Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am interested in both but I am seeking help from the MT community on which of these (From A Security POV) would be a better choice, as I will be utilizing the paid version of the most secure option. I do currently have a free MEGA Acct. But when it comes to a Paid account I want the best security for my buck, thats why I am asking here brfore I step up and pay for either option. I am more interested in which will protect my files and data best.
I don't care about storage size, sync perks, free or paid, ect.
I don't think MEGA is hosted in the US, while DropBox is hosted in US (I think) as their main is in Cali and MEGA is in New Zeland. Correct me if I am wrong, and does this have an impact for either of these from a security standpoint ?
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
PeAcE

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is Box.com end to end encryption Huracan ?
Yes, Box.com can boast of a lot security and privacy settings, it's primary targets are for business customers, but provides a personal solution for home users. However, the most common complaint is the limited file size upload, which I think it's at 250MB.

After some considerations between Dropbox and Box.com, I chose Dropbox for it's ease of use, widely support and popular.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Poll reopened and removed time limit for vote. Also added a new option since some members mentioned other services.
Thanks

Reactions: Jrs30

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
All data sent to Mega.co.nz is encrypted with a user-created, 2048-bit RSA key before it leaves your computer. Nobody can decrypt your data, not even the Mega.co.nz employees, as long as you do not tell anyone else the encryption key that you created. Even the file names are encrypted although you can see them after entering the encryption key. If some person does manage to hack in and copy the data you uploaded (which is unlikely), the result will be useless without the encryption key. He or she cannot even see the file names or tell where one file ends and the next begins. This guarantees safety of your data. In fact, there is no option to upload
unencrypted data; everything is always encrypted. With Mega.co.nz, you control the encryption, you hold the keys, and you decide who you grant or deny access to your files with no risky requirement to install any software.
It’s important to note that you must remember your encryption key. If you forget it, there is no method of retrieving it again from Mega.co.nz. The company says this is for two reasons: (1.) to make sure no one can impersonate you and ask for the password and (2.) Mega.co.nz and its employees have no idea what your encryption key is! If you lose the encryption key, your files are lost forever with no hope of recovery.

Everything is said above. Although Kim Dotcom said that it's good time to backup data from MEGA servers, main executives confuted it.
Also, I agree that every cloud backup should be a 2nd option and the first one should be external HDD.

A

Alkajak

Slightly off-topic: What is the best on-demand way of keeping a close eye on an external HDD's health to make sure that your files aren't at risk of being lost to hardware defect?

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
Between the two Dropbox is the obvious choice. MEGA can no longer be trusted after Kim Dotcom sold it. I am currently looking for something new and hubiC looks really promising. 25GB for free, €50/$55 for 10TB.. that is a really good offer. Im gonna try it out and use Boxcryptor/Cryptomator before uploading files, just to be sure ;)

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

sunrise

Level 2
Verified
Aug 2, 2014
Between the two Dropbox is the obvious choice. MEGA can no longer be trusted after Kim Dotcom sold it. I am currently looking for something new and hubiC looks really promising. 25GB for free, €50/$55 for 10TB.. that is a really good offer. Im gonna try it out and use Boxcryptor/Cryptomator before uploading files, just to be sure ;)
If you are ok with using a China cloud hosting site, you can use Baidu which offer 2TB FOC. Also, why bother to encrypt with that? Should use Veracrypt + Fort instead of Boxcryptor/Cryptomator.

rigor

Level 2
Verified
May 20, 2016
If you are ok with using a China cloud hosting site, you can use Baidu which offer 2TB FOC. Also, why bother to encrypt with that? Should use Veracrypt + Fort instead of Boxcryptor/Cryptomator.
What do you mean by Fort? There are a few reasons why I don't want to use Baidu. First of all it is unreliable, and second it has slow upload speeds/upload cap per day or something like that.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Is there any cloud storage provider that offer encryption features? So far I don't see Dropbox or OneDrive has tht.

So looking for alternative before decided on boxcryptor as last resort.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.