Advice Request Does uBlock Origin v1.27.10 conflict with Edge's 'Strict' Tracking Protection?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Someone asked this on twitter when the tracking protection came out, and it was said that they dont conflict

Im using both of these, and sometimes tracking protection is blocking something that ublock doesnt and im running most lists ublock has listed

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
And how to find out?

Enable Edge tracking protection by itself and open UI to see blocked trackers. Enable µBO with Edge TP and check the former's UI to see blocked connections. Built-in protection takes precedence and blocks first, then µBO cleans up the leftovers. There may be better ways to check that are above my pay grade and that I'm not aware of.

There is no conflict between the two. uBlock is simply more granular.

Last edited:

S M G

Level 2
Feb 18, 2020
Enable Edge tracking protection by itself and open UI to see blocked trackers. Enable µBO with Edge TP and check the former's UI to see blocked connections. Built-in protection takes precedence and blocks first, then µBO cleans up the leftovers. There may be better ways to check that are above my pay grade and that I'm not aware of.

There is no conflict between the two. uBlock is simply more granular.
Do you use the default filters for uBo or custom filters?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There can be some sort of "conflict".
I have that on Twitter.
With Edge tracking protection on Strict I sometimes see retweets and stuff from people I follow and sometimes a clean page.
It's random so very annoying.
With Edge tracking protection disabled my adblocker does all the heavy lifting and I always have a clean page.
That's most likely caused by Edge tracking protection being less sophisticated and not performing any cosmetic filtering.
So, I made an exception for Twitter and for some Dutch news websites (to see the embedded social media content)
That means no filtering by Edge on those pages.
I submitted as feedback if we could get the option to set those exception pages to balanced instead of turning off tracking protection.
I would prefer strict for all pages and the ability to put some pages on balanced.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I keep Strict setting and uBlock Origin enabled and working together. Have not encountered any webpage anomalies yet, but you never know. I have about 2/3 of the lists enabled plus three imports.

I don't disable the Strict Tracking Prevention setting in Edge because then I end up with Tracking cookies like doubleclick.net and scorecardresearch.com, simply by going to gmail for example. Anything else but Strict setting in Privacy section will risk your getting these cookies.

hmpcookie.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I keep Strict setting and uBlock Origin enabled and working together. Have not encountered any webpage anomalies yet, but you never know. I have about 2/3 of the lists enabled plus three imports.

I don't disable the Strict Tracking Prevention setting in Edge because then I end up with Tracking cookies like doubleclick.net and scorecardresearch.com, simply by going to gmail for example. Anything else but Strict setting in Privacy section will risk your getting these cookies.

I have the same issue, but shouldn't those tracking cookies be blocked by uBlock Origin or AdGuard when tracking protection is disabled?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I don't know that uBlock Origin can do this out of the box, it didn't for me. You maybe have to add a blacklist. I don't have a specialized cookie blacklist in uBO, and at the moment, I don't need one provided Strict is enabled.

From what I've read, uMatrix can be used for the purpose of blocking Tracking cookies per website. I never could get into uMatrix, Gandalf_The_Grey. AdGuard, I'm not sure but if you can import a blacklist into uBO, you could do so in AdGuard, right?

I'll repost an exhaustive list of the myriad filters you can import into uBO, AdGuard, etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I don't know that uBlock Origin can do this out of the box, it didn't for me. You maybe have to add a blacklist. I don't have a specialized cookie blacklist in uBO, and at the moment, I don't need one provided Strict is enabled.

From what I've read, uMatrix can be used for the purpose of blocking Tracking cookies per website. I never could get into uMatrix, Gandalf_The_Grey. AdGuard, I'm not sure but if you can import a blacklist into uBO, you could do so in AdGuard, right?

I'll repost an exhaustive list of the myriad filters you can import into uBO, AdGuard, etc.

I always thought doubleclick.net and scorecardresearch.com were blocked by EasyPrivacy (uBlock) or Tracking Protection filter (AdGuard).
They both are on those lists:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I checked and EasyPrivacy is one filter list I have enabled; however, well over 400 domains are not included. Glancing thru the list and neither cookie is on there, surprise, surprise. Hmmm. Purging caches didn't change anything. Not sweating over it though.

Goes to show you redundancy can be a good thing. Thank you for pointing this out; it seems almost required that ubiquitous cookies like these are blocked by some default list.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Relative advantage of Edge-Chromium over other Chromium based browsers is Microsoft's good profile support (e.g. choosing which profile to use for links in mail and documents and automatic profile switching for specific website) makes it easy to surf & search with (nearly) every security and privacy protection maxed out and to book & buy with a default profile for zero website breakage.

I ran ublock companion for two weeks to check my third-party footprint (using Strict) and added only four ad & tracking services operating in the Dutch/Flemish language area in the "Other" file, see picture. I see no need for adding an addblocker with Edge anti-tracking on Strict and the option to add some additional domains in OTHER. I keep uBlock Companion installed, but use it ON CLICK (on demand) just to check third-party footprint from time to time).

1591194524123.png

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
i realized that Peter Lowe's list is a little problematic, but i didn't stop using it (don't ask me why :oops:)... Why did you stop using it and Malware list?
Fanboy's list is diligently maintained (he also works for Brave, maintaining their lists). Malware lists are a waste. Smartscreen or other web filters are best.

I submitted as feedback if we could get the option to set those exception pages to balanced instead of turning off tracking protection.
I would prefer strict for all pages and the ability to put some pages on balanced.
(y) (y) This is the same idea I had. I will send feedback too.

From what I've read, uMatrix can be used for the purpose of blocking Tracking cookies per website.
You can manage cookies per site directly from address bar UI. Brave offers an even better UI for managing all Shields functions.

I keep uBlock Companion installed, but use it ON CLICK (on demand) just to check third-party footprint from time to time).
Very sharp. @Spawn might benefit from this as well.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.