Most Secure ?

• DropBox

Votes: 25 58.1%
  • MEGA

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Other services (please list which one)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Total voters

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I am interested in both but I am seeking help from the MT community on which of these (From A Security POV) would be a better choice, as I will be utilizing the paid version of the most secure option. I do currently have a free MEGA Acct. But when it comes to a Paid account I want the best security for my buck, thats why I am asking here brfore I step up and pay for either option. I am more interested in which will protect my files and data best.
I don't care about storage size, sync perks, free or paid, ect.
I don't think MEGA is hosted in the US, while DropBox is hosted in US (I think) as their main is in Cali and MEGA is in New Zeland. Correct me if I am wrong, and does this have an impact for either of these from a security standpoint ?
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Thanks Alkajack,
What makes me just a little nervous with the Google option is access.
I don't share the things I store, I use cloud storage for just that "storage"
Would Google in your opinion be a more secure choice than DropBox ?
Maybe I should ask from an Encryption standpoint too, that would be valid
from a security standpoint I think.
PeAcE

Last edited:
A

Alkajak

Access of a particular file or folder is only given when you share that file or folder with a person's email address, and they have to accept the share. Otherwise, access is a non-issue.

Security standpoint, I would say you're equally secure with either. I have an Android phone that requires a Google account, and my main email provider is Gmail, so I went with Google Drive to keep everything consistent.

Jrs30

Verified
Trusted
Between these two I get DropBox like @Alkajak said ... At any time the Mega can be ended! While DropBox is firm and has millions of users who rely on the service, I would not think twice! I would choose DropBox! I do not use DropBox because in my opinion Google Drive is better.

Butterfly

Level 2
I was a MEGA user until I heard the news that MEGA is now going to be owned by an actual criminal, Dropbox is now the very obvious safe option. Personally I switched to hubiC which provides free 25gb and is owned by the huge host "OVH", here's my referal code if you want to help me out with some more gigabytes "AAUXIV". :oops:

Butterfly

Level 2
Nothing beats a password protected flash drive in terms of ease-of-use and convenience of access.
Not really when it's something like your picture or music collection that you might update every week, I find cloud storage much more convenient because of the quick syncing. :D

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Definitely would go for Dropbox because it is more reliable and is not at risk of shutting down any time soon. Even though it has significantly lesser free space, you can be sure that there is almost 100% up time for it.

Personally I go with Dropbox over even Google Drive just because of how the cloud handles shared files, which to me is the most important aspect of having a cloud storage for your work.