Advice Request Drive-by downloads: Can you get malware just from visiting a website?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
What about physical proximity? I posed in hardware upgades. I bought and returned5 laptops in past 10 days. 4 brand new and one used they all had malware without ever connecting go internet. I bought first 2 at amazon 3 at BestBuy which I check at store. BestBuy and amazon are Trump whitehouse. This is about to be Super Spreader Event Attack.
What software detected the malware? Are you sure it was actual malware and not PUPs or false positives?

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I was reading through this fascinating thread again, especially posts that I missed earlier, when I was reminded of the time getting hit by the MS blaster worm in the early 2000's after a fresh install of XP, before the service pack that enabled the inbuilt firewall by default. My ISP only provided me a high speed cable modem, no router combo, and I didn't own a router yet. It couldn't have been more than two minutes after the install completed when the h/drive was thrashing wildly, then I saw the worm running in Task manager.

How about this being even worse than a drive-by download!? It wasn't even necessary to browse to a website to get hit by this worm and of course no user action required whatsoever.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I was reading through this fascinating thread again, especially posts that I missed earlier, when I was reminded of the time getting hit by the MS blaster worm in the early 2000's after a fresh install of XP, before the service pack that enabled the inbuilt firewall by default. My ISP only provided me a high speed cable modem, no router combo, and I didn't own a router yet. It couldn't have been more than two minutes after the install completed when the h/drive was thrashing wildly, then I saw the worm running in Task manager.

How about this being even worse than a drive-by download!? It wasn't even necessary to browse to a website to get hit by this worm and of course no user action required whatsoever.
Haha, good XP times. Before i create new setups, i build own image with all updates and service packs included, which save a lot of time at Windows Updates and increases the security a lot.

Anyway, a lot of change since that time.
OS and software are much more secure by default.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Haha, good XP times. Before i create new setups, i build own image with all updates and service packs included, which save a lot of time at Windows Updates and increases the security a lot.

Anyway, a lot of change since that time.
OS and software are much more secure by default.

Oh yeah back in those days I knew very little about home computer security and creating backup images. Yes, XP was a kind of Swiss cheese of its own :) It does get me wondering though, that if such a porous Windows security leak could happen then, maybe it could happen again. History does tend to repeat itself.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
What about physical proximity? I posed in hardware upgades. I bought and returned5 laptops in past 10 days. 4 brand new and one used they all had malware without ever connecting go internet. I bought first 2 at amazon 3 at BestBuy which I check at store. BestBuy and amazon are Trump whitehouse. This is about to be Super Spreader Event Attack.
Consider this as a suggestion from a friend, you should really take an opinion from a psychiatrist. it will only help you. I hate to say this but I seriously doubt you are showing symptoms of schizophrenia.please don't consider this as a rude post. I really want to help you. Is this the first time you had experienced such an incident? Have you experienced such baseless and illogical doubts before, if so please take the help of an experienced medical practitioner.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.