look into it but in the meantime what do you want to edit and I will do it for you.
I think the title is not apt to the query.
The title would be better if it reads like "Does disabling Win 10 UAC disables any other Windows protections/features/functions, etc...?"

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Martin_C,

If Smart Screen is disabled in Control Panel...Internet Explorer smart screen gets disabled too or only desktop smart screen?

I dont have any experience of desktop smart screen...is it like UAC i.e apps trying to run...or appears only on malware detection?

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Not that I have noticed (Windows 10 Pro x64 10240)
Have you thought about looking into VooDoo shield as a UAC replacement ?
https://voodooshield.com/What are the System Requirements for VoodooShield?
For PC's, VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP* SP2 through Windows 8 (32 & 64 bit).
What are the System Requirements for VoodooShield?
For PC's, VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP* SP2 through Windows 8 (32 & 64 bit).
Compatible with 10? What was your experience sir with this program? (Even on windows 8.1 or so)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You will need to update your experience on that.
This was like 6 weeks ago on Win10 using IE or Edge.

Since it said nothing in Win10 and I've neither run nor supported Win8, I wouldn't know. Now I do. My apologies for not knowing everything; I'll try to do better. :)

Oh, and "Wiki" isn't an authoritative source; that would be like citing "GeoCities" as an authoritative source. Microsoft's site--the authoritative source--only has Win7 Smartscreen information that I could find with Win10 being non-existent and other links 404.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Tani
I went straight from Windows 7 Ultimate to joining the Windows 10 Insider program.
System requirements can be found here--> http://voodooshield.com/faq/
I dont think Dan has updated the sys requirements since Windows 10 RTM
VooDoo Shield does a very good job, its a little pesky till you take the time to get your whitelist in order.
Once you do you hardly notice it, it requests to disable UAC at install but can run in tandem if your uncomfortable disabling UAC, but I disable UAC and have suffered "no" ill side effects including but not limited to using the Windows Store, it contains an option to sandbox or block a newly run executable.
Its reliable in windows 10240 x64 Pro, i have only tested it on the 10 Pro format so I am not 100% on the other configurations.
It can scan and has access to over 50 engines and I can manually select when a program or exe is auto blocked based on how many positives and a few other factors. Saves my whitelist to the cloud too.
Give it a look and see what you think. I love it
In testing, I have found it to run alongside Webroot, Bitdefender, and Avast quite nicely.
PS: the free version is pretty basic, the paid version will make any tech savvy user smile big.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.