Does your AV detect files with double extensions?

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
I've noticed this in the last day or two and found it interesting.

If you create a new text file, then save the file with a double extension, for example "Test.txt.exe" Comodo Internet Security will detect the file straight away as malicious.

Wy24N.jpg

Instructions:

Open Notepad > type in any random text you like > Save As

Name the file, for example "Test.txt.exe" (without quotes)
Next to "Save as type" click the dropdown and select "All files"

Next to Encoding select Unicode, and save the file.

iFrek.png

Comodo deleted the file automatically.

Seeing as files with double extensions are in most cases malware, it would be interesting to see if other AV's have the same behavior.

Try this out and post your results.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Norton didnt pick up anything and i scaned it with malwarebytes and nothing also. virustotal for the file came up with nothing either

VT Results

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think it depends on the file behavior, that AV would detect it. Beside the name of double extensions but the content it.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks for trying!

I'm surprised more AV's don't implement this idea, seeing as it would eliminate alot of attempts to trick users into running malicious files.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The text file isn't malicious though, have you reported this to Comodo?

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
Earth said:

The point is it's able to tell a file is using dual extensions. Malware authors use this trick to make a file look like something it's not. Since windows hides extensions by default, they can make a file look like a text document etc, whereas it actually could be a .exe

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Does not matter what file it is, Comodo will always flag double extensions files... i noticed this when i encrypted some of my sisters files of her college work docs... think it's better to be safe than sorry so understand why it does get flagged to be fair.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
AyeAyeCaptain said:
Does not matter what file it is, Comodo will always flag double extensions files... i noticed this when i encrypted some of my sisters files of her college work docs... think it's better to be safe than sorry so understand why it does get flagged to be fair.

Yep, it's a good idea. More often than not double extensions signal malware, although as you stated they do arise in legitimate circumstances also.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:

There is nothing to report. The whole point of heuristics is to flag suspicious characteristics in the absence of a matching virus definition.

A file with two extensions is a suspicious characteristic due it being exploited by malware for the reasons already mentioned.

Heuristics by their very nature are prone to false positives because suspicious does not always mean harmful.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
It's a very smart move. This is almost only ever used by malware - there is no reason for a legitimate file to do this.

I would hope most heuristics check for this.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've remember before watching some videos of Avira 9. Simply making file like this one (not sure if its double extension) would popup every single alert.

D

Deleted member 178

double extensions are old kind of virus trick, very popular. .exe, .vbs, etc...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A friend tested this on his computer and it seems like Panda Cloud AV can also detect a double extensions.
Can anyone confirm that?

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I can confirm Panda cloud does detect double extensions. :)

EDIT: Just looked a little more into this and it seems Panda is blocking the creation of Executables not the dual extensions. If you look at this link http://blog.cloudantivirus.com/2010/06/03/behavioral-blocking-rules/
and looks at rule 5008 that is what is being used to block me creating a file called Test.txt.exe.

Cheers
Shaun

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
ESET doesn't seem to mind me creating a file with a double extension, i am am glad it doesn't.

My schools assignment submission system only accepts some file extensions, so sometimes we use double extensions to submit assignments. So i would be mighty crossed if ESET suddenly started removing my assignments. ;)

E

Exorcizm

Agreed with Shaun, Panda does detect Double Extensions.

ESET Smart Security 5 doesn't pick up double extensions as far as i can tell :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm using Comodo Internet Security and it does detect double extensions because it quarantined one after doing a full scan.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Have you noticed this in Avira? There is an option to detect file with double extensions, but is unchecked by default.

1tjyK.png

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Norton did not detect anything about it.
and hope, norton add that feature (double-extension files)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.