Advice Request Driver from Lenovo identified as virus. False positive?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Jay44

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 22, 2022
The "Sabsik.FL.A!ml" detection's on Microsoft Defender is a detection by AI Machine Learning.
Even if the recognized AVs (Kaspersky, GDATA, Bitdefender, F-Secure etc.) do not detect it, I can't say that it is 100% clean... (given the detection Sophos / Malwarebytes)
But on the other hand, Symantec/Norton has removed the detection....

The most likely hypothesis is that Lenovo uses a confuser (to protect source codes) that has potentially been used by a malware, hence the "PowerShell" detections...

If someone has a download link to run it on a virtual machine, I take :)
Thanks for reply.
Because I don't know if I can post link here, I DM you the driver's information page, whink includes a download link.
Thanks for your kindly help again!

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Microsoft is fast at fixing false positive when reported to them. Though in this case of this driver, Lenovo themselves should contact Microsoft and sort it out quickly and should even pause the delivery of the driver for now. But TBH, Lenovo should have checked this beforehand. Even our resident developer on this forum Andy Ful submits his apps to security vendors prior to releasing a new version to make sure popular AV products don't detect his tools after releasing.

Jay44

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 22, 2022
Microsoft is fast at fixing false positive when reported to them. Though in this case of this driver, Lenovo themselves should contact Microsoft and sort it out quickly and should even pause the delivery of the driver for now. But TBH, Lenovo should have checked this beforehand. Even our resident developer on this forum Andy Ful submits his apps to security vendors prior to releasing a new version to make sure popular AV products don't detect his tools after releasing.
I want to report to Microsoft at first, but they force me to uploaded file.
BTW, I report to Lenovo psirt this week, they said they have a team on this issue, but don't have results to share yet.

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello guys!

After testing, I can give you a verdict.
He sent me the link, I was able to download it and test it.

Result : It's a 100% false positive :)

Already, the file is about 780Mb (I downloaded it very quickly, I have fiber optics).
Then, it is signed, but that means nothing, you can also sign a malware you will say...

Well, nothing happened. The installation went smoothly :)

Here are the screenshots.

He used PowerShell once, probably to replace a driver.

1eGxWvwj.png

qASRQTpi.png

mnwP6BbO.png

Nothing has been detected and the virtual amchine is doing very well.
It is a false positive of the antivirus :cool: ;)

Jay44

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 22, 2022
Hello guys!

After testing, I can give you a verdict.
He sent me the link, I was able to download it and test it.

Result : It's a 100% false positive :)

Already, the file is about 780Mb (I downloaded it very quickly, I have fiber optics).
Then, it is signed, but that means nothing, you can also sign a malware you will say...

Well, nothing happened. The installation went smoothly :)

Here are the screenshots.

He used PowerShell once, probably to replace a driver.

1eGxWvwj.png

qASRQTpi.png

mnwP6BbO.png

Nothing has been detected and the virtual amchine is doing very well.
It is a false positive of the antivirus :cool: ;)
Actually, I downloaded MB at first, and MB detect 11F3.exe as trojan Powershell.

Maybe the new database fixed it?

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

It should be unrelated, as a video driver in unrelated to a BIOS update.
If you say so but I was just assuming the driver included WITH the NIOS update was why MB was flagging it. Please read again.

CVE-2021-3971: A potential vulnerability by a driver used during older manufacturing processes on some consumer Lenovo Notebook devices that was mistakenly included in the BIOS image could allow an attacker with elevated privileges to modify firmware protection region by modifying an NVRAM variable.

Reactions: Jay44

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If you say so but I was just assuming the driver included WITH the NIOS update was why MB was flagging it. Please read again.
The detection "Trojan.PowerShell" is in no way related to a BIOS vulnerability. It seems that the download is just for the video driver anyway.

Reactions: Jay44
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Ok was posted, then removed. Backdoor

Lenovo issues fixes for laptop backdoors | Malwarebytes Labs

Apr 21, 2022 · Lenovo issues fixes for laptop backdoors UEFI. UEFI is a specification that defines

But yes you are correct, the OP downloaded the driver and it was not because his computer was shipped with the backdoor .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay44

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 22, 2022
I submitted it to Microsoft today, and now they have removed the detection. So the false positive is gone.
But it also shows how incompetent or careless the people at Lenovo are. They couldn't even submit a false positive report.
View attachment 266103
Thank you for your help ☺️
I contact to Lenovo Twitter, Lenovo website support, and ask them if they can report to Microsoft.
Seem they did't do this.🤔

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.