Downloaded a file that contains an adware. I did not open/install it, am I infected?

James Perez

Thread author
May 23, 2015
Recently, I downloaded a file that was supposed to be a zip file but downloaded a .dmg on my MB Pro Mid-2012 | V: 10.10.3. Immediately, I felt suspicious of it because it was suppose to be a zip file. Ran it through virustotal and Dr. Web detected: Adware.Downware.11084; I did not install the file or even opened it. I put the file in the trash and empty my trash soon after the incident. I been searching through the discussion page for any related issue or an answer to my question so... now, my question is am I infected (I did not open or install it)? Another question is: do you have to install the file for the malware to infected my computer or are you immediately infected once the file is downloaded? (since, I just read a post from this same website that in order for your android to infected by the malware/adware the application must be installed. Does that imply for any system?)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.