App Review Dr.Web Security Space 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Dr.Web test!
Dr.Web is a Russian company, competitor of Kaspersky and well known for its disinfection tool, CureIt.
It is more intended for an informed or professional public, even if Dr.Web over the years brings it to a family market.

In this version, Dr.Web strengthens its Cloud and pro-active defenses, let's see it...

In terms of protection, Dr.Web reacts well, defends itself well.
On the other hand, I noticed that the web protection is not as good as it should be... No blocking on phishing and an average anti-malware web protection.
Infections have passed.

During the test of the pack, Dr.Web is very fast to analyze but HORRIBLY long to disinfect! It took almost 3 hours to clean the pack!
The Plutonium malware passes, but DrWeb prevents the MBR patch without any alert.
Then Origami is blocked, but again, without any alert.
2 keys of a Trojan horse are on Autoruns.

The disinfection tools find a lot of garbage but only 2 infections are active.

Dr.Web is recommendable, but can do better, especially in defenses against unknown malware.

RAM Usage : Average
Phishing Test : 0/5 (all missed)
Malware URL test : 6.5/10 (3 missed, 1 blocked by firewall)
Fake crack : 0,5/1 (Many infections are blocked by the antivirus but many also pass... the firewall blocks all connections)
Malware Pack : Remaining 3 files to 436 malwares
Home Malware : 1/1 (crash, blocked wihout alert)
Result :
- Dr.Web : 0
- Zemana : 1
- Hitman Pro :15
- NPE : 11
- Emsisoft : 3
- Autoruns : 2 keys (Trojan Horse... VT : 22/67)

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
Dr.Web has good technologies. The main problem of this software is region constraint which effects on detection because they have many honeypots in the east side of earth. It has good power for deleting to malwares. I tried to contact to customer services and they always responded to me. They increased their prices approximately 3-4 euros/ products but in-house salary is low which means that many workers left this company. Finally, Dr.Web has a big positive virtue:

How can I renew my license so that I get a 150-day bonus?​

How can I renew my license so that I get a 150-day bonus? — Dr.Web — innovative anti-virus technologies. Comprehensive protection from Internet threats.

It can be obtainable in low price in this website: Buy Dr.Web Security Space 1 Year 1PC 1Mob +150 day REG FREE and download

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have never used this antivirus on a desktop PC, but once I won a one-year license for Doctor Web Katana (this is a separate program that is a cut-out preventive protection module from the antivirus). This program is positioned as an addition to any antivirus. And Katana lasted less than a month with me, as there were a lot of problems with this program.
Doctor Web was recently tested on the COMSS website. The result is not very good. The disinfection process is not just long, but very long. Doctor Web removed the threats detected during the archive scan within ... three days (!).
Currently, the development of antivirus is in stagnation, and its popularity is declining even in Russia.
In the comments to the video on COMSS, one of the users wrote a phrase that very accurately characterizes the state of this antivirus - "Doctor Web is a monument of the 90s of the last century. In those days he was cool, but in those days he was alive ... ".

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
@SFox

For the benefit of Kaspersky? Isn't it DrWeb that protects the Russian army?
Kaspersky has always been popular in Russia (and not only). But in the 90s, Doctor Web was at least on a par with Kaspersky in the segment of home use in terms of popularity. And then something happened to the Doctor ... I don't remember a single computer of my friends, acquaintances who had Doctor Web installed.
When I talk about stagnation, I'm talking about the consumer segment, for home use. In the corporate segment, the Doctor is doing well so far, although I have never seen the installed Doctor Web anywhere in budgetary institutions.
The fact that the Doctor's popularity among home users in Russia is falling is evidenced by such an annual survey, which is conducted by a large Russian site dedicated to antivirus programs. The best antivirus is selected in various categories. More than 30,000 people have taken part in the voting so far. Among the most popular antiviruses of the basic level, Internet Security level, antiviruses for Mac, Doctor Web takes only 3rd place everywhere. In the first place - Kaspersky, in the second place - Eset. If you go to any network store of computer equipment in Russia and walk up to showcases with boxed versions of antiviruses, then in front of everyone there will be boxes with Kaspersky antivirus, then boxes with Eset, and after them - Doctor Web. However, judging by the same poll of users on the site, Doctor Web is confidently in first place in such categories as Best Antivirus for Android (Eset is in second place, Kaspersky is in third) and Best Antivirus Scanner.
By the way, the best free antivirus, judging by the votes of users, is Windows Defender, which was voted for by 50% of users (15,000 people), and Kaspersky Free is only in second place with 9600 votes :oops: Vote for the best antivirus of 2021

