Elementary OS 6 - Early Access Builds now available

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Homepage - The fast, open, and privacy-respecting replacement for Windows and macOS ⋅ elementary OS

Get Early Access builds* - *GitHub account required
These are pre-release daily development builds of elementary OS. Current major known issues include, but are not limited to:
  • Installation failures while installing offline or with full-disk encryption
  • Session defaults to “Ubuntu”; user must choose “Pantheon” from greeter menu
  • Curated apps are not available in AppCenter
  • Look & feel issues, including unfinished dark style support
  • General features and APIs are not finalized
Please see the 6.0 Release GitHub Project for a full list of outstanding tasks and regressions.

These issues, and more, are expected to be resolved before a stable release of elementary OS 6. Until that time, do not use these images on a production system. Please refrain from publishing reviews or other in-depth looks of early access builds.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Has anyone here used this OS? I've had a look at it a few times and run it briefly but haven't had the time yet to check it out at all thoroughly. If you have it would be interesting to see what you think of it so far. Thanks in advance.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Has anyone here used this OS? I've had a look at it a few times and run it briefly but haven't had the time yet to check it out at all thoroughly. If you have it would be interesting to see what you think of it so far. Thanks in advance.
I have used it some years ago.
Absolutely the most beautiful OS I have used.
A review here:
Final thoughts
There is a lot to like about elementary, but it is not perfect. The Parental Controls are advertised as a key feature on the distributions website, but it just does not work. There are open bugs about it, but open bugs about a non-working feature still means that the feature does not work. Until it does, it should not be a selling point for the distribution. Aside from that, elementary is wonderfully polished. I personally find the use of the Command symbol in the Keyboard Shortcuts window to be a little odd, and think that the non-curated software warning should be toned down or rephrased for packages that are supported by Canonical (i.e. these packages are not directly supported by elementary, but do receive fixes), but other than a few odds and ends like those examples, elementary OS 5.1 is very well put together. If you are looking for a solid distribution for yourself, or are searching for a distribution to recommend for users coming from macOS, this distribution is an excellent choice.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I have used it some years ago.
Absolutely the most beautiful OS I have used.

It did look good whenever I've used it too. Your thoughts about suggesting it as an alternative to macOS users makes a lot of sense to me as well.

The fact that you have used it for some years makes me think that its got to be worth me trying it out more comprehensively when I have the time to do that. Thanks.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It did look good whenever I've used it too. Your thoughts about suggesting it as an alternative to macOS users makes a lot of sense to me as well.

The fact that you have used it for some years makes me think that its got to be worth me trying it out more comprehensively when I have the time to do that. Thanks.
Well it's probably still great.
You can only decide that yourself after trying it out.
I had great fun and learned a lot while distro hopping.
Another visually interesting Linux distro is deepin:
I stopped using Linux because of my job, my kids and some family members all use Windows 10 and Office 365 and I got tired/bored maintaining and keeping up to date with two operating systems.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Two shouts for Deepin and high recomendations for Elementary, anyone here got any spare time I can borrow?!

Thanks for the pointers, I will check them out when I can. Maintaining more than one OS is time-consuming, one is bad enough at times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.