Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I am interested in both but I am seeking help from the MT community on which of these (From A Security POV) would be a better choice, as I will be utilizing the paid version of the most secure option. I do currently have a free MEGA Acct. But when it comes to a Paid account I want the best security for my buck, thats why I am asking here brfore I step up and pay for either option. I am more interested in which will protect my files and data best.
I don't care about storage size, sync perks, free or paid, ect.
I don't think MEGA is hosted in the US, while DropBox is hosted in US (I think) as their main is in Cali and MEGA is in New Zeland. Correct me if I am wrong, and does this have an impact for either of these from a security standpoint ?
Thanks for your feedback in advance.
PeAcE

A

Alkajak

Kim dotcom warns mega users to backup their files

You've read this already, which is a bit of a preparation for whatever happens next with MEGA. MEGA or any variation of it has always been at risk of shutting down at any given time, so I personally wouldn't use it myself.

Dropbox is great, but I think Google Drive is definitely the best cloud alternative right now, security standpoint included.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thanks Alkajack,
What makes me just a little nervous with the Google option is access.
I don't share the things I store, I use cloud storage for just that "storage"
Would Google in your opinion be a more secure choice than DropBox ?
Maybe I should ask from an Encryption standpoint too, that would be valid
from a security standpoint I think.
PeAcE

Last edited:
Reactions: Alkajak
A

Alkajak

Access of a particular file or folder is only given when you share that file or folder with a person's email address, and they have to accept the share. Otherwise, access is a non-issue.

Security standpoint, I would say you're equally secure with either. I have an Android phone that requires a Google account, and my main email provider is Gmail, so I went with Google Drive to keep everything consistent.

Jrs30

Level 11
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Between these two I get DropBox like @Alkajak said ... At any time the Mega can be ended! While DropBox is firm and has millions of users who rely on the service, I would not think twice! I would choose DropBox! I do not use DropBox because in my opinion Google Drive is better.

Butterfly

Level 3
Verified
Jul 28, 2015
I was a MEGA user until I heard the news that MEGA is now going to be owned by an actual criminal, Dropbox is now the very obvious safe option. Personally I switched to hubiC which provides free 25gb and is owned by the huge host "OVH", here's my referal code if you want to help me out with some more gigabytes "AAUXIV". :oops:

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Definitely would go for Dropbox because it is more reliable and is not at risk of shutting down any time soon. Even though it has significantly lesser free space, you can be sure that there is almost 100% up time for it.

Personally I go with Dropbox over even Google Drive just because of how the cloud handles shared files, which to me is the most important aspect of having a cloud storage for your work.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.