Always notify
Real-time security
Avast Free Antivirus 2016 + Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Firefox: Ublock origin, Ghostery, Blur, Greasemonkey, Privacy Badger, WOT, DownThemAll!, Browser Backgrounds, FlagFox, Forecastfox (fix version)
Maintenance tools
Ccleaner, PrivaZer, Glary Utilities Pro 5, Auslogics Disk Defrag Professional

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
For a backup solution you could have a look at Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper both have a good and reliable free version. ;)

D

Deleted member 178

WinXP firewall is very bad, i suggest you to use a 3rd party one or use a security suite integrating a firewall.

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I dont use backup cause i dont have much space in disk (150gb total space, 8gb free space). And i think that Windows firewall its ok, at least from my knowledge. Ill maybe try 3rd party firewall, but ill have to do a research, and the most important to read their privacy politics, cause a lot of security programs colect/sell too much information.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For starter you may try ZoneAlarm Firewall Free version which the complexity is design to be simplified, now for the backup you may use Cloud Storage and store those important files.

Add a backup browser.

But if as possible, upgrade to the higher version of Windows for security besides on performance.

Reactions: Online_Sword
L

LabZero

Backup and recovery plan is very important.
If you do not have space on your Hard Disk, possibly you can use an external HDD.
Good use MBAE (Anti-exploit) to mitigate possible attacks to unresolved Windows XP vulnerabilities.
Consider an OS upgrade as possible.

Reactions: frogboy

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Before considering anything I would upgrade your OS to at least Windows 7

Reactions: LabZero

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
Yes i know that, but i need to get a better PC to upgrade to 7. 2Gb Ram 1.80ghz processor and only 8gb of free space.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

An XP user, that is not common :)

User Access Control, am I correct in saying XP doesn't have UAC?
You could make Windows Update Automatic, although they don't release updates it will do the ones already released.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I think that is a way beter to switch to some GNU/Linux distro than using an unsupported OS since there are plenty of lightweight distributions. Just take your time and look at DistroWatch.

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I have a new PC now with Windows 7. When i move all my files and programs from my old pc ill update my config. I have to add a couple of programs that i couldnt install in XP. In the new PC i only have the antivirus, windows firewall and UAC at max.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit it doesn't use that much Hard Drive Space. What is taking up all the room maybe run defraggler if your hd is full and cluttered.

Elpibe

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
I have MBAM premium and Heimdal pro, can i use both together? if not which should i choose?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.