Advice Request Downgrade to Windows 8.1

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
from the beginning of windows 10, i don`t like it. i like windows 8.1 more. today i start thinking to go back to windows 8.1 but i decided to ask here first if this is a bad decision or if windows 8.1 isn`t safe to use anymore. thanks in advance for all your opinions.

Reactions: Nevi and upnorth

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The preview of Windows 2004 seems faster and more efficient still (and 1909 is a very fast and stable build, in my opinion). There are still some bugs...but Microsoft has a month and a half to iron out some of them. Some. Not all. :ROFLMAO:

A few years ago, I was so comfortable with the Anniversary Update like it was Windows 8.1, I actually did not want to move on. I was also a little intimidated because some were complaining so bitterly about Windows 10 in general, and with some justification. But clearly, you have to consider it if you want the most secure experience online. I don't depend solely on security apps.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
@Eslam Gamal What build of Windows 10 are you running? Performance increased a lot for some low end systems with build 1909.

Some of my old systems on which Windows 10 was sluggish on, but ran Windows 8 well, were finally usable with Windows 10 1909.
i found that it wasn`t the o.s fault. AVG was the cause of this issue in my system. i just uninstalled it and my system runs very smooth as normal. i tried my work softwares (Autodesk) and they work very fast as normal. i have windows 10 pro version 1909 with the latest april update. windows 10 is running very well now and so light.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
i found that it wasn`t the o.s fault. AVG was the cause of this issue in my system. i just uninstalled it and my system runs very smooth as normal. i tried my work softwares (Autodesk) and they work very fast as normal. i have windows 10 pro version 1909 with the latest april update. windows 10 is running very well now and so light.
I noticed that on devices where AVG is installed, Chrome tells that my device is managed by my organisation :unsure: I googled that and I read something about chrome policy. Chrome does not show that on devices running other security programmes. I am also fed up with Firefox warning me that "Some AVG users are not able to access their passwords"even though I have got AVG password protection disabled (not even installed).

Edit
I also noticed that when hardened mode is enabled, programmes take a bit longer to start.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I noticed that on devices where AVG is installed, Chrome tells that my device is managed by my organisation :unsure: I googled that and I read something about chrome policy. Chrome does not show that on devices running other security programmes. I am also fed up with Firefox warning me that "Some AVG users are not able to access their passwords"even though I have got AVG password protection disabled (not even installed).

Edit
I also noticed that when hardened mode is enabled, programmes take a bit longer to start.
yes, Avast adds in the last update something calls (Quick Protocol) under the web shield options that is the responsible for what you see in chrome and firefox and to be true i don`t trust them any more. many users are discuss about this in Avast forum. i will go with Bitdefender on my working laptop too. it runs very well on my other device.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
yes, Avast adds in the last update something calls (Quick Protocol) under the web shield options that is the responsible for what you see in chrome and firefox and to be true i don`t trust them any more. many users are discuss about this in Avast forum. i will go with Bitdefender on my working laptop too. it runs very well on my other device.
Get rid of any av use a simple wall as firewall or better
Use group policy to set srp on windows if you're not an average user
Btw you can set many great policies on chrome via regedit or directly

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.