New Update DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Desktop (Mac / Windows)

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
I'm excited to try it!
Edit - Just installed it and it installs through Microsoft store/app installer which I'm not keen on :( It's very fast and snappy though which is nice. UI and interface is nice and minimalistic. Hopefully there will be support for 3rd party extensions in the future
Wait there is no support for extensions. Isn't it based on chromium?
Edit: Installed it on my PC. On launch Simplewall notification for msedgewebview2.exe poped up so 😞... Also not much configurable as of now.

Last edited:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

I'm sure there's more if you look for it, as a matter of fact, you can talk to the guy who developed it if you hook-up with Reddit, Twitter, yada yada.

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That's a weird way of saying "we are using Chromium but don't wanna say we are using Chromium" (on Windows OS).

The WebView2 control uses Microsoft Edge as the rendering engine to display the web content in native apps.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
That's a weird way of saying "we are using Chromium but don't wanna say we are using Chromium" (on Windows OS).
How on earth did you read that in to what was said?

I'm sorry, but web page rendering is an issue for you? What possible way can that make DDG "chromium based"? If it was a Google page renderer, maybe.

Seriously, when Mac user's got the desktop DDG browser Window's users screamed "what about us". Well, now you've got it.

Can I suggest you just try it... you might be surprised.

JustInTime

Level 1
Feb 21, 2022
What possible way can that make DDG "chromium based"?
@brambedkar59 is saying that DDG is using MS Edge Webview 2 which uses MS Edge which is based on chromium so it is like saying "I live in Florida but I don't live in USA".
The Microsoft Edge WebView2 control allows you to embed web technologies (HTML, CSS, and JavaScript) in your native apps. The WebView2 control uses Microsoft Edge as the rendering engine to display the web content in native apps.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just tried this browser, screenshots: new tab page, main browser settings.

#1.png#2.png

This browser does use technology: Microsoft Edge WebView2

#3.png

Last edited:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I normally don't do Beta software but I was curious about this one so I downloaded it. The lack of extensions is definitely strange. There are also no themes to change the appearance other than the default light/dark/Windows theme. It looks really stark and plain. There is no way to set a home page and the bookmark manager really does not do very much except import bookmarks from another browser.

The built in ad blocker/tracker blocker does seem to work. It blocked ads on the sites I tested but there is no option to white list or allow ads where ad blockers might block other content. DDG browser also failed the AMTSO phishing test. I wonder if DDG will eventually allow extensions from the chrome store. Or maybe they will have their own proprietary extensions or borrow extensions from Firefox?

I see the browser having good potential if DDG fixes it up with useful tools/settings and extensions without any unwanted bloat. That would be the only way I might be interested in using it. I realize it is a Beta but still for now I say DDG browser needs a lot more work.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Something else I just noticed, when you open a new tab in DDG it shows a list of your recent browsing history and blocked trackers. That part is OK but there is no way to set a specific page to load when you open the new tab. A minor thing but still it's a feature I would like to see implemented.

C.H.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Does it pass the privacy tests here? If not then extensions are needed.

F

ForgottenSeer 100397

I tested out the DDG browser. The DDG browser has the potential to rival Chrome once it reaches full functionality and stability. The beta is operating smoothly. I would appreciate the release of the EXE version.

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm excited to try it!
Edit - Just installed it and it installs through Microsoft store/app installer which I'm not keen on :( It's very fast and snappy though which is nice. UI and interface is nice and minimalistic. Hopefully there will be support for 3rd party extensions in the future
The current desktop version for Mac, allows integration with Bitwarden. Does the Windows edition not have this yet?
Bitwarden and DuckDuckGo have partnered to offer Bitwarden functionality inside the DuckDuckGo macOS browser! The integration allows for seamless auto-filling, creating, and updating of credentials in your Bitwarden vault while using login forms in DuckDuckGo. The integration requires the Bitwarden desktop app to be installed on your machine and unlocked in order to access vault items from DuckDuckGo.
IMO — I do not believe it’s their intention to make their Privacy Browser less secure, by allowing anyone to install any third-party extensions.

Feedback can be submitted directly to them from the Settings page > About.

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello there, fellow malwaretipsians!

Ranting is not something I usually do (although I'm French ha ha), so if you're not exactly in the mood for that feel free to skip it.

Gonna sound harsh, but this browser is more of a sad joke really. The philosophy of using OS rendering APIs for web page rendering is not the worst, but when it comes to Windows it backfires, as it relies on Blink -the rendering engine used by Chromium-based browsers- and likes being chatty with Microsoft. But given the previous controversy between DuckDuckGo and Microsoft, one shouldn't be surprised they're hand to hand in such twisted, trust-uninspiring way.

Yet another browser with subpar features (I get it it's a beta and not feature-complete, but I don't have high hopes for the final product), yet another browser going to use Chromium tech at its core (although here, it's "indirectly" but still), and a second hypocrite move from DuckDuckGo ("We do stuff to protect your privacy, ask our friend from Redmond").

Gonna happily stick to the Firefox/LibreWolf/Vivaldi trio for now, beduckduckgone!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.