New Update DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser for Desktop (Mac / Windows)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser (beta) for Mac update — 37.5 MB

What’s new in v1.52.2​

• Favorites opened with a keyboard shortcut (Command+Option+Number) now open in the current tab.
  • Duck Player now opens correctly from links that open in a new tab.
  • More reliable “open in external application” option for links meant to open in other apps.
  • The browser no longer hangs unexpectedly when leaving an Autofill popover in Catalina.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Just tested duckduckgo browser for windows, with adguard you have zero ads. Its like old edge, no features but no bloat either, works like charm but im not sure how active the development is behind it to give it a go as full day browser

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Edit: It's one saving grace may be that it's a Windows Store App, so I presume it has appcontainer security.
1695817946752.png

It doesnt use appcontainer as default, is there some way to make it run in appcontainer?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just tested duckduckgo browser for windows, with adguard you have zero ads. Its like old edge, no features but no bloat either, works like charm but im not sure how active the development is behind it to give it a go as full day browser
It does, at least on the Mac beta version it receives weekly updates. It has its own in-app updater with a change-logs and download file size. From the thread below, you can see the frequency of posts for new updates.
I like to believe it's the same for the Windows build, however, I cannot confirm whether this is true or not. Either no one uses it, or the dev team provides no change-logs for the Windows beta version for this thread to stay updated.

As both browsers are in beta phase, they may contain bugs that could be disruptive for every day use. I advise using it as a secondary browser until their final release. The Mac version has native Bitwarden integration, and Duck Player to watch YouTube videos without Ads.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
It does, at least on the Mac beta version it receives weekly updates. It has its own in-app updater with a change-logs and download file size. From the thread below, you can see the frequency of posts for new updates.
I like to believe it's the same for the Windows build, however, I cannot confirm whether this is true or not. Either no one uses it, or the dev team provides no change-logs for the Windows beta version for this thread to stay updated.

As both browsers are in beta phase, they may contain bugs that could be disruptive for every day use. I advise using it as a secondary browser until their final release. The Mac version has native Bitwarden integration, and Duck Player to watch YouTube videos without Ads.
Yeah its my secondary browser for now, adguard doesnt work with the android version. On windows its different story(y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
so fireproofing a website is more or less the opposite of, or reducing, privacy... I'm a tad surprised the ddg browser offers this "feature" (if I'm understanding this on a quick read)
Surprised by what exactly?

Fireproofing serves as a convenience factor more than anything else, by preserving cookies and site data. It makes DDG Privacy Browser act more like a conventional browser (ie. Edge, Chrome, Firefox), but these are only for the sites that the user specifies.

By default, Fireproof is off for all sites.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Surprised by what exactly?

Fireproofing serves as a convenience factor more than anything else, by preserving cookies and site data. It makes DDG Privacy Browser act more like a conventional browser (ie. Edge, Chrome, Firefox), but these are only for the sites that the user specifies.

By default, Fireproof is off for all sites.
right... but if I want to browse conventionally, I'll just use Edge or Chrome or Firefox, ie, I & no one needs ddg browser to browse conventionally... hence my "surprise" :rolleyes: Or in another sense if I did not know better (now), the term "fireproof" sounds or perhaps implies that it is a privacy enhancing feature & not the opposite.

Reactions: Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
right... but if I want to browse conventionally, I'll just use Edge or Chrome or Firefox, ie, I & no one needs ddg browser to browse conventionally... hence my "surprise" :rolleyes: Or in another sense if I did not know better (now), the term "fireproof" sounds or perhaps implies that it is a privacy enhancing feature & not the opposite.
That was my first thought too, when I saw Fireproof, thinking of it as in to "shield against" i.e. cookies, site data...and not of allowing it.

Reactions: simmerskool

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I have no idea. I assumed it had appcontainer since it was an MS Store app. Maybe I was being presumptuous. 🤔
I doubt if every MS Store app runs in Appcontainer (but I'm not an expert). You can check it in Sysinternals Process Explorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Update for DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser Beta — 60.7 MB

What's new in 1.68.0​

• The browser now always requires authentication when autofilling your credit card into forms.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented command-click (to open in a new background tab) from working properly on Reddit links from DuckDuckGo search results.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Just tried again DDG browser for Windows (Version 0.61.5), still under slow development, still no ability to add browser extensions...
But this feature is might worth to mention: Cookie Consent Pop-ups

DDG.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.