DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Very good and well implemented setup.:)

About PrivaZer, you can consider the installable version that offers the opportunity to program the data erasure process, so keeping your system automatically clean.
I prefer portable applications so that they leave no file traces behind. However, automating the cleanup process of PrivaZer is an amazing idea! That's why am going to try to manually schedule PrivaZer Portable to clean up my PC ever time I boot into Windows. If the developer of PrivaZer doesn't implement command-line parameters for the application, I'm going to figure out an improvised workaround for scheduling an auto-cleanup by myself. :p
(I once created a scheduled task for CCleaner and it still runs on my main machine on boot-up)

Again, thanks for the tip! I've already written it down! :p

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I prefer portable applications so that they leave no file traces behind. However, automating the cleanup process of PrivaZer is an amazing idea! That's why am going to try to manually schedule PrivaZer Portable to clean up my PC ever time I boot into Windows. If the developer of PrivaZer doesn't implement command-line parameters for the application, I'm going to figure out an improvised workaround for scheduling an auto-cleanup by myself. :p
(I once created a scheduled task for CCleaner and it still runs on my main machine on boot-up)

Again, thanks for the tip! I've already written it down! :p
That is a great idea. :)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
That's a really good config for a power user,you might also like LightAlloy as a substitute for PotPlayer, give it a look.Apart, from that really nice.
Well, PotPlayer is already a substitute, and I am very interested in adding more to my list of alternative media players!
My main player is VLC, I have used it for years and years, and since I always had capable hardware on the computers I play media files on, I have not noticed too much of a performance increase on my main PC. On my older laptops however, I have found that VLC can be quite heavy, so I tried out PotPlayer and I liked it. I will test LightAlloy of course, since as I have already mentioned, I love trying out alternatives to my current software. :p

No i consider PotPlayer the better option. ;)
Wouldn't hurt to try it! :D I have already installed it. I'm going to test it out on some hardcore .mkv files and see how it works on them.
Note: I encode most of my video files in .wmv, .mkv, and .mov formats.

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well, PotPlayer is already a substitute, and I am very interested in adding more to my list of alternative media players!
My main player is VLC, I have used it for years and years, and since I always had capable hardware on the computers I play media files on, I have not noticed too much of a performance increase on my main PC. On my older laptops however, I have found that VLC can be quite heavy, so I tried out PotPlayer and I liked it. I will test LightAlloy of course, since as I have already mentioned, I love trying out alternatives to my current software. :p
you could consider these settings for a quick try : Light Alloy multimedia player - some useful settings

enjoy

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Light Alloy is a good media player, Dimetri makes a good software. i was a Beta tester for his first version.
Well,well I knew there was something special about the sly silverfox(frog). Yep,I like Lightalloy as it really feels light on the old home laptop,VLC not so much, although one of the VLC developers was from my University.

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks for the recommendation, everyone! I installed LightAlloy and I am now messing with its settings using some good information from the thread @Rishi mentioned in one of his posts above.
I'm really starting to like LightAlloy! :p

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Finally getting around to trying to suggest tools for folks where I can now that I am more secure myself. These aren't security/malware related but products comparable to the ones you listed and a couple I can recommend, as you seem to like speedy optimized process like I do. Feel free to ignore them, or check them out at your leisure, I am no salesman and not affiliated with any company, and probably far from an expert.

Re: PotPlayer and VLC: my own personal recommendation is K-Lite Codec Pack - I have been using it for years, and everytime I try something else I go right back to it for all my video watching needs. About the K-Lite Codec Pack The standard pack is all I need, and my wife keeps me on my toes as she downloads all sorts of weird videos from around the world. I really like the extremely stable and capable MPC-HC player that comes in the standard install along with added functionality/stability by the codec pack. There are a variety of codec packs so it should be useful no matter how esoteric your video needs are.

I second the recommendation of cFosSpeed . I just actually bought 2 lifetime licenses for it on sale to try and more effectively share my DSL connection with my wife on her machine. It works great, even on one machine. Free to try for 30 days. I thought it was going to be digital snake oil, but I am very pleased. It may also have come free with your motherboard already too. ASRock calls it Xfast Lan. Here is their site : cFosSpeed - Faster Internet access with Traffic Shaping - Internet-Accelerator + Ping optimizer - cFos Software and more importantly, check this out, they are trying to get their product greenlighted on steam, just check the glowing comments and recommendations from normally impolite and surly steam users: Steam Greenlight :: cFosSpeed - The Internet-Accelerator

If cfosspeed misbehaves it all, dump the traffic analysis data and calibrate your line. I notice sometimes it can lose optimal settings and I have to re-calibrate with speedtest.net