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I don't consider WD/MD as a Free AV... can You install it as a stand alone in any system? No, is Windows OS free? No... so You pay for it, not free... just my humble opinion 😁
This is an ambiguous moment :) You don't buy / renew your Windows Defender license every year. For any paid antivirus, you must renew the license annually by paying for another year of use (or another period, more than a year, depending on the license). :rolleyes: When you buy a license for Windows, the built-in antivirus comes to you for free "as a gift" as a useful add-on that you do not need to pay annually to protect you. :D

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I don't consider WD/MD as a Free AV... can You install it as a stand alone in any system? No, is Windows OS free? No... so You pay for it, not free... just my humble opinion 😁
At least the Home version is.
Actually did not pay a pence when I upgraded my Win8 -> 10 Pro (I got both 7 + 8 delivered as choice when I bought my tower @ Medion / eBay), and moved Win 10 Home -> 11 on my laptop lately.
They do their money with fresh OEM lic, M$ Office, cloud Services, with their Store (ever noticed the price difference their compared to Steam and - not to compare not sure if legit, however at least working fine - Steam keys on eBay) and Ads.

icotonev

Verified
Staff Member
Mar 9, 2017
Looking at the poll, I am quite surprised by the presence of SpyHunter, Trojan Remover, Loaris Trojan Remover, Zemana AntiMalware .... At the same time, ESET Online Scanner, RogueKiller, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, Panda Cloud Cleaner are missing ...?!?

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
Looking at the poll, I am quite surprised by the presence of SpyHunter, Trojan Remover, Loaris Trojan Remover, Zemana AntiMalware .... At the same time, ESET Online Scanner, RogueKiller, Sophos Virus Removal Tool, Panda Cloud Cleaner are missing ...?!?
Programs are included in the rating for voting for a reason, but based on the number of downloads from the site. The rating includes those programs that are included in the top 10 downloads from the site over the past year.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I have only used Dr Web CureIt over the years. There is a paid version but have never used that option. The only downside is if you want the latest defs, you have to redownload the program. I still think it is a good stand alone scanner. Dr.Web CureIt! - Healing utility
Yes, the Doctor's standalone scanner is one of the best for treating an infected system. If Kaspersky, Eset, Avast or Bitdefender missed something, the Doctor will cure :)
And the Doctor's antivirus for Android is also better than others. This is the only one of all antiviruses that found two malicious programs in my phone firmware, which Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast and Malwarebytes could not find.

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
On the other hand, I noticed that the web protection is not as good as it should be... No blocking on phishing and an average anti-malware web protection.
Perhaps this result happened because Doctor Web is primarily focused on protecting against phishing and malicious sites on the Russian Internet, and primarily protects against phishing and malicious sites common in Eastern Europe. In Western Europe, few people have heard of Doctor Web, just as in Russia, few people have heard of Bitdefender, for example. Therefore, this result is also in the test, as you tested on phishing and malicious sites, which are widespread primarily in Western Europe.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Good Job
As I remember (when I tested Dr.Web in MH)
detection rate is average(a little lower than average)
Great FireWall & Behavior blocker
Very slow in removing malwares....
BTW its good Av , they have great team & really worked hard, its need a little more improvement....

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
@SFox

For the benefit of Kaspersky? Isn't it DrWeb that protects the Russian army?
Dr.Web protect Russian defense ministry, keep close attention ( for security reasons many of countries don't said they used which Avs in their militaries...) , Btw , we do't know Russian army use which one (or may be both of them,or of course none of them :D )

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.