New Update DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Desktop (Mac / Windows)

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I have read with great interest the comments in this thread. It is clear that, since the recent introduction of the Windows version, there are issues with DDG I, as a lonley Mac user, weren't across that present concerns for me. Thanks for the heads-up folks.

Interestingly I had recently returned to Safari as my primary browser because of DDG's lack of innovation and development over the past couple of year's. It seemed to be going nowhere.

So, can you guy's give me a quick summary of your thought's on Opera as an option to Safari?

My primary interest in Opera is it's Crypto Browser because it provides Web3 functionality not offered by Safari. I know Brave offers similar options but I tried Brave and we just didn't get on.

I'm more than happy to stick with Safari if it get's the thumbs up though.

Cheers.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I see the browser having good potential if DDG fixes it up with useful tools/settings and extensions without any unwanted bloat. That would be the only way I might be interested in using it. I realize it is a Beta but still for now I say DDG browser needs a lot more work.
(y)(y)
Just tried this browser, screenshots: new tab page, main browser settings.

View attachment 276420View attachment 276421

This browser does use technology: Microsoft Edge WebView2

View attachment 276422
This stripped-down browser is for noobs or airheads. The only marginally significant feature I see is the ability to "Fireproof this site" which BTW offers no explanation as to what it does, something the brainless may need.

Edit: It's one saving grace may be that it's a Windows Store App, so I presume it has appcontainer security.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Mac (beta)

What's new in v1.44.2​

• Fixed an address bar button display bug.
  • We’ve made improvements to Email Protection when filling out forms on websites. It’s now easier than ever to hide your email address and block email trackers. You can get Email Protection in Settings or by clicking on the Dax (the Duck) icon in email fields.
  • If you're importing bookmarks and passwords from Firefox, you won't need to enter a "Primary Password" if you don't have one set.
  • Fixed a bug that caused the app to sometimes crash.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

What’s new in v1.45.1​

• If DuckDuckGo is launched from outside the Applications folder, we'll show a reminder to move DuckDuckGo to the Applications folder.
  • We've updated the instructions for importing data from 1Password to reflect the latest version.
  • We fixed a bug preventing browser data from importing to a new Mac when using Migration Assistant.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
New beta version 0.43.0 for Windows, but looks like no new features nor improvements on browser settings page...

DDGB.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

What's new in v1.47.1​

• The data import instructions have been updated to match the latest version of 1Password.
  • We added tips and shortcuts to the new tab page to make it easier to get the browser set up just as you want it.
  • Have multiple Logins saved for the same site? You can now add notes in the Autofill panel to help tell them apart and keep your credentials organized.
DDG_Beta_1.47.1.png

Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
DuckDuckGo is pushing down the throat of his new browser, only this time aggressive, I even scared when I went to search on duckduckgo.com he downloaded the browser DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser automatically and without any interaction on my part, I will record next time and show it here for you.:oops:
1689992745717.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
DuckDuckGo is pushing down the throat of his new browser, only this time aggressive, I even scared when I went to search on duckduckgo.com he downloaded the browser DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser automatically and without any interaction on my part, I will record next time and show it here for you.:oops:
I usually search with DDG and it's not loading DDG browser installer here :unsure:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Where do you downloading this browser? I have bookmarked this official link for download => public beta

I don't know if that helps to avoid ALL downloads automatically... On Firefox, I have selected to option for downloads "always ask you where to save files"
Chromium-based browsers has similar named option for same purpose, I knew that for Edge and Opera.

Btw, DuckDuckGo browser for Windows, new beta version: 0.45.1 but looks like no changes on browser UI nor new features in Settings.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Mac (beta) — 3 MB

What's new in v1.50.0​

• We're excited to introduce a new browsing feature — Fire Windows. These special windows work the same way as normal windows, except they isolate your activity from other browsing data and self-destruct when closed. This means you can use a Fire Window to browse without saving local history or to sign into a site with a different account. You can open a new Fire Window anytime from the Fire Button menu.
  • You can now close a window with only pinned tabs by pressing Command+W.
  • We fixed reordering favorites in the last row on the home screen.
  • We've added a new appearance setting for the bookmarks bar, so you can use it just the way you like.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Mac (beta) — 3.6 MB

What's new v1.51.1​

• You can now close a window with only pinned tabs by pressing Command+W.
  • We've added a new appearance setting for the bookmarks bar, so you can use it just the way you like.
  • We fixed reordering favorites in the last row on the home screen.
  • We fixed a bug that caused incorrect URLs to be suggested when typing in the address bar.

Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.