My last recommendation is Process Lasso from Bitsum. Process Lasso - Restrain CPU hogs, automate, and optimize your PC! Again, when I first tied it, like cfosspeed, I thought 'oh great, more digital snake oil'. 100% functional for life free, it just nags you on startup after 30 days if you don't buy a license. I have 2 lifetime licenses myself as I love the company. It's an actual working task manager for Windows. I have loved it on XP, 7 and now 10, on fast machines just upgraded with new hardware, or slow machines on their last legs. I like it so much I even gave away a couple lifetime licenses as Xmas presents this week to family. Again, it's fully functional, no tweaking necessary (but you can tweak SO much) but it's pretty optimal right out of the box with default settings. I won't run a machine without it. I respect it so much that if something I install has to be constantly coralled with Process Lasso, I find a replacement =) Unless it's an on demand scanner, anything that runs in real time better behave or it goes. I have a soft spot for Firefox though, which behaves quite badly indeed! The Insights window keeps track of processes restrained in the background while you are doing other things. Firefox is usually public enemy number one, but lately I have been testing a lot of scanners.

2015-12-12 13_42_50-ProBalance Insights.jpg

The second jpg shows the main Process Lasso window. I usually sort by CPU avg just to see who is messing around when my back is turned. Very useful for detecting badly written apps and memory leaks. I also aim for no more than 1-3% cpu utilization while idling and not running anything except real-time protection/utilities. I also try to maintain 100% responsiveness at all times. It keeps the impatient wife happy.

2015-12-12 14_01_07-Process Lasso Pro.jpg

naxos1.jpg Also, what part of Greece are you in? Visited Athens, Naxos, Paros and Ios (the Cyclades) for 3 weeks on holiday in the 80's when house music was a baby and raves did not yet exist. Awesome memories (those that I can recall) and the Cyclades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are truly my idea of heaven on earth!

Last edited by a moderator:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Finally getting around to trying to suggest tools for folks where I can now that I am more secure myself. These aren't security/malware related but products comparable to the ones you listed and a couple I can recommend, as you seem to like speedy optimized process like I do. Feel free to ignore them, or check them out at your leisure, I am no salesman and not affiliated with any company, and probably far from an expert.

Re: PotPlayer and VLC: my own personal recommendation is K-Lite Codec Pack - I have been using it for years, and everytime I try something else I go right back to it for all my video watching needs. About the K-Lite Codec Pack The standard pack is all I need, and my wife keeps me on my toes as she downloads all sorts of weird videos from around the world. I really like the extremely stable and capable MPC-HC player that comes in the standard install along with added functionality/stability by the codec pack. There are a variety of codec packs so it should be useful no matter how esoteric your video needs are.

I second the recommendation of cFosSpeed . I just actually bought 2 lifetime licenses for it on sale to try and more effectively share my DSL connection with my wife on her machine. It works great, even on one machine. Free to try for 30 days. I thought it was going to be digital snake oil, but I am very pleased. It may also have come free with your motherboard already too. ASRock calls it Xfast Lan. Here is their site : cFosSpeed - Faster Internet access with Traffic Shaping - Internet-Accelerator + Ping optimizer - cFos Software and more importantly, check this out, they are trying to get their product greenlighted on steam, just check the glowing comments and recommendations from normally impolite and surly steam users: Steam Greenlight :: cFosSpeed - The Internet-Accelerator

If cfosspeed misbehaves it all, dump the traffic analysis data and calibrate your line. I notice sometimes it can lose optimal settings and I have to re-calibrate with speedtest.net

My last recommendation is Process Lasso from Bitsum. Process Lasso - Restrain CPU hogs, automate, and optimize your PC! Again, when I first tied it, like cfosspeed, I thought 'oh great, more digital snake oil'. 100% functional for life free, it just nags you on startup after 30 days if you don't buy a license. I have 2 lifetime licenses myself as I love the company. It's an actual working task manager for Windows. I have loved it on XP, 7 and now 10, on fast machines just upgraded with new hardware, or slow machines on their last legs. I like it so much I even gave away a couple lifetime licenses as Xmas presents this week to family. Again, it's fully functional, no tweaking necessary (but you can tweak SO much) but it's pretty optimal right out of the box with default settings. I won't run a machine without it. I respect it so much that if something I install has to be constantly coralled with Process Lasso, I find a replacement =) Unless it's an on demand scanner, anything that runs in real time better behave or it goes. I have a soft spot for Firefox though, which behaves quite badly indeed! The Insights window keeps track of processes restrained in the background while you are doing other things. Firefox is usually public enemy number one, but lately I have been testing a lot of scanners.

