Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am interested in both but I am seeking help from the MT community on which of these (From A Security POV) would be a better choice, as I will be utilizing the paid version of the most secure option. I do currently have a free MEGA Acct. But when it comes to a Paid account I want the best security for my buck, thats why I am asking here brfore I step up and pay for either option. I am more interested in which will protect my files and data best.
I don't care about storage size, sync perks, free or paid, ect.
I don't think MEGA is hosted in the US, while DropBox is hosted in US (I think) as their main is in Cali and MEGA is in New Zeland. Correct me if I am wrong, and does this have an impact for either of these from a security standpoint ?
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
PeAcE

Reethu

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2014
I like Mega. It downloads really fast compared to your usual file storage services. Plus I love it's security, where it is encrypted from the client side using AES algorithm. Also Mega has a vulnerability reward program of up-to 10,000 pounds for reporting security problems.

Compared to MegaUpload, seizure of servers and files is not as easy. I would use it as long as it's alive. Then I might switch when that time comes, but I'd be definitely glad that I used it once when it was active. :)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Huracan
I have 2 1.5TB Seagates, and am getting 2 more
I want to lighten the burden on my desk area, it already looks like Dr. Frakenstein occupies this space lol
I have a good amount of images, documents, and Installers I want to store elsewhere.
I went through it all over the past 2 days and narrowed down much of it to whats relevant.
Have already cleaned out my MEGAupload today and one 1.5TB drive.
I put this off for too long and am now paying for it :)
PeAcE

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Dropbox uses standard secure protocol like Google Drive and OneDrive compare to Mega which already uses strong encryption.

But its your choice as remember that don't rely too much on cloud especially if you have insufficient connection around for accessibility.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks jamescv7, you bring up a valid point.
I have one of the worst ISP's in the biz with Exede, it's satellite internet, so clouds can bring it to a crawl, rain, high winds and more factors.
I know this may seem obvious to many, but in my rush to get things sorted this kind of thing slipped my mind.
I tend to store only the things I don't use daily of very often so I guess I tend to use the cloud like some may use a storage shed. I may keep a extra HD on hand just incase accessing things gets too hectic. Thanks

Reactions: jamescv7

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
From a security stand-point ONLY the only advantage MEGA has is that it uses end-to-end encryption. If you trust their claims, you are the only one that can access your files, even if the physical servers are seized. However, in terms of data safety I wouldn't put all my eggs on one basket, let alone on a basket as shady as MEGA. I mean... There's a possibility that they close doors without any warning and you end up losing all your data, as it happened with MEGAUpload. This is much less likely to happen on Dropbox. However, the possibility of being spied is much bigger since they only use in transit encryption. The data is stored encrypted at the servers but the key is owned by Dropbox, so if they want to they can read or give access to others (NSA!?) to what you store there. And this is true for ANY cloud storage solution that doesn't use end-to-end encryption (e.g., Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, etc.). There are others that provide end-to-end encryption (e.g., Tresorit and SpiderOak).

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Laoel

Level 1
Verified
Apr 3, 2016
I always used dropbox and I not know how MEGA works, but by the past of KimDotCom (with megaupload) not is much reliable in make an upload of your personal files on MEGA. Like the majority said, go to the Dropbox. Is more secure and if you want one more layer of security, you can add the two step verification on Dropbox (that uses the same system of google two step verification).

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks all of you for your feedback, you rock.
I have started testing (free version) of a couple of services, I went and got 2 32gig USB drives and have most of my stuff from the HDD's on them for now.
I encrypted the USB's so they need a password to be accessed. I will continue testing cloud options till I find one that employs "end to end"
For now hubiC that Butterfly suggested is holding a good amount of my stuff, while I look at SpiderOak & Tresorit as well as any other end to end storage options.
In the end I will also keep copies of my backups on these large encrypted USB drives.
Thank You for taking the time to help, it means a lot to me.
PeAcE

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi guys,
i'm also looking for a new cloud provider. Some years ago (6-7 years) i was using (for only few weeks) this service: Powerfolder.com ( Private and Public Cloud file sync and share ) . Can anyone of you guys still recommend this provider?

Personally I switched to hubiC which provides free 25gb and is owned by the huge host "OVH", here's my referal code if you want to help me out with some more gigabytes "AAUXIV". :oops:

I didnt know this provider ( hubiC: Online storage for all your files – hubiC.com ) before: so thanks for this information seems to be a very good alternative: i found some positive post in some german forums about hubic.com

LASER_oneXM....
.....live from EUROPE!

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
hi guys,
i'm also looking for a new cloud provider. Some years ago (6-7 years) i was using (for only few weeks) this service: Powerfolder.com ( Private and Public Cloud file sync and share ) . Can anyone of you guys still recommend this provider?

I didnt know this provider ( hubiC: Online storage for all your files – hubiC.com ) before: so thanks for this information seems to be a very good alternative: i found some positive post in some german forums about hubic.com

LASER_oneXM....
.....live from EUROPE!

im using hubiC it work good with alot of free space fast sync and mobile app too.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you ok with china stuff, look into baidu cloud 2TB (just got their account). Encrypt everything before you upload.
Although I have nothing against manufactured good in China (Asia). It's sometimes better to think about how reliable these services really are, instead of who is offering the most.

What happens when you have uploaded over 1TB of pre-encrypted data, and they decide to shutdown over the coming months. You're back to square one, except you have to re-download all the data.

Reactions: frogboy

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had problems more than once with google drive desktop app, where it saved an older version of a file and overwrote the most recent version. Very, very annoying. It happened to me more than once. I will never use google drive desktop app for files that I am editing. Dropbox is smarter, it knows how to deal with problems. If there is a conflict between two versions of a file, and it doesn't know which is the more recent one, it keeps both, and calls it a "conflicted version" or something like that, and you never lose your work that way.

Reactions: Jrs30

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I always have an offline version of everything in the cloud stored in a encrypted HDD by VeraCrypt. Due to MEGA being on shaky ground, I've decided to go back to my default OneDrive option. As for MEGA vs Dropbox, I voted for MEGA but can not recommend it if you don't storage your data offline as well. For online only, go for Dropbox as it will be there for sure.

@Butterfly I've used your refer code to sign up. I will use this service to backup my OS files from Macrium Reflect. Not having a file size limit is one of the major reasons I choose this for that task. Backup files are quite large after all and I do believe most others (including OneDrive) have about a 10GB file size limitation or less. That is close but not enough (and I'd rather not waste time and split them up).

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I had problems more than once with google drive desktop app, where it saved an older version of a file and overwrote the most recent version. Very, very annoying.
I have also had this problem! The blog Google Drive 've seen several complaining about it! Up until today this problem has not been fixed. :/

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.