E7_Durden Security Configuration

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
well security suites and Malware really intrigues me and I always try out different softs , but I consider myself as a novice-standard when it comes down to malware-techy knowledge ..
I found myself reading and checking this site a lot when in fact I have loads of studying to do for my medicine exams (just like now) , so I consider MalwareTips as my 'happy place' ^_^

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Please put UAC at default and enable Smartscreen. Be sure to do data backups once in awhile wether it be Google Drive or a USB. :)
I knew that this will come up :p, I don't like cloud backups , but yeah I think I'll do the USB thing
but about smartscreen , well I know the fact that the moment I chose to use windows I actually kinda of Invited microsoft to "move in with me" , but disabling it gave me a little good feeling about privacy - even though not much is change.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you don't have to switch to kaspersky if you are happy with bitdefender.
especially since zemana is giving you added protection (I assume you have it on real-time protection).

You are using chrome? Chrome is a pretty secure browser.

but you would be smart to make system image backups, you can use free software, like macrium reflect or aomei. Then you can always restore your entire system at a click, just in case anything goes wrong, or you are not happy with some changes you made to your system.

by the way, smart screen is not an invasion of your privacy, it just means the software is not well known. It's sort of like a AV that works opposite: instead of blocking malware, it allows only known and trusted programs.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
smartscreen (now enabled) ;)
great.
and don't forget to put the User Account Control back up to default level. That, too, is not an invasion of your privacy.
Don't get me wrong -- there is plenty of privacy invasion in win10, and there is plenty you can do about it, too. You can read all about it here on MT as well as other places.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
actually it was already on default, it was on that setting before I formatted the computer, I just forgot, I'll edit the post

L

Lucent Warrior

As mentioned, you should enable the OS file reputation "Smart Screen" and also some sort of back ups should be made for personal and system files.

Reactions: Durden and frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would also suggest enabling Smartscreen as well as some type of back up solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: Durden

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
Any reason to disable Smartscreen?
I've re-enabled it.. updating the configuration now ;)
well the reason actually was that when windows 10 was released to the public and the big privacy concern was catching the headlines, I read multiple articles on how to improve privacy, and some suggested disabling Smartscreen although it might compromise the security a little bit.

Durden

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
actually guys I'm sorry , I guess I got things confused, now upon editing the post I've noticed that you ask about the smartscreen file reputation not the smartscreen filter..
the articles I read were talking about smartscreen filter

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
For a backup solution i would like to recommend Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both a very good free and reliable version. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.