Hot Take Dynamic Music Pill puts a slick media controller in your GNOME panel

lokamoka820

Level 55
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dynamic Music Pill is a GNOME Shell extension that embeds a pill-shaped media controller into your desktop panel. It shows album art, artist name and track title alongside an animated waveform visualiser.

 


Neat concept, and the “pill” layout makes a lot of sense for people who want richer media controls without dedicating a whole panel applet to it.

What to keep in mind (security + stability)
GNOME Shell extensions are powerful because they run inside the GNOME Shell process and aren’t sandboxed like Flatpaks. That doesn’t mean this extension is unsafe, but it does mean you should treat any third-party extension as fully trusted code.

  • Prefer trusted install sources: use the official GNOME Extensions site (extensions.gnome.org) or a well-known upstream repo linked by the author. Avoid random re-uploads/mirrors.
  • Check the project’s upstream: if there’s a public GitHub/GitLab repo, skim for active maintenance, issues, and recent commits/releases.
  • Verify GNOME version compatibility: extensions declare supported GNOME versions (metadata.json). Mismatches are a common cause of shell crashes, broken panels, or high CPU usage.
  • Be cautious with “visualizer/waveform” features: anything that samples audio levels, polls players frequently (MPRIS), or animates constantly can increase CPU/GPU usage—especially on laptops.
  • Know the safe rollback path: if it causes instability, disable it from the Extensions app (or via Looking Glass / TTY if the shell won’t load). Keeping a “how to disable extensions from the console” note is useful for recovery.

Practical recommendation
If you try it, install from the author’s official link, confirm it supports your exact GNOME Shell version, and monitor GNOME Shell CPU usage for a day or two; if anything feels off, disable/remove it rather than trying to “tune around” crashes.

Sources
 
Dynamic Music Pill brings lyrics to your GNOME desktop
The “big” new addition is lyrics support. When you listen to a track with synced lyrics in a compatible player, you can view those lyrics by opening the applet controller and clicking on the album art inside of it.

The lyrics are shown in a freely scrollable widget, with the active line bolder in white for more emphasis. You can scroll up and down whilst tracks are playing. If you click a lyric line, your music player jumps to that part of the track.

There is an option to show lyrics appear in the panel pill itself, still in time with what you’re listening to. This feature is not enabled by default. As the pill width isn’t huge, lyrics auto-scroll, and the speed depends on how long it takes to transition to the next line.
 
Since making GNOME my new desktop environment home, I latched onto a newer and seriously modern music player called Recordbox.

recordbox-tycho.png

It's written in highly optimized Rust and GTK4 + Libadwaita to make it as native and up-to-date as possible. It is so extremely fast and handles my large hi-res FLAC library like a dream. I couldn't ask for much more.

I also enjoyed my time with Lollypop, which has been a major app in the GNOME sphere. It boasts some features missing in Recordbox, but it's still built on GTK3—it's basically in maintenance mode until the creator finally finishes and releases v2, but who knows when that will happen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I recall that in the past, when I was searching for a desktop environment that is mature enough to be my home, every desktop environment was lacking something. Now that most desktop environments are complete, it is difficult to choose one. Gnome is more beautiful, and KDE Plasma is more sophisticated.
 
I recall that in the past, when I was searching for a desktop environment that is mature enough to be my home, every desktop environment was lacking something. Now that most desktop environments are complete, it is difficult to choose one. Gnome is more beautiful, and KDE Plasma is more sophisticated.
I tend to like GNOME/GTK apps. GNOME isn't perfect by any means, but it is customizable. It's not very difficult to make it work and look more like a traditional desktop if that's what you're looking for, and that's exactly what Linus Torvalds does with his Fedora/GNOME setup.

I've repeatedly encountered critics lambasting GNOME for forcing a "tablet experience," which I disagree with. I've made myself pretty comfortable with the standard GNOME experience—just some extensions added to slightly enhance it.

I haven't been all that drawn to KDE, but I understand the appeal.

I'm intrigued by COSMIC. 100% Rust, independently built from the ground up with its own graphic toolkit? That's bold and impressive. I have a hard time imagining leaving GNOME for a small-time, young desktop environment, but I'll definitely be watching its development.
 
I tend to like GNOME/GTK apps. GNOME isn't perfect by any means, but it is customizable. It's not very difficult to make it work and look more like a traditional desktop if that's what you're looking for, and that's exactly what Linus Torvalds does with his Fedora/GNOME setup.

I've repeatedly encountered critics lambasting GNOME for forcing a "tablet experience," which I disagree with. I've made myself pretty comfortable with the standard GNOME experience—just some extensions added to slightly enhance it.

I haven't been all that drawn to KDE, but I understand the appeal.

I'm intrigued by COSMIC. 100% Rust, independently built from the ground up with its own graphic toolkit? That's bold and impressive. I have a hard time imagining leaving GNOME for a small-time, young desktop environment, but I'll definitely be watching its development.
good info about DEs -- fwiw I tried popOS Cosmic the other day in VMware and buggy, removed popOS the next day... fedora / gnome here (today).
 
good info about DEs -- fwiw I tried popOS Cosmic the other day in VMware and buggy, removed popOS the next day... fedora / gnome here (today).
COSMIC will take some time to become fully ready, as it's still in its initial release phase and will undoubtedly encounter some issues. Two days ago, it gets a new update available immediately to POP_OS users, instead of waiting for the next release (semi-rolling).
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top