• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
System boots but screen black
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Reinstalled graphic driver, scanned with antimalware no malware found.
During boot screen black but system boots i.e if looked closely I can see system boots fine & the desktop.

There are lights on laptop keyboard for WiFi & Sound & those glows fine. And there is a HP logo on the back of the laptop cover/shutter that too glows fine.

When I start the laptop sometimes boots fine but sometimes screen black. If I start the laptop & boots fine then subsequent restarts no probs. If I start the laptop & screen black then sometimes on 2nd try boots fine or sometimes takes many try to boot fine.

Help needed.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Drivers are the default i.e installed by Windows Updates.

Is it possible Windows 10 install could be the prob in any way like didn't installed properly, etc...?

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : Likely Windows even on 10 should notify you of possible errors when installation is failure like reverting to the older version or back to the steps for preparation of installation.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
Upvote 0

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
@yesnoo : first try to boot the windows in safe mode and try to recreate the problem in safe mode.if there is no problem in safe mode then disable all the start up item and enable one of them, followed by normal boot and repeat the process for all the start up item .if possible try to upload the screen shot of startup item under task manager

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
@yesnoo : first try to boot the windows in safe mode and try to recreate the problem in safe mode.if there is no problem in safe mode then disable all the start up item and enable one of them, followed by normal boot and repeat the process for all the start up item .if possible try to upload the screen shot of startup item under task manager
I am running Win 10 64. And have only 3 items in startup IDT Audio, Java Update & Shadow Defender. I already keep all the 3 disabled.

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Does it have AMD or Nvidia GPU? Enable IDT Audio and check whether it solves the issue or not? Try downloading from AMD/NVIDIA/Intel GPU drivers fpr win 10 x64.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Have you done a hard reset?
  1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices etc.. You want to test the computer
  2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds .
  3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.
Do you have a monitor you can connect to the laptop? If so connect it and see what happens.

As for drivers these should be installed from the manufacturer and not Windows.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Does it have AMD or Nvidia GPU? Enable IDT Audio and check whether it solves the issue or not? Try downloading from AMD/NVIDIA/Intel GPU drivers fpr win 10 x64.
Device Manager - Display shows Intel. It was installed by Windows Updates. If I try to install the driver from manufacturer site i.e HP, Windows mention its an old driver & new/latest driver is already installed.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Have you done a hard reset?
  1. Disconnect all peripheral devices and remove all USB devices etc.. You want to test the computer
  2. Disconnect the AC power adapter, remove the battery, and then press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds .
  3. Reconnect the AC power adapter (but do not connect the battery), Press the Power button, Look for glowing LEDs near caps lock and num lock keys, and Listen for sounds of a disk drive and fan turning.
Do you have a monitor you can connect to the laptop? If so connect it and see what happens.

As for drivers these should be installed from the manufacturer and not Windows.
I have done the above. Everything seems fine.

And previously I had tried manufacturer i.e HP driver. Its not compatibe with Win 10 i.e I get graphics driver not responded prob time to time.

I have a HD TV with HDMI Cable. And a laptop that has damaged HDD i.e it boots & mention no OS found or something. Can these be used in any way & how?

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I should choose safe mode & the option minimal, right?
Yes. Always install drivers from intel or OEM and please disable automatic driver download option through WU. Are you able to get into BIOS with a valid screen for each related settings incl. boot options etc.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok...
Msconfig - Boot - Safe Mode with the option Minimal selected.
Shutdown system.
Started system fine - 1
Shutdown system
Started system fine - 2
Shutdown system
Started system black screen - I didn't waited much & hit the power button on laptop to shutdown - 3
Started system black screen - This time I waited & screen appeared directly on Windows logon - continued to desktop - 4
Shutdown system
Started system black screen - Same as 4 above

It seems Safe Mode fared better compared to Normal Mode mentioned in OP.

I have total 5 drivers installed.
Intel Graphic, IDT Audio & ENE CIR drivers were installed by Windows Updates.
JMicron Flash Media Controller & HP 3D DriveGuard drivers were installed by me from HP site for my model [Win 7 64 (Previous OS) - Win 10 drivers not available]. On installing these drivers there were no probs/errors by Windows. Could these drivers be the prob?
I understand HP 3D DriveGuard & know not required for any needed things.
I Installed JMicron Flash Media Controller thinking its USB functioning related or card reader related like copying photos from Camera card, etc... Am I right? And do I need this or Windows 10 has something basic included for this?

Should I try uninstalling drivers?
I had tried uninstalling graphic driver but guess during boot Windows 10 detect driver & install it coz on reaching desktop I didn't see anything installing. Checked Device Manager & graphic driver was back. So I guess have to try uninstalling graphic driver with the option remove driver file too to rule out graphic driver prob, right?
And guess would be good try uninstalling HP & JMicron drivers, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Yes you're right about SD card reader. But HP 3D drive guard, is it compatible with w10 or you installed 7/8.1 compatible sw? So the screen is working fine in safe mode, right? If so, Download latest intel gpu driver from intel. If you know how to use Display Driver uninstaller (DDU), clean out intel driver and install w10 compatible driver from intel.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes you're right about SD card reader. But HP 3D drive guard, is it compatible with w10 or you installed 7/8.1 compatible sw? So the screen is working fine in safe mode, right? If so, Download latest intel gpu driver from intel. If you know how to use Display Driver uninstaller (DDU), clean out intel driver and install w10 compatible driver from intel.
So If I dont install JMicron driver I will not be able to access like Camera card, etc... on the system?

HP 3D DriveGuard for Win 7 64 my previous OS on the laptop. Win 10 drivers not available on HP. During install Windows didn't mention any probs/errors.

As mentioned in the previous post the screen worked better in Safe Mode with little difference i.e 2 times screen appeared fine & 2 times screen appeared directly on Windows logon. Tomorrow I will try again both in normal & safe mode.

Device Manager - Display - Shows driver ---
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
Driver Version - 8.15.10.2702

I searched on Intel for Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family & in the list Win 10 is not there.
Drivers & Software

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.