Advice Request Dr Web CurIt not free anymore?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Tried that but the database is out of date and can't be updated without getting the same 404 error.
Oh VERY interesting. I deleted the download without proceeding as I didn't want to download anything further (I'm aware this is via the Russian Federation). So according to your test, it's not possible anyway, at least not for certain people. I'm thinking more and more this is because we're in the US. Any def. would have to come from....its Moscow office? What other explanation could there be?

Edit: OK, I put aside my aversion and downloaded CureIt again from Softpedia. I then clicked the link on the UI to update the definitions and all that happened was the download page to the original Dr. Web site opened in my browser. No 404 but no fresh definitions either. It prob. says the same as yours: last update was 3/21/2022--yesterday. No idea if the def. are updated daily on the Softpedia site, I guess that's something one has to do individually.

The scanner works fine though but without the latest def. I think I'll pass. It is portable though, if that matters. No installation. Oooo and now I can't delete it form my downloads, somehow the permissions got changed. I'll try in Safe Mode but honestly, I'm sorry I got mixed up in this. Edit: it dragged and dropped into Recycle and it's gone now. Prob. just a glitch, as I've used and liked Dr. Web software in the past.

cureitdeletedl.PNG

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Oh VERY interesting. I deleted the download without proceeding as I didn't want to download anything further (I'm aware this is via the Russian Federation). So according to your test, it's not possible anyway, at least not for certain people. I'm thinking more and more this is because we're in the US. Any def. would have to come from....its Moscow office? What other explanation could there be?

Edit: OK, I put aside my aversion and downloaded CureIt again from Softpedia. I then clicked the link on the UI to update the definitions and all that happened was the download page to the original Dr. Web site opened in my browser. No 404 but no fresh definitions either. It prob. says the same as yours: last update was 3/21/2022--yesterday. No idea if the def. are updated daily on the Softpedia site, I guess that's something one has to do individually.

The scanner works fine though but without the latest def. I think I'll pass. It is portable though, if that matters. No installation.
Thankyou plat for checking. I use it in shadow mode at times. I will try a VPN and see if it is a regional thing like you think it could be.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Tried InPrivate with Edge with same result. Last time this happened, I tried Windows Repair Toolbox and that link worked. I will give that a try again and post back here.
I tried one more time & this time got 404 error on Edge Desktop, maybe it doesn't allow download more than one time for single IP address, idk. Tried VPN (Location: Italy) with private window and it worked this time.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
I tried one more time & this time got 404 error on Edge Desktop, maybe it doesn't allow download more than one time for single IP address, idk. Tried VPN (Location: Italy) with private window and it worked this time.
In the past it always allowed downloads from same IP addy so it is not that it is a reginal thang. Try again from the same Italy IP

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Thread author
Hello

I went to download Dr Web Curit today and am getting a can not download free version anymore. They still send your download link via e-mail but in my case it won't let me download it and wants me to buy.
Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks
DrWeb is not geo-blocking CureIt downloads to US IP addresses. It is a page not found 404 error. That is a webpage misconfiguration on the website. Using a USA exit node I am able to download it. Without the exit node (using I USA proxy - I do not live in the USA) I get Error 404 Page Not Found.

Someone just needs to notify DrWeb support. My guess would be that they're already aware of it and a fix just isn't a priority.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
DrWeb is not geo-blocking CureIt downloads to US IP addresses. It is a page not found 404 error. That is a webpage misconfiguration on the website. Using a USA exit node I am able to download it. Without the exit node (using I USA proxy - I do not live in the USA) I get Error 404 Page Not Found.

Someone just needs to notify DrWeb support. My guess would be that they're already aware of it and a fix just isn't a priority.
This is not the first time this has happened. So, I guess whatever they fixed before, they have now unfixed.

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author

Would you be so kind as to tell me what USA node you tried that worked? I have tried all that come with Windscribe Free and none work but the ones I try from other countries work.

F

ForgottenSeer 94654

Thread author
Would you be so kind as to tell me what USA node you tried that worked? I have tried all that come with Windscribe Free and none work but the ones I try from other countries work.
Any American server listed here: Servers | Mullvad VPN

Just a thought, but you might want to try on your VPN client a different protocol (UDP or TCP), different ports, different client (if available, OpenVPN or WireGuard), use only IPv4, etc.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.