System Examiner - A free app to create a system information and troubleshooting report from Windows

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
Hey! I made an app called System Examiner. It creates a report of your Windows PC's hardware and software configuration, and it also looks for common problems from the system. Both hardware and software related problems. It's freeware.

This is what such report looks like: System Examiner Report - Windows 10 Pro - Version 22H2 (Build 19045)

The main use case is to easily share the details of your computer with someone else, for example if asking for technical support. This is especially handy with System Examiner, because you can share your report online with a click of a button and then just send the Share URL to anyone you want. Of course, if you don't use the sharing feature, your data is not shared with anyone. Everything about the app is very privacy oriented.

I have tested the app already with about two dozen computers, but that's all I have access to. The app seems to be working and I think it's pretty good, even if I say so myself.

But, I want to make it better.

So, would anyone be interested in having a quick try and letting me know any feedback you might have? Of course, you can run it in a VM if you find it suspect.

You can see screenshots and download it from here: System Examiner

I hope you like it. But especially if you don't, please let me know how I can make it better. Thank you!

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It ran quickly and smoothly on the Win 10 system I tried it on. The reports seem to be very accurate. I can see why you suggest that it will be useful for those who need to get technical help, as it will probably get the required information that is not always easily obtained if you do not know how to get below the surface on Windows systems. I like it.

An initial piece of feedback is that the lists of services might be easier to read/scroll through if they could be presented in a list view, rather than as blocks of text ( unless this is because of how my system is set up?). I've attached a small sample screenshot.

Also, with regard to the disk usage analysis; the boot drive, which is very small, was highlighted as having 'Critically low free space', I will ignore that as it does not need more space, but other users may not be aware of this.

Attachments

• System Examiner 2.PNG
    System Examiner 2.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 83

jv16

From Macecraft Software
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 2, 2023
It ran quickly and smoothly on the Win 10 system I tried it on. The reports seem to be very accurate. I can see why you suggest that it will be useful for those who need to get technical help, as it will probably get the required information that is not always easily obtained if you do not know how to get below the surface on Windows systems. I like it.

An initial piece of feedback is that the lists of services might be easier to read/scroll through if they could be presented in a list view, rather than as blocks of text ( unless this is because of how my system is set up?). I've attached a small sample screenshot.

Also, with regard to the disk usage analysis; the boot drive, which is very small, was highlighted as having 'Critically low free space', I will ignore that as it does not need more space, but other users may not be aware of this.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

My reasoning for the listing of certain data, such as the Windows Services as a block (i.e. separated by comma) instead of a list is that this way, I can better use the entire real estate of the screen. If it is a list, then it would make the report very long, with a lot of the screen empty, but showing this basic data comma separated takes less space.

You can use the Minimal / Detailed view toggle to display all these "block view" sections as lists already, too.

I will certainly think about the optimal layout for these data lists. There is a lot of data to show, I want to make the listing as optimal as I can.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
You are welcome, if I can help developers with their projects in a small way then I am happy to try to do so. I understand your reasoning for not using 'list view', it would indeed be a very long list. I can go with your current choice quite easily My apologies, I missed the toggle option for minimal/detail views.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.