View attachment 78258

The second jpg shows the main Process Lasso window. I usually sort by CPU avg just to see who is messing around when my back is turned. Very useful for detecting badly written apps and memory leaks. I also aim for no more than 1-3% cpu utilization while idling and not running anything except real-time protection/utilities. I also try to maintain 100% responsiveness at all times. It keeps the impatient wife happy.

View attachment 78260

View attachment 78276 Also, what part of Greece are you in? Visited Athens, Naxos, Paros and Ios (the Cyclades) for 3 weeks on holiday in the 80's when house music was a baby and raves did not yet exist. Awesome memories (those that I can recall) and the Cyclades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are truly my idea of heaven on earth!
First of all, thank you so much @Hangtooth for taking the time and putting all that effort in such a detailed and descriptive post! I greatly appreciate it! :p

Well, well. First things first. So much information here! :D

Regarding VLC/PotPlayer: I have seen some friends who work as computer technicians install the K-Lite Codec Pack on many machines - simply because it worked, and no user (especially beginners or those who don't want to know and mess with things) would ever complain about a video file not playing. I personally have been a fan of VLC for any and all my video files, as well as my audio files. The first media player I tried and the primary one I ever will be using. I did install K-Lite Codec Pack once, but I always just left it there as a backup - and in the end I uninstalled it. Recently I tried BS.Player. Same story - tried, left it there, uninstalled it in the end. Recently I tried PotPlayer - this one's quite worth it, I tested it and it works pretty good and smoothly, it's got nifty features and all that. I'm going to keep this as backup and see how it turns out. Still, though, VLC will remain my top pick for a video player. I have more than capable hardware, so there is no noticeable difference in playback speed for me at all, no matter the media player that I use. (NOTE: I also use QuickTime for my visual FX projects, and for this purpose only)

I have been hearing and reading a lot about cFosSpeed and Process Lasso. I'm the kind of user who loves versatile utilities - hence the reason I constantly update my toolkit with the newest versions of COMODO Cleaning Essentials/Killswitch and all of the Sysinternals utilities. These two tools though, cFosSpeed and Process Lasso, seem to have more applications and uses than just tweaking and diagnosing a system. They not only aim for functionality - they aim for the improvement of the overall performance when it comes to gaming or watching movies, and for me, even rendering a 3D scene or an AfterFX project. I can only say that I will be definitely trying these out in the very near future, as in "right now", maybe. :D

Thanks, again, for all the suggestions, @Hangtooth! I really appreciate that you suggested me cFosSpeed and Process Lasso, they might be just the kind of tools I need to maximize the potential of my toolkit! :p

I'll be sure to update my configuration and make a post in this thread once I've tested them out! :p

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
First of all, thank you so much @Hangtooth for taking the time and putting all that effort in such a detailed and descriptive post! I greatly appreciate it! :p

Regarding VLC/PotPlayer: I have seen some friends who work as computer technicians install the K-Lite Codec Pack on many machines - simply because it worked, and no user (especially beginners or those who don't want to know and mess with things) would ever complain about a video file not playing. I personally have been a fan of VLC for any and all my video files, as well as my audio files. The first media player I tried and the primary one I ever will be using. I did install K-Lite Codec Pack once, but I always just left it there as a backup - and in the end I uninstalled it. Recently I tried BS.Player. Same story - tried, left it there, uninstalled it in the end. Recently I tried PotPlayer - this one's quite worth it, I tested it and it works pretty good and smoothly, it's got nifty feature and all that. I'm going to keep this as backup and see how it turns out. Still, though, VLC will remain my top pick for a video player. I have more than capable hardware, so there is no noticeable difference in playback speed for me at all, no matter the media player that I use. (NOTE: I also use QuickTime for my visual FX projects, and for this purpose only)

I have been hearing and reading a lot about cFosSpeed and Process Lasso. I'm the kind of user who loves versatile utilities - hence the reason I constantly update my toolkit for the new versions of COMODO Cleaning Essentials/Killswitch and all of the Sysinternals utilities. These two tools though, cFosSpeed and Process Lasso, seem to have more applications and uses than just tweaking and diagnosing a system. They not only aim for functionality - they aim for the improvement of the overall performance when it comes to gaming or watching movies, and for me, even rendering a 3D scene or an AfterFX project. I can only say that I will be definitely trying these out in the very near future, as in "right now", maybe. :D

Thanks, again, for all the suggestions, @Hangtooth! I really appreciate that you suggested me cFosSpeed and Process Lasso, they might be just the kind of tools I need to maximize the potential of my toolkit! :p

I'll be sure to update my configuration and make a post in this thread once I've tested them out! :p
I am sure you will grow to love PotPlayer i know i do. ;):D

