Showcase Dracus' Main PC

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Very nice config! How does the 7700K perform? Better than Skylake?
The performance difference is not much greater than the 6th gen Skylake, in my opinion.

If you want to upgrade from an existing 6700K in your system, I recommend that you do not. (or from 6600K to 7600K)

If you are building a system from scratch though, then I'd say it's reasonable to get the 7th gen models, because at a nearly identical price to the 6th gen CPUs, they offer more performance (even if it's just a little).

I think its time for you to buy NVMe SSD from Corsair or Samsung to unleash the full fury of your monster. Isn't AS5 conductive? I use Ceramique 2.
Indeed you are right. Except I am currently saving up to invest in a GTX 1080Ti or AMD's high-end Vega-based GPU to come out in Q2 2017. *-*

Oh and as for Arctic Silver 5, it has been tested and found not to be conductive by many enthusiasts, as far as I've read. Plus, I've been using it for all of my unlocked processor builds (years now), so I'm quite confident with it. :D

Last edited:

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Very very nice setup. Have you tried OCing your graphic card? I'm curious because I've heard mumbling from peers about Nvidia OCing breaking Windows 10 stability. I've personally had no such issue. I have a high-end MSI card as well, they are definitely the most OCable.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Very very nice setup. Have you tried OCing your graphic card? I'm curious because I've heard mumbling from peers about Nvidia OCing breaking Windows 10 stability. I've personally had no such issue. I have a high-end MSI card as well, they are definitely the most OCable.
I really haven't tried that, no. At most, I use the "OC Mode" profile on my GPU (1708 MHz base clock / 1847 MHz boost clock). Not much an overclocking fan anyway. (would probably need aftermarket cooler to get some sweet 2000MHz anyway)

I also doubt OCing would break OS stability. It would break other stuff first - by the time the OS breaks, it might be already too late. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Oh and as for Arctic Silver 5, it has been tested and found not to be conductive by many enthusiasts, as far as I've read. Plus, I've been using it for all of my unlocked processor builds (years now), so I'm quite confident with it. :D
So it was marketing hype. I thought it was similar to metal paste like TG Conductonaut. For temperature based stress based I'd recommend you play a game with GFX settings to High or extreme and run a full scan using WD. WD is a good tool for stressing CPU. WD is fast whilst using SSD. My temperature stayed in 100C during these tests.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
So it was marketing hype. I thought it was similar to metal paste like TG Conductonaut. For temperature based stress based I'd recommend you play a game with GFX settings to High or extreme and run a full scan using WD. WD is a good tool for stressing CPU. WD is fast whilst using SSD. My temperature stayed in 100C during these tests.
Interesting. I didn't even run stress tests on either my card or my CPU, as neither of them are overclocked to the point where you'd need to perform any stress tests (GPU is in the worst case running at factory overclock, and CPU is at 4.2GHz - hardly the frequencies to stress either of the components).

Besides, WD had actually run a scheduled scan by itself while I was playing a game. Didn't notice it until I saw the notification in Action Center. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl and Vasudev
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Great rig!
Interesting. I didn't even run stress tests on either my card or my CPU, as neither of them are overclocked to the point where you'd need to perform any stress tests (GPU is in thee worst case running at factory overclock, and CPU is at 4.2GHz - hardly the frequencies to stress either of the components).

Besides, WD had actually run a scheduled scan by itself while I was playing a game. Didn't notice it until I saw the notification in Action Center. :D

Wow! WD uses a lot of CPU when scanning!

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Someone went a bit overkill with the psu except if you plan to put another 1080 there to minimize the overkill :p.
HEHE I'm surprised at all the huge power supplies still being sold.

For a while there, the trend was bigger/faster meant lots more power draw but reducing power along with performance became the norm.

I say this having relegated both my Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W PSUs to the bench system and a spare in the closet in favor of more efficient 600W Platimax and 900W (Gold) PSUs.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Someone went a bit overkill with the psu except if you plan to put another 1080 there to minimize the overkill :p.
Overkill, indeed!! I was aiming for a 980Ti SLI build back when I was still planning this one... budget/reason cought up with me (lol) and I ended up with a single GTX 1080 (that had almost just released by the time I decided to buy the parts).

That doesn't mean I will not go for an xx80Ti SLI upgrade in the future, now that I have the base build... TO BE CONTINUED

Reactions: SHvFl

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Pretty much top of the line everything lol.
I don't see a rational need for such intensive resources unless you are working with VMs running while gaming ahah.

Sweet build though.
Thanks for your remarks, mate. :D

To be honest, there are some games that are so savagely unoptimized, that you need top of the line hardware to actually have them perform properly in their maximum settings. Prime example is Arma 3. (GTX 1080 handles it so and so at 1080p - it's both heavy, and badly coded).

GENERAL UPDATE I am considering upgrading to GTX 1080Ti and staying at 1080p/1440p until 2160p60 gaming becomes mainstream on mid-range hardware.

SLI for any GPU model is absolutely out of the question due to horrible gaming performance (severe stuttering in certain cases, most titles are unoptimized for it).

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks for your remarks, mate. :D

To be honest, there are some games that are so savagely unoptimized, that you need top of the line hardware to actually have them perform properly in their maximum settings. Prime example is Arma 3. (GTX 1080 handles it so and so at 1080p - it's both heavy, and badly coded).

GENERAL UPDATE I am considering upgrading to GTX 1080Ti and staying at 1080p/1440p until 2160p60 gaming becomes mainstream on mid-range hardware.

SLI for any GPU model is absolutely out of the question due to horrible gaming performance (severe stuttering in certain cases, most titles are unoptimized for it).
Just for 30% gains and being notoriously expensive is not worth. I guess Vega or Volta seems like a good choice. Upgrading to newer card of the same generation will see only measly gains and not worth it.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.