Advice Request DoH, DoT, DNSCrypt or DoQ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DoH, DoT, DNSCrypt or DoQ?

• DNS-over-HTTPS

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • DNS-over-TLS

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • DNSCrypt

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • DNS-over-QUIC

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I just tested DoT these two days and I find it really slows down my laptop. After I disabled it my laptop really flies even when running double-hop VPNs

Not sure if even worth the while using it

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If I could choose, I would in this order (UDP over TCP always).

1. DNS-over-QUIC
2. DNSCrypt
3. DNS-over-TLS
4. DNS-over-HTTPS

DoH is the worst possible option, unfortunately, it is the only thing, that browsers and the next Windows 10 support. It is still better than the default DNS, but ... . :cautious:

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

1. DNS-over-QUIC
2. DNSCrypt
3. DNS-over-TLS
4. DNS-over-HTTPS

DoH is the worst possible option, unfortunately, it is the only thing, that browsers and the next Windows 10 support. It is still better than the default DNS, but ... . :cautious:
UDP over TCP because it's faster?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

1. DNS-over-QUIC
2. DNSCrypt
3. DNS-over-TLS
4. DNS-over-HTTPS

DNSCrypt has quit and replaced by DoT

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
DNSCrypt has quit and replaced by DoT

Isn't it still integrated in Yandex Browser?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
therefore DNS requests must be hidden in HTTPS traffic
Encrypted DNS requests are all private, regardless of which option you choose. ISP will still see, that you are making requests to the particular DNS service, just via https, but ISP will not be able to tell, what you are requesting. DoH is just harder to block, but not impossible, if they wanted to. Still, without VPN, ISP will know to what IPs you have connected, most likely webpages as well. So much for privacy. The main advantage of encrypted DNS is, that they are better protected and can not be easily tampered with, DNSEC can be hijacked.

Attachments

• capture_01102021_164726.jpg
    capture_01102021_164726.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 249

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.