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
View attachment 78276 Also, what part of Greece are you in? Visited Athens, Naxos, Paros and Ios (the Cyclades) for 3 weeks on holiday in the 80's when house music was a baby and raves did not yet exist. Awesome memories (those that I can recall) and the Cyclades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia are truly my idea of heaven on earth!
Typing a separate post for this part. :D

I currently live in Evros, however for obvious reasons I cannot share the exact location/region I reside in. :D

Thanks for the kind words on my country - I really appreciate it, and I sure am glad you enjoyed your holidays back then! The Land truly is beautiful - however the overall situation these days isn't as nice and I wouldn't recommend that you return any time soon. :(:mad::p:D

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Wow fort knox eat your heart out.
A nuclear armed malware would not get through that arsenal of defences.But yeah good for you dracus,You can never be too careful.

Its nice to see your using comodo internet security.That would/should be enough for most people.

Reactions: Logethica

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Thanks for the kind words on my country - I really appreciate it, and I sure am glad you enjoyed your holidays back then! The Land truly is beautiful - however the overall situation these days isn't as nice and I wouldn't recommend that you return any time soon. :(:mad::p:D

Every time I hear about the economic situation in Greece I am truly saddened. I was hoping Greece joining the EU would help bolster your economy, and I cannot really understand what happened. Economics and politics are just too much for me.

I am sorry you have to live through such a time, and I hope Greece returns to its former glory!

The wonderful people of Greece deserve much better treatment.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Every time I hear about the economic situation in Greece I am truly saddened. I was hoping Greece joining the EU would help bolster your economy, and I cannot really understand what happened. Economics and politics are just too much for me.

I am sorry you have to live through such a time, and I hope Greece returns to its former glory!

The wonderful people of Greece deserve much better treatment.
It's all in their agendas - politicians just can't be that stupid... :mad:

And again, thank you for your kind words. I'm glad to see that there's still people who are smart enough to blame politics and politicians for the world's dark times instead of the people of the world's nations themselves. :cool:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Wow fort knox eat your heart out.
A nuclear armed malware would not get through that arsenal of defences.But yeah good for you dracus,You can never be too careful.

Its nice to see your using comodo internet security.That would/should be enough for most people.
Thanks for the re-assuring feedback, man! I sure appreciate it! :D

I've been a fan of COMODO ever since I first tried their firewall. Now I just can't let go of COMODO Internet Security. :p

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the re-assuring feedback, man! I sure appreciate it! :D

I've been a fan of COMODO ever since I first tried their firewall. Now I just can't let go of COMODO Internet Security. :p
Your most welcome dracus.
When i used windows os i only used comodo.;)

Kaffee4Eck

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2015

Regarding VLC/PotPlayer: I have seen some friends who work as computer technicians install the K-Lite Codec Pack on many machines - simply because it worked, and no user (especially beginners or those who don't want to know and mess with things) would ever complain about a video file not playing. I personally have been a fan of VLC for any and all my video files, as well as my audio files. The first media player I tried and the primary one I ever will be using. I did install K-Lite Codec Pack once, but I always just left it there as a backup - and in the end I uninstalled it. Recently I tried BS.Player. Same story - tried, left it there, uninstalled it in the end. Recently I tried PotPlayer - this one's quite worth it, I tested it and it works pretty good and smoothly, it's got nifty feature and all that. I'm going to keep this as backup and see how it turns out. Still, though, VLC will remain my top pick for a video player. I have more than capable hardware, so there is no noticeable difference in playback speed for me at all, no matter the media player that I use. (NOTE: I also use QuickTime for my visual FX projects, and for this purpose only)

I have been hearing and reading a lot about cFosSpeed and Process Lasso. I'm the kind of user who loves versatile utilities - hence the reason I constantly update my toolkit for the new versions of COMODO Cleaning Essentials/Killswitch and all of the Sysinternals utilities. These two tools though, cFosSpeed and Process Lasso, seem to have more applications and uses than just tweaking and diagnosing a system. They not only aim for functionality - they aim for the improvement of the overall performance when it comes to gaming or watching movies, and for me, even rendering a 3D scene or an AfterFX project. I can only say that I will be definitely trying these out in the very near future, as in "right now", maybe. :D

I use cFosSpeed 10.11.2250 (Beta with Lifetime License)... This is a really nice pice of software if you want to get your packets optimized. It helps alot if you want to play and upload something without any bad pings or packetloss. Its help you to get better pings and pastthrough. :)

OK I have a 100Mbit Internet-Connection but it optimize here too as it should :)

Its easily to configure and very resource friendly. :)

Process Lasso... I used it lasttime with SystemMachnic it isnt such bad but I really think it dont help so much. Some applications can work faster but most of them irgnore ProcessLasso optimizations.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.